Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2009, 04:33 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
There is a post in DPR forum of members reporting the appearance of Pentax DSLRs and P&S at Fry's.
I can proudly report that Fry's at City of Industry, CA got Pentax Km, Optio W60 & X70 on display shelf and in stock.
Wow. That's cool. That's a nice score for Pentax. Now people can play with them :-)

05-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #32

Time to send bashers back to dpreview!

u r luck i don't have any power
05-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
To be fair, I LOVE photography and take a paycheck from it fairly regularly; I read about 30 photo related blogs/day and write one of my own, but put me behind the counter in a camera store and I'm not going to be very helpful on anything beyond Pentax and maybe Canon and Nikon. It's a bit much to expect the floor help in most camera stores to know anywhere near as much about our preferred brand of gear as we do, even if the manufacturers are feeding them a steady diet of new info every day.

If a sales rep has to be spoon fed info from the manufacturer they aren't going to retain much of it anyway. Everything they want to learn is free for the taking on the internet, but even the ones who subscribe to every blog and camera review site on the planet, and ingest camera info for breakfast, are going to be at a disadvantage to someone who does their homework on a particular brand before they go shopping. If I ever go into a camera store and encounter a sales rep that actually knows more about the model I'm shopping for than I do, it will be a sure sign to me that I'm nowhere near ready to buy.
On a continuous spectrum of completely ignorant to omniscient (there's a word you don't get to use every day ) I expect retail staff to fall somewhere in the middle with regards to the products they sell. It is important for sales reps to help maintain that minimum standard at their store if they hope the staff will generate sales. I assure you not many people who invest in a DSLR system are as informed as you are. It would be enough if the staff knew which cameras were weather sealed and which were not; which lenses were weather sealed; exactly what sensor is in the camera; which lenses are APS-C designed. If a customer wants to compare a k20D to a D90, a Rebel, 50D, D300, E3, A700... then this very basic information is important. If they know a bit about only one or two of these cameras then that is what they will sell more. It is the reason manufacturers offer "staff discounts" because you know damn well if the clerk shoots a 50D he is going to push those harder than anything else.

Sales reps are also supposed to generate good will at their stores. I worked in sports retail for a number of years and the reps would always come by on a few busy days a year and "volunteer" at the store. I used to love watching the Rep for Specialized Bikes try to sell a Trek because the customer hated the Specialized brand . That sort of thing leaves a lasting impression with staff and is ultimately very good for business.
05-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #34

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Zagreb, Croatia. Pentax is alive and well in these parts. These constant rumors of Pentax going out of business make me somewhat nervous, because I bought a K200D a month ago, and I am not planing to change ship any time soon. Local Pentax wholesaler is rather active, but retailers are pushing the canonikon gear. When I was in the market for my first DSLR, they tried to sell me Nikon D60 (a fine entry level camera), but it just didn't fit my large hands. It didn't feel right in my hands no matter what. Nikon D80 felt much better (and is a much better camera than D60) but they were telling me it was an:"older model". So much for how much they know about cameras and what they are selling to people.

So, one cannot hope for sales people to give customers information on what they really need, and what options they have. I believe they are still running the megapixel race...

Another thing here - camera lovers and amateur photogs are rather active in Internet forums much like this one - exchanging information and helping one another. Internet is a great tool, and people who go and venture to buy their first DSLR do not go uninformed.

The message, the experience and legacy of this brand, which offers a lot - and you don't have to take a second mortgage for your hobby - should be better communicated.

05-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I had a kid at our local Ritz say the same thing a few weeks ago when I went in looking for a flash. I told him that he was mistaken, it wasn't pentax it was ritz in trouble. He quickly shut up.

I think a lot of it is because these kids have no idea that pentax existed before the digital age. When I was their age I wanted a K1000 since I actually had a hope of affording one.
Today, I went into another Ritz that was going out of business in Downtown Westlake Mall and picked up a Pentax AF-200FG Flash for $65. Ritz stores going out of business everywhere in the NW.

Second camera I ever owned was the famed K1000.
05-07-2009, 05:47 PM   #36
Veteran Member

let me tell you what I see in NYC.

Canon is the best thing that could happen to Pentax... Everybody have a Canon right?... Canon is selling the 50mm 1.8 for peanuts.

People starting to shoot with primes . Pentax have the best primes.

The others thou upgrade to the Canon 50mm 1.4 or 1.2 L and then "they must buy the 5DMK2 to go with the lens"... I heard that 5 times the past month

I know nothing about the camera business but this is what I see around me right now.

