Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2009, 07:31 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pic of grip...

well, not of the D-BG4 but I have a picture of a proposed D-BG2 that was not used as it was a fairly late development after the Hoya "we go rugged"statement. By that time they were already very far with the K-7 so they decided to skip it for the D-BG2 and instead use it as the main feature (besides holding batteries) of teh D-BG4....D-BG2 advanced prototype

05-07-2009, 07:34 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fejker Quote
I was wondering why a GPS module would help photography. I can't think of a reason why this would be useful. I'm asking for real and I'm not teasing anyone. Can someone please explain this to me.
I shoot several hundred existing condition photos of architecture sites at the beginning of a project for reference during design. I have to put each individual photo number on a huge site plan drawing so that everyone involved in the design can figure out exactly where each shot was taken. I'd say for architectural photographers geo tagging has significant advantages.

For that matter, I would think that pretty much anyone could benefit from knowing exactly where they were standing when a particular photo was captured. Especially when they are looking through their photos from 5 years ago. How about when their great, great grand-kids are looking through them some day? That info would seem to be at least as valuable as the other specs captured in the exif data.
05-07-2009, 07:36 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
well, not of the D-BG4 but I have a picture of a proposed D-BG2 that was not used as it was a fairly late development after the Hoya "we go rugged"statement. By that time they were already very far with the K-7 so they decided to skip it for the D-BG2 and instead use it as the main feature (besides holding batteries) of teh D-BG4....D-BG2 advanced prototype
I'm sure that your doctor told you that inhalating toxic fumes is dangerous. Then why do you keep doing it?
05-07-2009, 07:46 AM   #34

A nice thing for nature photos you can prove were you got it and it would be hard for someone to coppy if you know exacaly where its from

05-07-2009, 08:21 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
I shoot several hundred existing condition photos of architecture sites at the beginning of a project for reference during design. I have to put each individual photo number on a huge site plan drawing so that everyone involved in the design can figure out exactly where each shot was taken. I'd say for architectural photographers geo tagging has significant advantages.

For that matter, I would think that pretty much anyone could benefit from knowing exactly where they were standing when a particular photo was captured. Especially when they are looking through their photos from 5 years ago. How about when their great, great grand-kids are looking through them some day? That info would seem to be at least as valuable as the other specs captured in the exif data.
Certainly there are strong reasons for some people wanting GPS but this relies on having a fairly accurate GPS unit.

IIRC correctly the GPS unit integrated into Nikon's P6000 P&S has a 10m accuracy (or it might actually have been worse than this)
05-07-2009, 10:09 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to admit there have been times when I've wondered if you could have like one of those little nav systems in a camera. There's already a screen and a computer in there. Subscribe when you're making a journey.

I bet that eventually, people will have all their electronic thingies networked to all manner of stuff, so it's possible cameras of the future will just have some kind of wireless communication with something like an Iphone's supposed to be. Along with all manner of other things.
05-10-2009, 04:45 AM   #37
Forum Member

K-7's BG4, more pins than BG2, BG3.

*istD's grip, D-BG: 14pin
K10D's grip D-BG2: 17pin
K200D's grip D-BG3: 8pin

D-BG : 14pin
shutter(2), power on/off, FOV(1), front dial(2), rear dial(2), AE-L(1)

D-BG2 : 17pin
shutter(2), power on/off, FOV(1), front dial(2), rear dial(2), AE-L(1), exposure control(1), green button(1)

D-BG3 : 8pin
shutter(2), power on/off, AE-L(1)

BG3 - BG1 : 6pins
FOV(1), front dial(2), rear dial(2) = 5pins
1 remain pin .. I don't know

BG2 - BG1 : 3pins
exposure control(1), green button(1) = 2pins
1 remain pin .. I don't know again

--

BG4 : 22pins
5 more than BG2.

because BG4 following K-7's thinner size, I doubt using D-LI4 again.
(new battery with InfoLitume?)

If D-LI4 again, BG4 will be thicker.

5pins for SSD or more SDHC in BG4?

or....

4 direction button with OK button? It fits 5pins.
05-11-2009, 03:06 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Hmmm... those extra five pins are probably not there for vertical format video. I like the navigation button idea but I wonder if it would be in the right place without making the grip extra tall. I bet there are some new Pentax features tied to a couple of those pins.

Edit: I suspect the dedicated ISO button will take at least one of them.

05-11-2009, 03:10 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I have to admit there have been times when I've wondered if you could have like one of those little nav systems in a camera. There's already a screen and a computer in there. Subscribe when you're making a journey.

I bet that eventually, people will have all their electronic thingies networked to all manner of stuff, so it's possible cameras of the future will just have some kind of wireless communication with something like an Iphone's supposed to be. Along with all manner of other things.
Cameras of the future will be subscribed to online dating sites where they can meet the photographer of their dreams and make beautiful pictures together. Upgrading will take on a whole new level of complication...
05-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
At least one of those extra pins might be for WiFi?
05-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #41
Veteran Member

all i want in that grip is an AF button that you can reach (and also lots of other cool stuff)
05-11-2009, 10:11 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
all i want in that grip is an AF button that you can reach (and also lots of other cool stuff)
Ditto.

Just mirror the controls present in landscape to the same position in portrait orientation.
05-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #43
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
D-BG4 has no GPS or Wi-Fi.
05-12-2009, 02:19 AM   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
D-BG4 has no GPS or Wi-Fi.
Has it a AF button ?
05-12-2009, 02:31 AM   #45
ogl
Pentaxian