Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Is Pentax in trouble?

I was in a Ritz Camera store yesterday and the sales guy, who has been there a few years informed me that Pentax is in trouble and may fold. And why they were not carrying Pentax DLSR's any more. This was in the largest Mall in the NW.

Any truth to that? I hope not.

I had just bought a new Pentax K110D w/18-55mm last week for $269 from another Ritz store that was closing. Everything was 50% off. I just missed out on the K10D which I really wanted.

05-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

From what I hear, Ritz's been sayin' that for years, yet, they are the bankrupt company... Too funny!
05-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
Damn Brit

You'll be in trouble if you post in the wrong place again.

Moved to News and Rumours.
05-06-2009, 08:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote

Moved to News and Rumours.
Sorry.

I thought general discussions was the correct place to post. I'm new here.
I didn't see the News & Rumours. Now I know.

05-06-2009, 08:09 PM   #5

I worked for Ritz for 3 years, trust me, sales associates don't know anything about corporate issues. It's a horribly run company, which is why they're struggling to keep their head above water.

I'm sure it really just boils down to profit margins, which are higher with Canikon (and of course the crappy Quantaray store brand), and to some extent Sony. Pentax, Oly, Sigma, Fuji...all of these are rare for Ritz stores (the DSLRs at least, not the P&S). For what it's worth, of those four companies, Pentax is the most common. I've never seen a Sigma DSLR in person, and only once held a Fuji that a customer ordered from our warehouse. The only Oly's I've seen were in other stores (Best Buy I think, can't remember). This might be different in your area but it seems (or at least seemed) consistent throughout Virginia.
05-06-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jack56 Quote
I was in a Ritz Camera store yesterday and the sales guy, who has been there a few years informed me that Pentax is in trouble and may fold. And why they were not carrying Pentax DLSR's any more. This was in the largest Mall in the NW.

I had just bought a new Pentax K110D w/18-55mm last week for $269 from another Ritz store that was closing. Everything was 50% off. I just missed out on the K10D which I really wanted.
Pentax does not offer trade credit to Ritz. Canon and Nikon are holding the bag for $14,000,000 and $26,000,000 respectively to Ritz during the bankruptcy reorganization - they'll get 30 cents on teh dollar if they are lucky.

Part of the reason Pentax is not shown in some camera stores / chains is the lack of trade credit - retailers have to use their own bank credit to buy Pentax inventory. Less reputable dealers will suggest that Pentax is a bad risk so they can "steer" buyers to the other two in order to get faster inventory turnover - turnover lowers the cost of trade credit / increases the wholesale discount (increases the profit margin).
05-06-2009, 08:28 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Part of the reason Pentax is not shown in some camera stores / chains is the lack of trade credit - retailers have to use their own bank credit to buy Pentax inventory. Less reputable dealers will suggest that Pentax is a bad risk so they can "steer" buyers to the other two in order to get faster inventory turnover - turnover lowers the cost of trade credit / increases the wholesale discount (increases the profit margin).
That makes sense. He was trying to get me to sell my Pentax on craigslist and buy the Sony they had on sale.

And this post/threads got me wondering too:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/26454-pentax-canada-close-down.html

05-06-2009, 08:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I was in in the local larger retail store here last week.....and 2 months ago they had reduced their Pentax line on the shelf but now it appears to be larger than Sony (only Nikon and Canon have more space but not by a ton as it used to be). Apparently the K-m is doing OK. Pentax isn't doing "great" here but it is doing OK.....we are influenced by the Asian market which I am presuming pentax is still doing well. I'll be asing them when they expect to get in their first K-7
05-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That makes sense. He was trying to get me to sell my Pentax on craigslist and buy the Sony they had on sale.

And this post/threads got me wondering too:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/26454-pentax-canada-close-down.html

So- Ritz Store doesn't have the money to BUY your Pentax as a TRADE-IN and resell it in their used department? Maybe it's because they are BANKRUPT - they really DON"T have the money to buy your camera. I think Pentax was pretty smart in that case.

Regarding Canada - look at the date that thread was started - May 2, 2008, and they're still around a year later. Pentax Canada may close down some day, as have some of the smaller divisions in Europe, (to be consolidated in Paris for efficiency) - but not because Pentax is going out of business..
05-06-2009, 09:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Pentax just would not be Pentax if they ever lost the "going out of business rumor"

Now with Ritz folding, I wonder who will carry the torch?

Pentax can be found in all of the camera stores I frequent. It never occoured to me that in other parts of the world, especially in the USA, that Pentax would be a rare beast.

Enjoy you new camera. Go get a 50 f1.4 and blow your friends away with some great low light shots.
05-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Pentax just would not be Pentax if they ever lost the "going out of business rumor"

Now with Ritz folding, I wonder who will carry the torch?

Pentax can be found in all of the camera stores I frequent. It never occoured to me that in other parts of the world, especially in the USA, that Pentax would be a rare beast.

Enjoy you new camera. Go get a 50 f1.4 and blow your friends away with some great low light shots.
I used to live in Connecticut.....Ritz was one of those mall outlets.....like Blacks here in Canada....expensive but convenient. I don't know why anyone would buy a body or lens from them.....when you can go down the street (or online) and buy it for 1/3rd the price. Once the mall shoppers dry up so do the sales....
05-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #12
Damn Brit

Sorry.

I thought general discussions was the correct place to post. I'm new here.
I didn't see the News & Rumours. Now I know.
I'm glad you've come here with a sense of humour.
Enjoy the forum, if you're not sure where to post, you can always PM a Moderator.
05-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I can't wait to get a 50 f1.4 lens. In the old days when I had my Nikon FM, Olympus OM1 & Pentax K1000, that was the best lens to start out with.
05-06-2009, 10:33 PM   #14

I can't wait to get a 50 f1.4 lens. In the old days when I had my Nikon FM, Olympus OM1 & Pentax K1000, that was the best lens to start out with.
Many would argue that it still is

It is usually a good first lens to satisfy LBA. It was for me! I have really taken advantage of pentax's vintage primes, especially being on a hobbyists budget,
05-07-2009, 01:41 AM   #15
Veteran Member

This was in the largest Mall in the NW.
Any truth to that?
This is a fair question.
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Why?
Asking a question is NOT News nor Rumor
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Pentax does not offer trade credit to Ritz. Canon and Nikon are holding the bag for $14,000,000 and $26,000,000 respectively to Ritz during the bankruptcy reorganization
And this was the fair and simple answer.
Ritz doesn't carry Pentax because they couldn't afford it anymore and steer customers away from Pentax. Question. Answer. No rumor. Nothing new.