Pentax need to play the glass card... be an alternative to the ridiculously expensive L glass .

personally I think that investing in crop sensores is a bad decision right now only BC the way I see people around me think. BUT I AM NOT TRYING TO START FF ARGUMENT AGAIN
05-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jack56 Quote
I was in a Ritz Camera store yesterday and the sales guy, who has been there a few years informed me that Pentax is in trouble and may fold. And why they were not carrying Pentax DLSR's any more.
*bursts into thread*

WTF's going on here?

And does the sales guy have a new job to go to? That should be of more concern, so people can stay away from the next shop he will work in with his dodgy hearsay.
05-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #38

[QUOTE If I ever go into a camera store and encounter a sales rep that actually knows more about the model I'm shopping for than I do, it will be a sure sign to me that I'm nowhere near ready to buy.[/QUOTE]

As a guy who works in a camera store who knows more about the model you are shopping for than you do ( I am the lifeless camera tech geek mentioned somewhere else in this thread) I have to say you have hit the nail on the head. So many of the brick and mortars are dropping Pentax with the excuse "I never see my sales rep anymore so I don't know what's happening. I hear Pentax is going to fold." The reality is the brick and mortars don't see much of any of their sales reps from any manufacturer. Before some offended merchant chimes in and says they see their Nikon or Canon rep all the time or just as much as they used to, I can confidently say no they don't. All of the manufacturer's reps are being asked to cover much larger terrritories with faster changing products and they just can't perform their jobs like they used to.

It is up to the retailers to take their jobs seriously, know their products, know how to communicate and if they happen to know something about photography then all the better. My store sells pretty even numbers of Canon, Sony and Pentax with Nikon just new in our store. Our staff does an excellent job of maintaining product knowledge and they try very hard to understand what the customer wants and is trying to do with his photography. With their knowledge of the products and what each brand can do particularly well, there ends up being a pretty even mix of camera brand sales.

My point is that retailers need to take more responsibility and need to put a greater emphasis on doing a job well without a manufacturer holding his hand. Three long established, well respected specialty retailers who I spoke with frequently closed their doors in the last six months. All three had let Pentax completely drop from their inventory. I can't say that Pentax delivers a greater profit margin, better terms or anything like that, but it is no secret that many pentaxforums users have experienced poor customer service, shoddy information, suspect sales techniques and a frightening dearth of in-stock product.

Had these retailers the wearwithall to present well to the likes of those visiting these forums, then their customer base would be much stronger. Now with the negativity over, if anyone is looking for a quality Pentax retailer in any part of the US, odds are I can give a great recommendation. If all else fails go straight to the middle of the country and check out Creve Couer Camera in Missouri. While I don't work at that camera store, I am very familiar with their staff knowledge and their commitment to knowing all the camera brands. They will not disappoint.

Some guy named wheatfield has posted to me that there are no excuses. He is 100% correct. When retailers and their staff take their jobs as seriously as another profession such as being a teacher, a lawyer, and accountant or even a doctor, then the lament about the crappy experiences in shopping for photo goods will very likely cease.

DS

05-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jack56 Quote
Today, I went into another Ritz that was going out of business in Downtown Westlake Mall and picked up a Pentax AF-200FG Flash for $65. Ritz stores going out of business everywhere in the NW.

Second camera I ever owned was the famed K1000.
Ah, I was kind of *hoping* that sort of thing might happen, ...if they had to eat all retail and then die, at least I could get a flash unit out of it.

Frankly, Ritz salespeople thinking 'Pentax is dying' is probably a function of Beltsville never really having *had* any idea what was going on. They did a lot of hiring of the kind of failed-middle-management types who end up dogging all forms of retail from above: people who get pumped up on inspirational business seminars and photographically don't know their arse from their aperture... Not unlike many chains of retail ...boutiques, they hire a lot of people for being clean-cut and pretty, then it's like McHale's Navy from there.

It's probably a big part of the whole enterprise collapsing so spectacularly: they hire a bunch of kids who may as well be working anywhere else, and progressively just *keep* getting out of touch with why people want to go into a photo shop to begin with. Every time the bottom line isn't working out they decide to make it more homogenized and more ...not why people want to go into a photo shop... bought up all the competition and sanitized it all till, kind of like with Starbucks' and cafes, people kind of forgot what the thing was even *supposed* to be.

Some of the folks there, well, many are well-intentioned, some are even fairly knowledgeable, probably all on their own efforts.

