Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2009, 07:28 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Vision Care was bought by Seiko 5 years ago

QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I
Today, Pentax is only a brand name owned by Hoya, and a division within the Hoya Corporation.
But the vision care division was not part of the deal, since it was already merged into Seiko Optical in 2004.

05-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Bankruptcy is irrelevant

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I understand all that but it's not like Pentax filled for bankrupcy and was then bought by Hoya. And Pentax still keeps its name, something Minolta lost. And what happened is certainly very different from "Pentax was in financial difficulty last year and was sold off". It was a take over and something as you noted that Pentax resisted.
I don't see the difference, or how bankruptcy is relevant. That's how one company "takes over" another company; they buy them. To me, a merger is when the two boards of directors get together and agree to join the two companies into one. Usually, it is structured so that the name of one company remains, and shareholders of the other company are given stock in the surviving company, at some agreed upon ratio. This isn't what happened in the case of Pentax and Hoya.

The fact that Pentax resisted, to me, makes it a buyout, rather than a merger. Hoya bypassed the Pentax board of directors and went straight to the stockholders. They (Hoya) BOUGHT the stock. Once Hoya owned controlling interest, everything else is just internal company procedures.

If Pentax had, in fact, filed for bankruptcy, yes, that would be a different matter. I don't even know if Japanese bankruptcy laws allow for reoganization and emergence, the way US laws do. In some countries, the UK, I believe, bankruptcy is synonymous with liquidation. The failing company's assets are sold by the court to pay creditor and the company dies.

The Konica-Minolta situation is completely different, for the simple reason that Konica-Minolta still exists as an independent company. K-M simply sold one of its ASSETS, the camera division, to Sony. Here is their website: KONICA MINOLTA Global. They're still very much alive. The just don't make cameras any more. If Pentax had sold all its camera and lens designs, along with photography-related patents, to Hoya, and gone off to just make medical imaging products, that would be an analogous situation.

Paul Noble
05-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
I don't see the difference, or how bankruptcy is relevant.
I don't disagree with what you're saying, I'm just saying that the ad was falsely implying that Pentax was in finantial difficulty and was sold off.
05-12-2009, 11:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Falcons Quote
In Australia there is an Optometry chain called Specsavers and they advertise the fact that they use Pentax Lenses.

Another optomery chain has launched a very negative TV ad campaign against Specsavers and their relationship with Pentax - they highlight the Pentax Brand visually using the Pentax Logo and state " Pentax was in financial difficulty last year and was sold off" (In a deep male voice full of contempt )

The crux of the ad is that Pentax went broke Specsavers are just selling obsolete stock they picked up cheap- don't buy from them they wont be around long (My interpretation any way)

I hope Pentax Australia is going to do something about this as it may have an impact on new sales of Pentax products (in particular Cameras)
Wow a complaint about pentax that didn't deal with AF speed? I'd actually compliment Pentax Australia's PR team!

Seriously though? Yeah, the glasses break when the company goes bankrupt or the product suddenly becomes crap. I'm sorry ford could die tomorrow (it really could you never know) and the 1967 mustang fastback is still an awesome car. Sounds like specsavers hired an out of work political handler!