Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2009, 07:42 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
these are typical ineffective agency ads. a page full of words about photography, none of which make you want to go and take pictures. nor do they do anything to express the quality of Pentax cameras and lenses with those tiny pictures of the equipment. they're just like these forums actually, words and memories only a Pentax user would care about. in fact these ads are aimed squarely at us, the current Pentax user.

ads shouldn't be used to reassure or assuage the fears of current users. they should promote the brand to new users and express the qualities of a brand instantly, not stroke the egos of the current user (and the agency's).

no canonikon user would stop at this ad, much less read through all of it, since there's nothing about that tiny photo that would raise any interest at all compared to the impressive equipment they have already. the pictures don't even show how small these cameras are as they don't relate to anything floating in that sea of words.

how do you express weathersealing and build quality without relying on (more than a handful of words)? why do even actual photographers not know what the Limited lens is, how many there are, or why they're great?

i better see a close up of the K-7, in USE, all beaded up with rain, with a photographer's hands wrapped around it using the controls effortlessly, eyes focused on the subject. show the size, show the ergonomics, show the quality, show it's specialty... in CONTEXT. make everyone stop on that ad when they see this thing and wonder "why doesn't my camera have that (X)???"

(X = size? weathersealing? control? toughness? character? FEELING?)
They should hire you

05-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
these are typical ineffective agency ads. a page full of words about photography, none of which make you want to go and take pictures.

(X = size? weathersealing? control? toughness? character? FEELING?)
Moot anyway. Print advertising is a sinkhole right now with readership declines in all markets.
05-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that Pentax needs to take a new tack on marketing to the 'Be Interesting' and outdoorseyness angle: these are uncertain times, and while people may still like the idea of taking chances with outdoorsy adventures and artistic possibilities, they maybe aren't so interested in taking chances with their *money.*

The same design philosophies can really be presented with an eye to that... The stuff can be billed as solid and trustworthy for all these 'interesting' personalities, maybe.
05-04-2009, 10:08 AM   #49
Damn Brit

I think Pentax should get Quentin Tarantino to produce a couple of ads for them.

05-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #50
Veteran Member

You guys are good marketers!

I'm amazed by how many interesting & catchy ideas shown in this thread.

I wish that Ned is reading this and pass it on or translate them into Japanese for Pentax Japan to consider.

With the marketing ideas here alone, Pentax surely will gain a great momentum when they launch the new K7.

So, how can we pass these great messages to Pentax higher executive like Ned?
05-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
I'm amazed by how many interesting & catchy ideas shown in this thread.

I wish that Ned is reading this and pass it on or translate them into Japanese for Pentax Japan to consider.

With the marketing ideas here alone, Pentax surely will gain a great momentum when they launch the new K7.

So, how can we pass these great messages to Pentax higher executive like Ned?
So..send this link to Ned!
05-04-2009, 01:03 PM   #52
Veteran Member

If pentax had a tv ad that would probably sort things out maybe? You can do a lot in a tv add...

Sell the personality of the camera/lenses brand etc and show example photos places you can go

i.e maybe show a pro photog in rain flying in a hand glider or microlight to get an extreme shot,

another pro up a mountain photographing some pro snowboarder shooting for a travel mag maybe,

and a nature/travel pro photog in a lushly green rainforest moist,

A pro fashion photographer doing a shoot,

and then come back to an active lifestlye family with them all going out for a walk in the woods with their dog walking to a waterfall or something

and then another family at the beach taking photos in the shoreline with the spray going over the camera and lens etc.

Open your eyes, chalenge yourself, do the daring, travel, explore, excite, have fun, Be interesting! Use the Pentax K-7
You only live once now go make the most of it!

That'd be pretty cool I think

Last edited by dopeytree; 05-04-2009 at 01:13 PM.
05-04-2009, 01:04 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
So..send this link to Ned!
I want to but I don't know his email address.
That's why I'm asking if anybody knows how to pass on this info.

Give me his contact info and I'll contact him.
05-04-2009, 01:23 PM   #54
Veteran Member

they could then also have more in depth videos about the pros on a website with sample photos and more info about the cameras etc

the video about the pros could be like this maybe in a style a bit like this:

One video for each pro explaining what features of the camera he/shes using today etc

Ovb this guy isn't pro but it's a nicely produced video! The pentaxien videos are ok but nothing very fresh

Wheather they have the budget to have a TV ad I very much doubt but still they can do the website and videos about pros..

