Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2009, 07:04 AM   #271
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
I think ogl is in fact not a pentaxian, but is working for either Canon or Nikon. Building up great expectations of how the K-7 will surpass certain properties of other DSLR brands, only for the new K-7 to not meet certain expectations. Then, the disappointed pentaxians will go buy the closest thing to what ogl's K-7 was supposed to be, a high-level Canon or Nikon DSLR.

sigh. :ugh:

I hope this isn't true! I would love to see all the improvements that ogl talks about, I don't need all those. I enjoy being different and interesting with Pentax. I'll still be waiting patiently for May 21, hopefully to be impressed enough to cough up the money to upgrade my K200D.

-Jim
I work for MYSELF. I have nothing to do with any photo brand...NEVER.
No any relations. My bussiness is in ANOTHER area.

OK. Have a look at AF specs of Canon cameras at the market. Try it.
Only Mark 1D III has really powerful AF system.

5D Mk II, 500D, 50D are rather ordinary. No any miracles.

I have no pictures from K-7, I'm not beta-tester, but I've talked with such man...

I have no any info about noise and high ISO's noise. I enjoy waiting too.

05-07-2009, 07:11 AM   #272
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K20D's AF is already fast & accurate. But it does not have a good predictive focus tracking so I hope the K-7 is better in this department. In conjunction with my Sigma 500/4.5 APO EX it should theoretically be better for BIF shots
05-07-2009, 09:39 AM   #273
Behind-Camera

This time Pentax keeps secrets tight
05-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #274
Veteran Member

I think ogl is in fact not a pentaxian, but is working for either Canon or Nikon. Building up great expectations of how the K-7 will surpass certain properties of other DSLR brands, only for the new K-7 to not meet certain expectations. Then, the disappointed pentaxians will go buy the closest thing to what ogl's K-7 was supposed to be, a high-level Canon or Nikon DSLR.

sigh. :ugh:

-Jim
On the contrary. My bet is the other way around.

05-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #275
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
As you know, when you announce a camera there are still no finished products to supply because there are final tweaks to accomplish. You may know the spec but only when they start shipments you can test the quality of the product. What OGL or others() may have seen or test handled are early product samples which cannot be representative of the final aimed Quality. So he cannot answer that question now.

Rui
Wow, if you actually think the product is not finished less than 2 months before release, then I feel sorry for you...
05-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #276
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
Sounds like you should've told her to stick with the bridge cam if a twirly screen is one of her top needs. You should also tell her the slr won't take better pictures for her...
She hasn't bought anything yet I did manage to talk her out of the Sony (with the articulating screen)...her bridge is the same brand and has a tilt-out screen. She wanted my help on choosing an SLR...then I handed her my K10...after that, she realized that the basics like the exposure "triangle" were necessary to know
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I have no pictures from K-7, I'm not beta-tester, but I've talked with such man...

I have no any info about noise and high ISO's noise. I enjoy waiting too.
So wait...you know the specs but not the performance? What's the point of info without pics from the camera?
05-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #277
Veteran Member

i think OGL have given enough hints for us. We have 14 days to go. roughly 1.5 wk. so lets be hopeful that our "WANTS" with Pentax will satisfy us. i'm sure they don't want the pentaxians disappointed.
05-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #278
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
Nice suggestion. I've been wondering myself why this kind of thing couldn't be done in camera. It's probably quite processor-intensive though.
Not suggesting.

05-07-2009, 12:03 PM   #279
Veteran Member

Hum, some heated discussion in this thread. May I remind you of what it says on top of the screen, to the left? "PentaxForums.com - Friendly Pentax discussion Community".
Yes, that is right. "friendly".

Take care.
05-07-2009, 12:12 PM   #280
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
OK, I'll bite.

My guess is that the "flaw" in the body that ogl is hinting at is indeed the absence of an articulating LCD, as others have said. We all know that engineering involves compromises, and I expect that Pentax would favour greater ruggedness and smaller size over an articulated LCD.

I know that many of you won't see this as a flaw, but I for one would like to see one. It's very handy in crowds to be able to simply lift the camera overhead and compose the shot through the viewfinder.

EDIT: Um, I meant that you compose the shot through the *LCD* when it is held overhead. But you knew that, right?

Do you have a K20d?

Ever shot in crowds?

