Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will Pentax Succeed with the New K-7 and Strategy?
Yes 19592.86%
No 157.14%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2009, 05:22 AM   #61

Oh no, Pentax isn't making a camera with a sensor of the exact size of a film frame introduced in 1892!

The image quality loss will be unimaginable! Pentax simply must conform to a random arbitrary format size or all will be lost!

How about:

Medium Format Vs Full frame - Will Canon/Nikon Win/Survive in the Game?

05-11-2009, 06:58 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote

Nope. You or some other guys like you should take a break yourself! I care not much about your (over-)reactions actually. Sometimes I replied. But most of the time, I chose to just *ignore*.

Do you always listen to what Ned said? So, Ned will surely tell the world we all Pentaxians should buy the latest best stuff from Pentax! Go pre-order a K-7 now! ;-D

For your own sanity, you should buy something at the medicine shops, but not relying on any function here! :-)
Getting awful close to the tone of conversation that you usually cry "foul" when used on you.. getting a little of the old cocky self back I see.
05-11-2009, 07:08 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Maxington Quote
Oh no, Pentax isn't making a camera with a sensor of the exact size of a film frame introduced in 1892!
Did Pentax created a new mount when they introduced APS-C digital cameras? No. That's why people still hope a digital FF from Pentax for the K-mount. Olympus people don't have such expectations for example.
05-11-2009, 07:43 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This thread is another red herring.

Do you actually KNOW what Pentax's long term STRATEGY is?

The K-7 is not a strategy. It is a camera body, consistent with Pentax's history of smaller, feature-rich camera bodies that maximize the abilities of its lenses at a decent price.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Stop implying/asking whether Pentax will succeed or fail at something you cannot possibly know. You are nothing more than a rabble-rouser.
Honestly I don't think Pentax even have long term STRATEGY.
That's the problem. They start Digital Medium Format project and they they drop it, and then they starting it again and promise to finish.

They tell the whole world that they will not make FF Dslrs and a few month later there representative in Germany speaks in favor of FF development.

This is is why a lot of old time Pentax shooters ale leaving Pentax system in favor of 5Ds and D700s.

05-11-2009, 07:50 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Thats a great observation concerning Olympus Micro 4/3 mount

Its that simple isn't it?

Olympus included their M1 adapters with E1 dslrs to allow OM system lenses to be used on m4/3 E1 with 2x crop. After a while they stopped bundling the $100 adapter with that camera. But OM glass users certainly knew Oly was not roadmapping OM DSLR.

Pentax is unique in using 45.46mm film plane distance screw mount then same exact distance for K Mount glass. Way back in screw mount days they had Adapter P which was to allow owners of 6x7 glass to adapt it to screw mount film cameras. Later they devised both 6x7 to K adapters and later yet 645 to K Mount. They never however offered a 645 to screw mount but instead offered a 6x7 to 645. These combinations are what enables Pentax to say:

"24 million lenses" can be used on a K Mount dslr.

On Oly forums I visit no one obsesses with possibility of OM System Full Frame. Olympus owners thesedays know full frame capture with 1970's -1990's glass will NEVER be an option via an olympus full frame dslr.

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Did Pentax created a new mount when they introduced APS-C digital cameras? No. That's why people still hope a digital FF from Pentax for the K-mount. Olympus people don't have such expectations for example.

Last edited by Samsungian; 05-11-2009 at 08:20 AM.
05-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vitalsax Quote

if u cannot see that is the right side pic
There is also more to IQ than just jpeg default settings resolution. D700 default jpegs are rather low contrast, low sharpening while K20D default is high contrast/high sharpening.

K20D default jpegs may look better for details but if you look at other characteristics (like noise or, in my illustration bellow, DR), the D700 is not too shabby... for a FF!

Trying to determine which camera has better IQ by looking at default jpegs is a waste of time IMO: you can prove everything and the opposite depending on what you look at.

