Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2009, 03:22 AM   #226
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's camera hard to say about class. But, it's not D90 at all.
Higher. Pentax always makes special cameras. Not ordinary.
Pentax makes cameras hard to classify, they already did this with the K10D, K20D and now the new camera. "Upper popular class" or "Upper advanced enthusiast" or "Semi pro" / "prosumer" or "Amateur video prosumer still"...

Is it a still video camera or DSLR for moving pictures?
New feature - the pictures are moving so fast that the photographer may have problems catching the pictures before they have run away! Oh, the pictures comes with GPS so they can run by themselves to the lab and be developed. (if the Police is not taking them off the streets "hey, we have lots of moving pictures on the streets today, it stirs up the traffic!"...)

With moving pictures, there is no need to store them on memory card.

05-06-2009, 05:37 AM   #227
Veteran Member

OK, I'll bite.

My guess is that the "flaw" in the body that ogl is hinting at is indeed the absence of an articulating LCD, as others have said. We all know that engineering involves compromises, and I expect that Pentax would favour greater ruggedness and smaller size over an articulated LCD.

I know that many of you won't see this as a flaw, but I for one would like to see one. It's very handy in crowds to be able to simply lift the camera overhead and compose the shot through the viewfinder.

EDIT: Um, I meant that you compose the shot through the *LCD* when it is held overhead. But you knew that, right?

Last edited by asw66; 05-06-2009 at 06:46 AM.
05-06-2009, 05:42 AM   #228
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
I think we can take it as a given that it will use a 3' screen with at least 920,000 pxels....
We certainly *are* taking it as a given, and the fact that the "Play" and "Trash" buttons were moved around on the back points in that direction. But we don't *know* (at least, those of us who have not had the privilege of looking at actual pictures of the K-7).

Personally, I don't think it would be a major problem if the screen was still the same. It's adequate.

Oh, and if the "one problem" with the body is not the screen, then my 2nd guess is that it runs on 4xAA cells instead of Li-Ion. *That* would bother me a lot.
05-06-2009, 05:48 AM   #229
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
We certainly *are* taking it as a given, and the fact that the "Play" and "Trash" buttons were moved around on the back points in that direction. But we don't *know* (at least, those of us who have not had the privilege of looking at actual pictures of the K-7).

Personally, I don't think it would be a major problem if the screen was still the same. It's adequate.
I agree that the screen as in the K20D is adequate. However, if you want to have a look, there's an image in the currently last but one page (edit: last but one post on page 125) of the megathread that shows an vague image of the back of the camera. Sufficient to estimate the size of the screen. It seems bigger.

Wim

05-06-2009, 05:55 AM   #230
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
I agree that the screen as in the K20D is adequate. However, if you want to have a look, there's an image in the currently last but one page (edit: last but one post on page 125) of the megathread that shows an vague image of the back of the camera. Sufficient to estimate the size of the screen. It seems bigger.
Indeed, it does.
05-06-2009, 05:57 AM   #231

QuoteQuote:
Oh, and if the "one problem" with the body is not the screen, then my 2nd guess is that it runs on 4xAA cells instead of Li-Ion. *That* would bother me a lot.
NO any problems with the body!
05-06-2009, 05:59 AM   #232
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Om81 Quote
Not for anyone? Not even the stubborn old-schoolers who hate DSLRs with video mode ?

05-06-2009, 06:07 AM   #233
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Om81 Quote
No bracketing button!
05-06-2009, 06:12 AM   #234
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Not for anyone? Not even the stubborn old-schoolers who hate DSLRs with video mode ?
Stubborn old schoolers don't like digital....

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
OK, I'll bite.

My guess is that the "flaw" in the body that ogl is hinting at is indeed the absence of an articulating LCD, as others have said. We all know that engineering involves compromises, and I expect that Pentax would favour greater ruggedness and smaller size over an articulated LCD.

I know that many of you won't see this as a flaw, but I for one would like to see one. It's very handy in crowds to be able to simply lift the camera overhead and compose the shot through the viewfinder.
I do not need an articulated screen for that. In my opinion lifting the camera overhead in a crowd is not very usefull as you only gain an arms length. That is not very much.... You are still too close to the top of the crowd and as we all know, the one guy who is much taller always stands in front of you. If you want "over crowd shots"you need a small ladder.

Or, hey, wow, I just got an idea.... Another way is ofcourse to mount the camara on a monopod, that would give you a true advantage.

Nope, that is not the idea I just had. If you'd just had a camera and a monopod, you'd need a humongous articulating LCD screen to see clearly, but what if you make a monopod with a screen and some connections between monopod and camera and ofcourse a camera that allows that....

Janneman rushes to the patent office.....

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
It is weather sealed.
so no limtied body, none of the limited lenses are sealed.....
05-06-2009, 06:21 AM   #235
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Janneman rushes to the patent office.....

so no limtied body, none of the limited lenses are sealed.....
just go patent a wireless transmitter in the camera and a small lcd attached to your eyeball via a glasses frame. Make it eye responsive so when you blink twice it fires the camera...... Screw this old school articulating/tethered/ect. screen......
05-06-2009, 06:45 AM   #236
Veteran Member

K-m is the Limited body, especially in the white limited edition.
05-06-2009, 06:51 AM   #237
Veteran Member

I do not need an articulated screen for that. In my opinion lifting the camera overhead in a crowd is not very usefull as you only gain an arms length. That is not very much.... You are still too close to the top of the crowd and as we all know, the one guy who is much taller always stands in front of you. If you want "over crowd shots"you need a small ladder.

Well, I hear that there are a lot of giants in the Netherlands, so perhaps this is a real problem for you. I suggest you should fix your camera to a periscope and use a remote release.
05-06-2009, 06:59 AM   #238
Veteran Member

It won't have an OVF. That'd be a huge problem.
05-06-2009, 07:04 AM   #239
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
K-m is the Limited body
it is indeed limited
05-06-2009, 07:08 AM   #240
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote

I would be disapointed by the lack of a hi-res LCD. I've seen it on the D300 and D90. It would also help for the Liveview. Now the 50D and the 500D have it. Pentax has no choice I think.

4xAA. I don't think so but it wouldn't bother me, non-proprietary batteries have their advantages. I hope they will use the same battery as K10D/K20D if it's Li-On.