Last edited by dopeytree; 05-04-2009 at 01:30 PM.
05-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
I want to but I don't know his email address.
That's why I'm asking if anybody knows how to pass on this info.

Give me his contact info and I'll contact him.
Just go to his blog. He lists a contact address. I am not at liberty to give out his e-mail address. Sorry.

Ben
05-04-2009, 03:48 PM   #56
Veteran Member

it's gone - now you need to remove the quote above

I didn't realise you'd gone back and taken down the email from here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/57950-sponsorship-pentax.html

Please don't be mad I simply shared what you shared on here
05-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rustyoldbug Quote
From a potential customer point of view, they need to just get the stuff out there. Yesterday was the big annual sale for what is suppose one of the better local camera shops here in San Diego. We went down - the SO wanted a backpack type bag for her Canon and the "Deathstar" lens she bought for it. I went along to grab some ilford film and to look at the Pentax digital bodies in person since they are suppose to be a Pentax Dealer.

There were factory reps there for the big sale from tons of companies - a lady from Tamrac spent a good 20-25 minutes with my fiance helping her try her camera in multiple bags to find the right one. The whole counter was full of people crowded around the Nikon rep as he gave his pitch (reminded me of the snake oil guy you see portrayed in the old westerns), another crowded counter for the Tamron guy. There were other counters not so crowded, but reps were there - Sony, Canon, etc...

In the whole place there was a case with a few models of Pentax binoculars and another case that had a couple of Pentax Optio point and shoot cameras - not a Pentax DSLR in sight - no promo material, no posters, nothing - very discouraging. As a customer in the market for a DSLR - It makes me wonder what the Pentax folks are thinking and hesitate on a big purchase because I don't want to drop money on a new Pentax body and have it be orphaned like an Amiga computer in a year or two...
You make a good point: What good is a cool marketing campaign when the cameras are available almost nowhere to be seen or touched? Most people need physical contact with a product before the desire to own it grows into a decision to buy it. Just spend some time in an Apple store to see what I mean. Those places are bustling virtually all of the time. People love seeing and playing with the sleek, sexy machines. In contrast, you would have to make a concerted effort to find a store that even carries, let alone promotes Pentax cameras. Pentax's decision to forgo specialty stores and even big box stores in favor of the internet and word of mouth is a risky strategy, IMO.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 05-04-2009 at 08:57 PM.
05-04-2009, 09:12 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dopeytree Quote
I think that pentax should go after the active lifestyle market which is quite in fashion at present..

Here's 2 adds:

I prefer the "you can't" one
No offense, but I can't imagine anyone but a confirmed Pentax geek taking the time to read these ads. Just because they stroke the egos of folks such as ourselves does not mean that they will attract people from outside the fold.

Rob
05-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #59

Pentax 645d, with the ability for the camera to sense a 645 to k mount adapter, to fill the needs of people who want to use their old lenses.

It would then be same issue with pentax again being the "cheapest" to medium format SLRs. Obviously it still probably be pretty expensive. But as long as it's priced near or below D3x and whatnot it would catch on.

I think a FF camera would be a mistake, especially in this ecnomy. And it wouldn't be anything new that isn't already out now. Where a more affordable medium format digital would be. With a kmount adapater and the camera knowing this, you'd be fill most people's needs and draw more people to buy pentax.

I mean again, sure they could make a FF and it be great and maybe even better than other FF out. But in the end it'll still just be another FF camera. Pentax 645d be something different.
05-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #60
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As Ned has stated, there really is no need for a FF camera.
For the majority of people, APS-C sensors will suffice for all applications.

Pentax would do well to address its practical 'deficiencies' (compared to the competition) of low light AF speed, high ISO performance and perhaps even continuous shooting and writing speed.

But in the end, Pentax should keep its identity as a niche company for photographic purists who go against the grain and stand out because of their photographic skills rather than boast about the advancement of their gear's technology.

Such I think is a greater legacy and promotion of the brand "Pentax" than trying hard to win over those who've been sold out for Canon/Nikon.