Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2009, 02:03 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote

K-7 is very strong in video modes.
Umm, has anybody yet asked about the memory needed for videos???

05-08-2009, 02:16 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Not really, but its one of the key issues. One thing that would be handy is for the camera to have a nice chunk of built in memory.

The 'sketch' of the right hand side of the camera posted by Asahiflex (but made by RiceHigh) in one of the other threads shows its got an SDHC slot, not XC unfortunately. So storage will be limited to 32GB (that's the limit of SDHC isn't it?).

That's immense for stills but if the 5D Mk II produces about 4GB of data in about 12 minutes then a 32GB card can hold about 96 minutes of 1080p footage. Not too bad but still not amazing - considering that if you are shooting a lot of RAW images as well you can fill a few GBs with those (not anywhere near 32 GBs though!!).

Anyway. My concern would be the speed of an SDHC card. Other HD camcorders shoot to SD card I suppose so their must be a way around it.
05-08-2009, 02:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

The Canon 5D needs about 4GB for 12 min.
After that, it stops.
05-08-2009, 02:32 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
After that, it stops.
It could make separate files, as in Video DVDs.
Better than stopping but it means user would have to stitch them together after.

05-08-2009, 02:37 AM   #20
Veteran Member

After that, it stops.

I know. But assuming its continuous. Or you may want to shoot 8 12 minute clips or completely different things - like if you are on holiday.
05-08-2009, 02:38 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
I still blame those Norwegians.
Huh? What? Are you thinking loud about Champions League?
05-08-2009, 02:58 AM   #22
Veteran Member

K-7 has new sensor and ....
camcorders | SAMSUNG

helps Pentax
I hope this improves IQ @ low ISO.

05-08-2009, 04:59 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I sincerely hope it is also very strong in *photography* mode
05-08-2009, 08:01 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I doubt that the K7 can record much longer video.
How long can you record without damaging the sensor?
And if you want to do still photography directly afterwards, how is heating affecting the image quality?
Much measurebating possible soon ...
The k-7 mirror box is a new metal design in U-format that serves as integral heatsink for the sensor thus avoiding higher temperatures and warping effects on the sensor.
05-08-2009, 08:05 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I've checked video specs of 5D Mk II and D90.
D90 is very weak...5D Mk II has 1080P, but weak too.
Running time ONLY 12 min for 1080P, 24 min for VGA

Well, I'm pretty sure you guys wouldn't care much about it, but the GH-1 is currently king of video in interchangeable lens cameras. 1080p video limited only by the size of the memory card, full AF, and a made-for-video lens to boot.

I would hope this new Pentax can compete favorably, even if just unlimited 1080p. At least it's one marketing point they can claim over the D90/5000 and the 5D Mk II/500D, since I really don't expect this new Pentax to surpass (close the gap, but not surpass) the AF and FPS of the K-7's competition. A tweaked sensor from Samsung to be able to handle the stress of full-time video capture will help lots.

Of course, video is the least of my concern in the new camera. Just giving my 2 cents to ogl's post.
05-08-2009, 08:07 AM   #26
Veteran Member

No need to worry, focus (!) is still on still photo - but video is good too.
05-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
There is no need for memory when one has video! That's the whole point with video, to remember what you else forgets.
05-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Not really, but its one of the key issues. One thing that would be handy is for the camera to have a nice chunk of built in memory.

The 'sketch' of the right hand side of the camera posted by Asahiflex (but made by RiceHigh) in one of the other threads shows its got an SDHC slot, not XC unfortunately. So storage will be limited to 32GB (that's the limit of SDHC isn't it?).
I would hope Pentax had the foresight to source/license SDXC hardware in this new camera. But then if the K-7's video ran into the same time limits as Canon has, then there's less need for huge SD card support, I guess.
05-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Since this has turned into a video discussion...

I don't do video (of have any background in the arts other than being a photography hack from way back) and I have a question - it seems the main use of long duration continuous video is the sort of running 1.5 hour continuous (awful) video of little Jenny's 2nd grade xmas recital... who cares? I want video of my kid - that's why I want video mode on my SLR, but seriously - just film the good bits right???

For more high end applications like actual film making (low budget obviously), action sports shooting, etc., you just shoot the action yeah? I bet you would be hard pressed to find a five minute continuous single camera segment in any feature film, music video, or skiing / snowmobiling / mountain biking / etc type film. I suppose a limitation to five min. would make a camera very unsuitable to TV type work but... meh.

Like I said I want video for it's most basic application - family stuff (and to film some aerial fire fighting ), but I'm just curious if the five minutes thing is really that limiting for peoples applications.
05-08-2009, 09:30 AM   #30
Veteran Member

K-7 has new sensor and ....
camcorders | SAMSUNG

helps Pentax
Well, the first thing I see when I click on this link is "64 GB Solid State Drive." Could something like this be possible? Where could it fit?