But an 'error' like the 'Pentax is going out of business' myth appears in too many places to think it didn't come from the top down. Corporate mentality, 'Everyone must answer the phone with 'Ritz Camera and video...' 'Neat. When do we start getting video to selll...' 'Shut up.' 'Blank tapes?' Shut up!'

Not like yer neighborhood store, that.
05-08-2009, 04:02 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alehel Quote
My local retailer here in Norway is a shop called JapanPhoto.
It's good to see that they continue to give Pentax quite a presence in their shops even after the Norwegian distributor changed (the K-m is on the front page of their April 2009 flyer: Katalog - Japan Photo Norge - but hey, dust- and moisture-sealed - the K-m??).

Here in Oslo, I miss Fotohuset, though, they were very helpful.

Last edited by gazonk; 05-08-2009 at 04:12 AM.
05-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #41

Original Poster
This turned into a longer post than I expected!

I see Best Buy selling Pentax too. So Does WalMart. So the big stores are carrying Pentax.

I feel safer now as I just picked up a brand new Pentax K10D w/battery grip today!

I'll be selling my Pentax K110D which I bought new two weeks ago in the Marketplace shortly to help pay for the K10D.
05-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
If a sales rep has to be spoon fed info from the manufacturer they aren't going to retain much of it anyway. Everything they want to learn is free for the taking on the internet, but even the ones who subscribe to every blog and camera review site on the planet, and ingest camera info for breakfast, are going to be at a disadvantage to someone who does their homework on a particular brand before they go shopping. If I ever go into a camera store and encounter a sales rep that actually knows more about the model I'm shopping for than I do, it will be a sure sign to me that I'm nowhere near ready to buy.
Very good points.
I think it is by thorough investigation that we the users discover Pentax. What is more impressive, is how we did it before the internet.

QuoteOriginally posted by dnaseigel Quote
As a guy who works in a camera store who knows more about the model you are shopping for than you do ( I am the lifeless camera tech geek mentioned somewhere else in this thread) I have to say you have hit the nail on the head. So many of the brick and mortars are dropping Pentax with the excuse "I never see my sales rep anymore so I don't know what's happening. I hear Pentax is going to fold." The reality is the brick and mortars don't see much of any of their sales reps from any manufacturer. Before some offended merchant chimes in and says they see their Nikon or Canon rep all the time or just as much as they used to, I can confidently say no they don't. All of the manufacturer's reps are being asked to cover much larger terrritories with faster changing products and they just can't perform their jobs like they used to.

It is up to the retailers to take their jobs seriously, know their products, know how to communicate and if they happen to know something about photography then all the better. My store sells pretty even numbers of Canon, Sony and Pentax with Nikon just new in our store. Our staff does an excellent job of maintaining product knowledge and they try very hard to understand what the customer wants and is trying to do with his photography. With their knowledge of the products and what each brand can do particularly well, there ends up being a pretty even mix of camera brand sales.

My point is that retailers need to take more responsibility and need to put a greater emphasis on doing a job well without a manufacturer holding his hand. Three long established, well respected specialty retailers who I spoke with frequently closed their doors in the last six months. All three had let Pentax completely drop from their inventory. I can't say that Pentax delivers a greater profit margin, better terms or anything like that, but it is no secret that many pentaxforums users have experienced poor customer service, shoddy information, suspect sales techniques and a frightening dearth of in-stock product.

Had these retailers the wearwithall to present well to the likes of those visiting these forums, then their customer base would be much stronger. Now with the negativity over, if anyone is looking for a quality Pentax retailer in any part of the US, odds are I can give a great recommendation. If all else fails go straight to the middle of the country and check out Creve Couer Camera in Missouri. While I don't work at that camera store, I am very familiar with their staff knowledge and their commitment to knowing all the camera brands. They will not disappoint.
Thanks for the insights from the other side of the counter

Regarding Ritz, I havenít been impressed either. I was in one shop, where they were displaying the K100. I asked if they had the K10, as it was this upper model that I was looking for. They said no, but wanted to show me the One Ten instead. But the K110 was a model below K10, so of cause didnít have my interest.

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
It's good to see that they continue to give Pentax quite a presence in their shops even after the Norwegian distributor changed (the K-m is on the front page of their April 2009 flyer: Katalog - Japan Photo Norge - but hey, dust- and moisture-sealed - the K-m??).

Here in Oslo, I miss Fotohuset, though, they were very helpful.
We have Japan Photo too in Denmark.
Regarding your link, looks like a typo/ misunderstanding on their part, regarding the K-m