Put the camera in playback or liveview. Then hold it up over your head, like you'd do shooting in a crowd.

Any particular difficulties seeing what's on the screen?

*creaking a little* Way back when, people who'd chase celebrities and spray and pray for a living would only look up and see what film they were shooting. The same people now aren't crying out for such a feature, only maybe Live View suited to that kind of work. Articulated LCDs have their uses, but there's nothing stopping you now. The LCD we have already can do high-angle without even changing a setting, like my little bridge could do.

I think most of us who aren't gung-ho for video or even more-advanced live view kind of know what it's *good* for. (I'm not against having these things, myself, I just wouldn't want the finder to be any dimmer or more expensive than it has to be over it. Handy, fun, useful for the occasional trick or not having to carry a special accessory for your wandering macro shots, but not worth that better grade of lens or real performance advantage or whatever. If things are moving fast, you don't generally have time for gimmicks, anyway. )

There's kind of this notion we hear, 'Oh, Pentax can't compete with C&N for *real pro* stuff...' What, cause there's not enough bells and whistles this year?

It's actually kind of those brands who have *ditched* certain segments of the 'pro' market. Those that may never have missed it if they couldn't do 1/4000 of a second in their lives, and if they did would be worried about a half-stop of reciprocity failure. People who'd like an LX or an FE2 or an F-1 without the options cause they knew what they needed and just didn't want it fragile.

Used to be a 'pro' camera was as well made and purpose-designed as a machine could be made... It was the 'serious amateur' stuff that got the bells and whistles. The more 'pro' you are the more specialized you've ended up, likely and usually that means if you want something fancy and high performance, it's for one type of job.

The truest definition, really, of a 'pro' camera is, 'A camera you can make money on.'

Usually, it's not about what 'features' it has so much as how well it gets out of your way. Pentax has maybe attracted a lot of us who may tend to be a little Luddite, ...there's more than one Canon FD orphan here, among whom I number... Pentax has been making cameras more like *that,* too, ..yaknow, I have the big brass&glass Canons, there's an 'enthusiast' A-1 in my bag right now, .... actually, I put up with the bells and whistles cause the meter's more sensitive than the consumer AE-1Ps I love...those can be like a good hacked-together courier bike, nothing fancy, nothing in your way.

I think Canon, unfortunately absorbed a certain Nikonian standard of, 'If you were even serious, you'd have an F3.' I would be like, 'Actually, if I had Nikon money, I'd be looking at FE2s: that finder's lovely, but the thing handles like a brick on a short handle.'

Used to be you'd pay for *automation,* though. Now you pay for enough controls, and hope you can afford the 'features.' Haven't a problem with Pentax if they keep along with their ways as of the K20. Shows some respect for a photographer. And sometimes being 'pro' means knowing what you *don't* need.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-07-2009 at 12:50 PM.
05-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #281
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenn100D Quote
i think OGL have given enough hints for us. We have 14 days to go. roughly 1.5 wk. so lets be hopeful that our "WANTS" with Pentax will satisfy us. i'm sure they don't want the pentaxians disappointed.
14 days = exactly 2 weeks, not roughly 1.5 weeks
05-07-2009, 12:36 PM   #282
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dave sz Quote
Wow, if you actually think the product is not finished less than 2 months before release, then I feel sorry for you...
Actually, yes, that's pretty much the way these things work. Compare with the K10D, which was announced on 14 Sept. 2006 and released in late November. Firmware was tweaked until shortly before release, and the final version was not widely seen until very very close to that time.

It stands to reason that even people under NDA are still a way off from seeing proper samples from the K-7 using production firmware.
05-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #283
Veteran Member

=)

Thanks. I stand Corrected.
05-07-2009, 12:44 PM   #284
Pentaxian

How com Pentax Spain says 12 dias 18 horas? That should be on the 20th 16:00, European time (or 23:00, Tokyo time). It makes sense to announce it on the 20th in Europe, 21st is a holiday in many countries.
05-07-2009, 01:00 PM   #285
Pentaxian

Sorry bout the little essay, but skimming this thread, I see a lot of worries about 'Will Pentax make a 'pro' camera?

Reminds me of one of my favorite little quips when someone came up and was like, 'Hey, is that a *professional* camera?' I was like, 'It is when the meter's running, right now I'm just driving around.'