Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
BG2 - 17 pins. Corrected.
If it has all the features I think it has, I might finally be a BG user

05-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ha, neat. I didn't expect any word on this so soon. But more pins probably equals more functions that they could put on there. I think it'd be fun if they came out with a couple of versions, maybe one pretty basic, and a real Cadillac.

An optional grip probably *would* be a good place to put a GPS option... keep the basic body from getting any bigger or more expensive over it for those with no need of it.
05-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I was wondering why a GPS module would help photography. I can't think of a reason why this would be useful. I'm asking for real and I'm not teasing anyone. Can someone please explain this to me.
05-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #19
Veteran Member

it's used for automatic geo-tagging of your images so that you know where you took a particular picture. It would be accurate down to a few meters I guess. Of course, it doesn't help with making better pictures.

I could see it being a neat feature for a world traveler who likes to remember where they took a certain photo without having to individually tag every photo.

-Jim

05-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #20
Veteran Member

I'll give you my answer. Yesterday I was out driving around an unexplored (for me) area in Southern Arizona. All dirt roads, poorly marked, no readily identifiable landmarks. Unfortunately, because I was passing through at mid-day, many of the photogenic scenes were under poor light. However, I live close enough to come back several times and plan on returning when it's storm season, or for sunrise/sunset photography. A GPS would have given me an easy way of recording the scene I want to return to later. Are there other ways of achieving this? Sure, but this seems the easiest to me, especially if I was hiking to many of these spots.

This may not be everyone's idea of a use for GPS, but I would love to have it for this reason.

Todd
05-04-2009, 09:44 AM   #21
Inactive Account

I guess I'm the only one who wouldn't find it useful as I use my phone's GPS module to tell me where I am. And most of the times I really know where I'm taking a photo.

Almost immediately battery consumption comes to mind. I take it the GPS module would use up precious battery juice and in order to function properly it would have to have a clear view of the sky (triangulation is a bi*ch). I know how fast my phone's battery depletes with GPS tracking turned on and it's 1500mAh 3.7V 5.6Wh.

If I'm missing some part of the advanced technology the GPS modules in digital cameras use, someone please correct me. I know the Nikon D200 used GPS tagging, but I have no experience with that camera.
05-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I'm sure you're not the only one. On the other hand, phone batteries go dead too, and it's easier for me to carry around backup batteries for the camera than the phone.

05-04-2009, 10:17 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fejker Quote
I guess I'm the only one who wouldn't find it useful as I use my phone's GPS module to tell me where I am. And most of the times I really know where I'm taking a photo.

Almost immediately battery consumption comes to mind. I take it the GPS module would use up precious battery juice and in order to function properly it would have to have a clear view of the sky (triangulation is a bi*ch). I know how fast my phone's battery depletes with GPS tracking turned on and it's 1500mAh 3.7V 5.6Wh.

If I'm missing some part of the advanced technology the GPS modules in digital cameras use, someone please correct me. I know the Nikon D200 used GPS tagging, but I have no experience with that camera.
Haha. You know, it just occurred to me that built-in GPS could make a nice anti-theft device, like Lojack for your camera.

I believe the Nikons just link with a separate receiver, which might work OK. I would think serious outdoorsey types would carry a unit of their preference.
05-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gnaztee Quote
I'm sure you're not the only one. On the other hand, phone batteries go dead too, and it's easier for me to carry around backup batteries for the camera than the phone.
I said it in another thread ... I am absolutely happy with my logger sitting in my photobag. Switches on and off based on movements and always had power and fix (so far -- it recharges when I sync). All my photos geotagged to ~5m exact. Geosetter.de adds to the joy of taking photos, so isn't a burden at all.
05-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #25
Inactive Account

I agree Ratmagiclady. I'm just concerned that Pentax will pack too much "good" stuff in their new camera so we'll need to carry a bag of batteries with us.
With my K10D and D-BG2 I can shoot for nearly a week in the mountains without a single recharge.
05-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fejker Quote
I agree Ratmagiclady. I'm just concerned that Pentax will pack too much "good" stuff in their new camera so we'll need to carry a bag of batteries with us.
With my K10D and D-BG2 I can shoot for nearly a week in the mountains without a single recharge.
I wouldn't be able to speak to the practicalities, but I do think in general, that grips are a great place to put all kinds of things people might like... I could see them making a really big one just to have lots of extra battery power for those who want to use the video a lot. Maybe run some lights.

I'm kind of in the 'make it the best still camera possible and let the rest fall where it may' camp, myself. I'm just now waiting on my BG-2, mostly I'm just hoping it'll augment my steadiness and just get me out the door faster, (I drive my sweetie nuts with dithering sometimes, knowing there's always plenty of juice and a spare card with the camera will be two fewer things to wonder about when I switch bags. ) Don't need much, myself. I think if there was a bunch of choices, I might go for one which offered more shooting controls. Maybe some hot keys you could use for settings or some such.
05-07-2009, 03:11 AM   #27

I'm not too sure if the extra contacts on this new grip adds that much fancy electronics into the mix. Given all the contacts on the BG2 I would almost assume that they use at least one pin for each button on the grip. Just add a few more buttons on this new grip (the dedicated iso button, an af button, a live view button ?) and you'll add a few more pins as well.

If the K-7 uses a more advanced battery with electronics for monitoring inside the battery itself, like on a laptop or a cellphone, this can also add a couple of pins.

That said you don't need a lot of contact points for serial communication like SDIO either..
05-07-2009, 05:29 AM   #28
ogl
Banned

Exclusively designed for the PENTAX K-7 camera body, the Battery Grip D-BG4 is