Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax in 5 years?

So this is the deal I made with my self... I am going to wait five years with the K20D and in the meanwhile build a lens collection to my need.

In five years I should have the K20d and all of my dream lenses DA's and FA's and hopefully a lot more pictures in my fliker gallery and maybe even one in the PPG

In five years I will go to the store and look for a new pentax camera...

What do you think the store will have to offer me?

Would I be able to use all of my pentax lenses?

Will the K20D last for 5 years?

Thanks

* I am starting from the assumption that we managed to stop the swine flu and WW3 have not started yet in five years

05-04-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You don't need excellent quality FA or DA lenses to get into the PPG. My first shot was taken with the Sigma 18-50 "kit" lens.

Although I do admit the better gear helps a lot.

PENTAX Photo Gallery That's the one. Wide-angle and slow shutter does the trick every time.
05-04-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ha!... I know
That was not what I meant just wondering how do you give imagine our cameras in five years
05-04-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

IQ does not equal PQ, I hope that more and more people understand that, if not everyone.

With that being said, my current camera bodies will be long gone in 5 years, but I plan on keeping all of my lenses that I currently have.

05-04-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It used to be that we could buy a camera and know that its a few years deal before we will have to upgrade...
and to be honest when I bought my K20D I was aiming on keeping it for a long time...

Now the K-7 is coming I really want HD video but other then that I think I rather spending my money on lenses for now and wait for a bigger update.

I am also tired of being worried about buying a DA lens in case pentax suddenly will decide to go FF.

I mean it is my main hobby and trying to budget it
05-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In 5 years I should be able to find the K7D for about US $300, so... (one's own judgments fills in the blank)
05-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
* I am starting from the assumption that we managed to stop the swine flu and WW3 have not started yet in five years
Well, as long as Pentax survives ...

Last edited by falconeye; 05-05-2009 at 04:34 AM.
05-04-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Sounds like a good plan. See you in 5 years!
05-04-2009, 09:00 PM   #9

I was browsing ebay the other day and was amazed to find that you could get an used Nikon n90s body for 30-40 bucks. This was a $1000 body when new. In comparison you can still fetch $200 for a full manual FM2n. Or you can spend that $200 on a D100 DSLR, which was close to the istD's class.

This is the reason I will never spend hard earned money on new bodies. The closest I will buy is close out discontinued body. They depreciate too fast.
05-04-2009, 11:34 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
I will never spend hard earned money on new bodies. The closest I will buy is close out discontinued body. They depreciate too fast.
The same thing happens to food you know. You can get a good deal on Corn-flakes that have expired a couple of years ago. Or - even better - medicine.
I am sure you're reading this in your ZX Spectrum while listening to your 8-track.

Ok, kidding aside, I would not buy a 5 year old camera that has been used by God-Knows-Who in God-Knows-What-Way. Quite possibly it would end up being a classy paper weight. I'm not against buying used material, just not cameras from unknown sources. I would rather try a second-hand store that offers some warranty. Lenses ,especially manual ones, I don't mind. I have a great technician nearby who can fix most kinds of damage, but I would hesitate buying a hi-tech item like a used DA*60-250 after a couple of years - unless of course it was a ridiculous bargain.
05-05-2009, 12:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

Personally I would say . as long as the K mount survives.
Not too bothered if its on a Pentax or Samsung as long as I can still use my lenses.
05-05-2009, 07:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think that with cameras we should still feel this timeless machinery feel even in the digital age (or at least with the glass)

Like when my mom is buying a German washing machine knowing she can spend more now but the damn thing will work for years

I think its good that pentax took out the stupid D from the camera names

I hope they will do the same with lenses so we could know : ok ... This is a lens... Not a digital lens. This is a lens that you can spend good money on and it will last for a long time
05-05-2009, 08:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I'd actually expect Pentax system to live longer than some other, better known brands unless something really serious happens. Because of their devotion to optics and photography.

It seems that there is some photography hype happening nowdays by the introduction of digital media and expansion of internet. The thing hasn't stabilized yet. And when it does i believe some hybrid media solution will crystallize in consumer segment (as 35mm photography did some years after numerous photography techniques appeared or got replaced in the early years - something handy, giving acceptable quality and flexibility to most everyday users in usual situations). This will force the big companies reorganize their business. Some might just cut their photography line completely, others transform it into some ubercamcorderphones.

But Pentax is already adapted to lower volumes and has its market where people are interested exactly in photography. Many of other band buyers are one time gadget geeks.
They are affected by media hype and will continue their road to new product types and features without continuing photography as their hobby or profession. Thus they will not be more or less exclusively interested in photography equipment.
You can already see a person change brand several times a year, then sell all their photo equipment, and start buying video stuff or get into computer games/overclocking, bikes etc (I'm not saying you cannot do this all at once ).

Just a thought. Correct me if i've mistaken.
05-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I think Pentax will be around in 5 years. Whether or not Hoya will have them is another story.
05-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #15
Site Supporter

End of the world: 2012
Dont worry about where Pentax is at in 5 years.