The point I am trying to make is that the differences you're seeing in details are no more valid than the one we are seeing in DR: in raw, both cameras are capable of much better results in each department.
Attached Images

05-11-2009, 08:49 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Trying to determine which camera has better IQ by looking at default jpegs is a waste of time IMO: you can prove everything and the opposite depending on what you look at.

This is Pentax's target, IMHO. If it can make us debate whether it's APS-C cameras have better IQ than ANY FF camera, then they've won. They're in the ballpark. It's only when it becomes a non-conversation that they need to revamp their thinking.
05-11-2009, 09:04 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
This is Pentax's target, IMHO. If it can make us debate whether it's APS-C cameras have better IQ than ANY FF camera, then they've won. They're in the ballpark. It's only when it becomes a non-conversation that they need to revamp their thinking.
Well you know... its only BC the k20D is currently the top model from pentax .
other wise these camera are not really comparable , as the price deference suggest

05-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #69
Veteran Member

You don't own a K20D

Why don't you own a K20D?

I've got a K20D, its a great camera.

I really do not understand why so (((FEW))) people on this forum own K20D.

Is $669 with free delivery still too high a cost to own Pentax Best Dslr they've made to date?

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
Well you know... its only BC the k20D is currently the top model from pentax .
other wise these camera are not really comparable , as the price deference suggest
05-11-2009, 09:31 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Why don't you own a K20D?

I've got a K20D, its a great camera.

I really do not understand why so (((FEW))) people on this forum own K20D.

Is $669 with free delivery still too high a cost to own Pentax Best Dslr they've made to date?
I do own a K20D
and I love it
I also think that with penatx great lenses it can bit top models from Canon and Nikon
05-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #71

Woe, what?

QuoteOriginally posted by Philippos Quote
The Sony a900 is far far better than the old 5D and where I live, they retail for almost the same price. Yet, Sony makes ZERO sales.
FF means nothing if people do not believe in your product.
Zero sales? What source are you using for your figures, I am very curious.

Back to topic, I think APS-C sells better than full frame on average, for now. However, FF is coming way down in price and will continue to come down as demand increases.

FF has advantages, but so does APS-C. There is a market for both and for now APS-C is the best investement for total sales.

My answer is that some point in the future Pentax will need to make a full frame camera to keep up with market demands (not to be confused with keeping up with competitors).

Carl
05-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
Honestly I don't think Pentax even have long term STRATEGY.

They tell the whole world that they will not make FF Dslrs and a few month later there representative in Germany speaks in favor of FF development.
A long term strategy is very difficult in technologies that are changing very fast anyway. Nikon always denied their interest in FF until they released the D3 in 2007. The only "affordable" FF up to mid-2008 was the 2005 Canon 5D. Sony joined the party in late 2008. The prices are still in the 2500-3000$ just for the body. You don't really have the option of a cheap backup body unless you get an APS-C camera.

Conclusion: FF may come from Pentax but there is absolutely no urgency. It's more important to capture the big APS-C market now. One step at a time.
05-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Good for you, you might change your signature then

As you've decided K20D is superior to Canon & Nikon should I assume you own full frames from both Canikon too?

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
I do own a K20D
and I love it
I also think that with penatx great lenses it can bit top models from Canon and Nikon
05-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
So, if Pentax wants to climb up in the market, they have to do something different in order to compete, if they do not have the Full Frame symbol and technologies.

The estimated street price according to some sources is $1500, which is not too far from a brand new FF Canon 5D Mk1.
So if Pentax wants a 2-5% market share, they need FF? Forgive me if my math is wrong (I hate numbers) but wouldn't a maker rather have models in the 95-98% range of the market?

The 5DI is old, available new or not. Get over it.
05-11-2009, 09:53 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
As you've decided K20D is superior to Canon & Nikon should I assume you own full frames from both Canikon too?
For most people it is.

You wanna give me $2500 so I can find out for myself?

No? You don't?

Damn. In that case, I guess I can never know how much better a Canon or Nikon is compared to a shitty Pentax...or how a brand new M3 V8 is compared to my 11 year old Accord. How can I go on living?