Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2009, 06:22 AM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The dealers have received official press release on May, 4.
But OPEN DAY will be close to PENTAX ESPAA 's time.

But there will be some disappointments...
what disappointments?
Still SAFOX VIII ? 3 FPS ?
should I save my $$$ for the K-7 version 2?

05-04-2009, 06:23 AM   #17
Forum Member

hmmmm
it's so pessimistic
Yes it is, I still hope pentax will introduce new body for professional work, hope it's k-7, but with pentax i hope all time.

You said, that it will be real semi pro aps-c camera. But what is semi-pro? Canon has d450 semi-pro camera and 40D + 50D pro aps-c camera? Nikon has D90 semi-pro camera and D300 pro aps-c camera? So new K-7 will be at same level like 450D & D90? I hope not.

When I shoot some fashion photos, it doesn't matter what camera it is. Everything is mostly at ISO 100 and results are +- same. But pentax is far away from C+N here too with it's 1/180 synchro speed.

For reportages is pentax no good choice. It is, when you shooting photos for home album, but no for money. If you shoot for money this kind of photography you have to deliver sharp photos with interesting moments. I shoot it 3 years with pentax and a lot of photos ends in trash because of its slow AF and no accurate AF (you can say, it's photographer's hands problem, but I tried C+N and I have to say it isn't)

High ISO noise is not good too (as I said I love pentax, but I saw C+N raw files when I shooted with it)

I hope pentax will offer new body for serious work and real (semi)professionals, not only toys for beginners like k-m, etc. I think here is gap in pentax offer and I hope and wish pentax all the best with new K-7 to fill that gap for some time.
05-04-2009, 06:26 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kolouch Quote
Yes it is, I still hope pentax will introduce new body for professional work
shouldn't it be 645D next year?
05-04-2009, 06:28 AM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ions Quote
shouldn't it be 645D next year?
And will be? For what price? You can do professional work with much cheaper cameras. Or you wanna say that you couldn't do professional work with 40D, D300 in much lower price range then 645D will be?

05-04-2009, 06:29 AM   #20

The competitors has some similiar features too, but K-7 is ALL-IN-ONE, and it's first Pentax real semi-pro camera for the last 10 year.
In terms of features, the Olympus E-3 comes closer than any other camera to the above description.

- 5 fps, 1/8000, 1/250-X
- In-body AS
- Weather seals
- 100% OVF
- LV with articulated LCD
- WB sensor
- PC sync socket
- Die-cast magnesium alloy body

The only features missing are:

- Video mode
- Contrast-detection AF
- Red-pattern AF assist
- AF micro-adjust
- 40~50 AF points
- Digital level
- 920K LCD

I don't see Pentax delivering the entire list, or even the majority of it, and I'm sure they won't include an articulated LCD. The E-3 replacement, on the other hand, has a very good chance of delivering all of these features, except the 40~50 AF points (which I personally don't need).

Prog.
05-04-2009, 06:33 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kathyk Quote
I recall similar platitudes about the K20D just prior to release and there was some disappointment initially even though it was a very nice camera.
Why do you think this will be any different? The thing is being touted as better than sex.
I'm expecting a full blown round of whinging when people realize it's just a camera.
05-04-2009, 06:41 AM   #22
Veteran Member

And will be? For what price? You can do professional work with much cheaper cameras. Or you wanna say that you couldn't do professional work with 40D, D300 in much lower price range then 645D will be?
So you are saying you cannot do professional fashion work with say... a K20D?

Also... from what I can tell the eggs that the K-7 will lay are only silver... sorry guys.

05-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
So you are saying you cannot do professional fashion work with say... a K20D?

Also... from what I can tell the eggs that the K-7 will lay are only silver... sorry guys.
Yes I could, but with still controling of focus and 1/180 is limiting factor for me.
05-04-2009, 06:53 AM   #24
Veteran Member

So what sync speed would you need then in order to not be limited?
05-04-2009, 06:55 AM   #25
Forum Member

1/250 is standard

And I don't wanna shoot fashion only, I don't wanna have one camera for static shooting and one for moving objects & low light. Why it couldn't be all in one? Like competition?
05-04-2009, 06:58 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Yes it is, I still hope pentax will introduce new body for professional work, hope it's k-7, but with pentax i hope all time.

You said, that it will be real semi pro aps-c camera. But what is semi-pro? Canon has d450 semi-pro camera and 40D + 50D pro aps-c camera? Nikon has D90 semi-pro camera and D300 pro aps-c camera? So new K-7 will be at same level like 450D & D90? I hope not.

When I shoot some fashion photos, it doesn't matter what camera it is. Everything is mostly at ISO 100 and results are +- same. But pentax is far away from C+N here too with it's 1/180 synchro speed.

For reportages is pentax no good choice. It is, when you shooting photos for home album, but no for money. If you shoot for money this kind of photography you have to deliver sharp photos with interesting moments. I shoot it 3 years with pentax and a lot of photos ends in trash because of its slow AF and no accurate AF (you can say, it's photographer's hands problem, but I tried C+N and I have to say it isn't)

High ISO noise is not good too (as I said I love pentax, but I saw C+N raw files when I shooted with it)

I hope pentax will offer new body for serious work and real (semi)professionals, not only toys for beginners like k-m, etc. I think here is gap in pentax offer and I hope and wish pentax all the best with new K-7 to fill that gap for some time.

So, tell me again exactly why you shoot Pentax?
05-04-2009, 07:01 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I reckon the only thing I will be disappointed with is the fact I won't be able to afford one for a long while.
I'm optimstic about Pentax's release.

The discussion seems to be going towards this "pro" camera thing again.
I really can't understand it.
Ok, I'm not a pro who does photography for a living, neither do I sell any pics.

Actually, I hope the K-7 isn't this supposed "pro" or "semi-pro" camera, cus obviously it will be far too advanced for the likes of me to use.

The galleries here are full of excellent photos, as are the Pentax galleries.
Hard to believe some of these guys are managing to take great pics on a K20 or other non-"pro" camera.
05-04-2009, 07:08 AM   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
So, tell me again exactly why you shoot Pentax?
Bad choice? ... True answer is .. Last time I don't know why. Pentax is too slow with releasing new models etc. I am waiting for new K-7 and if it will have features I really need, I'll stay with pentax. I mean:

- fast & accurate AF
- low high iso noise
- x-sync 1/250 or shorter
- 5 & more FPS

I don't care about video, I don't need back LCD calibrating options. I don't need live view.

I guess that improvements I wrote can help pentax back.

Pentax people are great community, I've many friends with pentax, they are different then C+N users, BUT many of them are BLIND. If someone tell that competition is better in some feature and cheaper .. pentaxians don't wanna hear it. They rather think out something then confess to it's right.
05-04-2009, 07:12 AM   #29
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

- fast & accurate AF
- low high iso noise
- x-sync 1/250 or shorter
- 5 & more FPS
May, 20 at 00.00 will give you answer.

K-7 has several speed modes.
05-04-2009, 07:16 AM   #30
Forum Member

I agree, Pentax needs to step up to 1/250th where Canon is to match the bottom line, but even Canon is faltering next to Nikon. 1/250 is better obviously, but not significantly better than 1/180. Nikon is the only choice for the serious flash photographer, at the moment imo. I think that saying that Pentax needs to step up to the level of Canon and Nikon is a little unfair in this respect, as Canon needs to step up their game nearly as much as Pentax does. Really, it's more of an embarrassment to Canon that they're pushing "pro" gear and they don't even bother to take flash sync seriously.