Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2009, 01:35 AM   #61
Veteran Member

AF surprise - depends on how you define "surprise".
But yes, the camera offers two focus systems - one for optical viewfinder and one for live view and video. And performance for the optical system is better than before, and the performance may be a surprise for those that states that Pentax can't do a camera with fast, reliable and sensitive autofocus.

05-06-2009, 01:35 AM   #62
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
The new camera has different speed modes, and yes fastest is with limitations.
This is quite common. Nikon's fastest is with reduced bits to make it easier for the in-camera processing to handle the information.
Limitations are ok if there will be 6mpx mode WITHOUT mirror up at 5 or more FPS and 3 FPS in full res. Modes like 20fps@1.6mpx are funny...
05-06-2009, 01:38 AM   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
But yes, the camera offers two focus systems - one for optical viewfinder and one for live view and video. And performance for the optical system is better than before, and the performance may be a surprise for those that states that Pentax can't do a camera with fast, reliable and sensitive autofocus.
Now that would be great. So far we have seen a HDMI port, a MIC in port, a movie mode on the dial, and now we also get contrast-detect AF in movie mode. But there's always a drawback with Pentax so I'm inclined to think that we will not get 1080p. om81 said that we will neither get 1080 lines, nor 720, so what will it be?
05-06-2009, 01:47 AM   #64
Forum Member

If there are 2 focus systems it looks like there will be visible image in LV during focusing ..

05-06-2009, 01:48 AM   #65
Veteran Member

I like surprises!... Yay!
05-06-2009, 01:59 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Om81 Quote
Viewfinder: 100% and 1.0X
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Not True? I measured the mirror size and divided it with the K20D's one. It is just that!
Ok, blende8 "measured" the viewfinder coverage from the press photo as well. Only to stand corrected later on because the press photo is taken with the screen not in standard position (or something along these lines, I didn't really understand). So, the press photo does not indicate a larger viewfinder, it seems.

I then interpret Om81 "unhappy smiley" to mean that the standard size viewfinder is the "one point of problem with the body" which Om81 and ogl were talking about.

Thanks for having clarified this one.
05-06-2009, 02:03 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The new camera has different speed modes, and yes fastest is with limitations.
This is quite common. Nikon's fastest is with reduced bits to make it easier for the in-camera processing to handle the information.
Yes but to be fair the last APS-C camera to use cropping to increase speed was the Nikon D2Xs which was just a minor revision of the D2X - a camera released in 2004 nearly 5 years ago.

Granted the new FF Nikons do increase speed by cropping but the the D3 achieves 9fps are native res and the D3X achieves 5fps at native res. Neither are slow cameras either way. IF the K-7 is stuck with 3fps at native res that is a bit weak compared to the competition.

Maybe if the crop mode were implemented perfectly it would be ok but I doubt that....

05-06-2009, 02:05 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Ok, blende8 "measured" the viewfinder coverage from the press photo as well. Only to stand corrected later on because the press photo is taken with the screen not in standard position (or something along these lines, I didn't really understand). So, the press photo does not indicate a larger viewfinder, it seems.
Please let me explain. If you press the latch on the ground glass screen holder just below the prism (what you would do to replace the screen), then the holder comes down. It's this holder (with the ground glass still on it) that can be seen on the leaked press photos. Although I do not know why that was done; to obscure things perhaps?

I mean this (from the actual photo):

05-06-2009, 02:06 AM   #69
Veteran Member

I then interpret Om81 "unhappy smiley" to mean that the standard size viewfinder is the "one point of problem with the body" which Om81 and ogl were talking about.

Thanks for having clarified this one.
The press photo apparently has the focussing screen frame in the 'access' positon (i.e. down in front of the mirror). The frame is obviously slightly bigger than the mirror to accommodate the screen.

I think this is what caused the confusion.
05-06-2009, 02:06 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
...but 100% 1.0x is still very good - compared to K20d and 50d (95%, 0.95) or D300 (100%, 0.94)!
05-06-2009, 02:07 AM   #71
Veteran Member

So, it is ...

- standard 14.6 MP IQ, as known from K20D. I don't expect better ISO performance then, maybe somewhat more equal sensitivity in heavily underexposed areas.

- K20D viewfinder, in retro style housing

- Safox viii (or iix on Om81 language ) with slightly better algorithm

So, for the K-7 not to be pointless, the following must be true:

- 5.2 fps (Om81 mystic figure and he said less than 6 fps )

- True HD video (720p@24fps or better)

- 77 zone light metering and contrast AF

- 1/8000 & 1/250 X (if fps went high to 5.2, they probably redid the shutter so this now seems plausible)

I think, this pretty much sums it up. To me , the remaining missing specs are details, mostly.

Last edited by falconeye; 05-06-2009 at 02:31 AM. Reason: added shutter spec
05-06-2009, 02:07 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Please let me explain. If you press the latch on the ground glass screen holder just below the prism (what you would do to replace the screen), then the holder comes down. It's this holder (with the ground glass still on it) that can be seen on the leaked press photos. Although I do not know why that was done; to obscure things perhaps?

I mean this (from the actual photo):
Damn I was beaten to it!
05-06-2009, 02:08 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
...but 100% 1.0x is still very good - compared to K20d and 50d (95%, 0.95) or D300 (100%, 0.94)!
No, RH said "100% 1.0x" and Om81 said " " which means that this info was speculated but wrong. Because, as you said, if true, no disappointment here ...
05-06-2009, 02:16 AM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Om81 Quote
I'm too.. 6 fps - its unreal for Pentax
But only 3.5 fps at full resolution is also unreal. Come on, even the K-m can do this
05-06-2009, 02:18 AM   #75
Pentaxian

What if the K-7 is indeed 5.2 fps and in cropped mode even faster???