Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Will Pentax Succeed with the New K-7 and Strategy?
Yes 19592.86%
No 157.14%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Full Frame Vs High Quality Cropped Body - Will Pentax Win/Survive in the Game?

I know Pentax is still unable to make a Full Frame body at this moment, nor they are willing to bear the risk.

So, now they go in another way to compete - make a high grade body with most updated features, the best possible ergonomics and compactness as well as with highest possible build quality, so that it makes itself an unique product with all those valuable differentiating characteristics in the current market. But, it is still an APS-C DSLR afterall!

So and so, what do you think if this would succeed? Image quality wise, I still not believing that any APS-C can beat those of the current Full Frame lines. And price wise, the price difference is not very big. Say, if you pay just a little bit more, even one can get the old Full Frame Canon 5D MkI which can still be bought brand new in the market for the time being. And then for a little bit more, the popular Nikon D700 is there!

All in all, Do you think that Pentax can win in the game and competition? Or, just to continue their life in the DSLR battle field with the new K-7??

05-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #2

The Sony a900 is far far better than the old 5D and where I live, they retail for almost the same price. Yet, Sony makes ZERO sales.
FF means nothing if people do not believe in your product.
05-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
Dom

Just out of curiosity, where do you see the K20D in comparison to Canon and Nikon?

In my opinion it's far superior to the EOS 5D Mk II and the Nikon D3, image quality wise. And the build quality isn't shabby either.
05-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh no. Another thread about "will Pentax survive"/"is Pentax doomed"/"where will Pentax be in x years".

05-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

You're getting it wrong. They are able to make a FF camera. They are willing to do it. It's just that we are not willing to buy it - at what they would ask us to pay for it, and in sufficient numbers
Will they survive? Yes, they will. I'm actually more worried about players like Sony, who made a FF camera regardless of the consequences.
Will they "win"? Define "win". We still didn't see most of the Hoya new strategy, but so far, it looks good. So, they may very well "win" - make a profit, gaining brand awareness, maybe slightly increasing their market share.
Will they care if you'll start another anti-Pentax "crusade" on your blog, let's say "Pentax will die because they don't have a FF camera?" Nope, not at all. They will simply ignore you.
05-10-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As much as I would like full frame, cost is an issue until I get a gig that will pay for it and that is yet to happen. So now with the factors of cost and need and the fact most, even Pros do not buy FF cameras it is clear that if The K-7 brings the best bang for buck thats what Pentax needs.
05-10-2009, 08:48 AM   #7
Dom

Pentax should get the 645D out first.

05-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Philippos Quote
The Sony a900 is far far better than the old 5D and where I live, they retail for almost the same price. Yet, Sony makes ZERO sales.
probably because people from Greece are buying 5D on-line from USA for USD $2K...
05-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

well the way it looks right now
if the K-7 will be as small as we see
and the IQ will be phenomenal

It looks like Pentax will be a good competition to 4/3 market

I think its smart BC they are currently the cameras that converting canon/Nikon people,

and if they can make a crop camera close to the size of 4/3 with better IQ and viewfinder then its very cool

Its going to be Pentax /Panasonic /Olympus

And not Pentax/Canon/Nikon

I learned to live with the fact that I will have to buy a DA lens at least for the wide end
And that in a few years this one lens will have to go to the can .
but its ok its $500 that I can live with for now
05-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
So, now they go in another way to compete - make a high grade body with most updated features, the best possible ergonomics and compactness as well as with highest possible build quality, so that it makes itself an unique product with all those valuable differentiating characteristics in the current market. But, it is still an APS-C DSLR afterall!
If it includes most of the D300 features + in-body IS + Video and costs significantly less, then it will succeedd. Otherwise, it's going to be an uphill battle.

QuoteQuote:
So and so, what do you think if this would succeed? Image quality wise, I still not believing that any APS-C can beat those of the current Full Frame lines.
APS-C can't and won't win over FF when it comes to high-ISO, but in-body IS + non-Sony NR + fast lenses is damn close, at least when it comes to available light photography of subjects that aren't too dynamic.

When it comes to low-ISO, the quality is already excellent, and if one wants even less noise (e.g. for product / still life shots), then multiple exposure and stacking can produce results that are as clean as digital MF.

QuoteQuote:
And price wise, the price difference is not very big. Say, if you pay just a little bit more, even one can get the old Full Frame Canon 5D MkI which can still be bought brand new in the market for the time being. And then for a little bit more, the popular Nikon D700 is there!
Heavy, limited features, expensive...

QuoteQuote:
All in all, Do you think that Pentax can win in the game and competition? Or, just to continue their life in the DSLR battle field with the new K-7??
They need to pull a K10D jaw-dropper to succeed, and it's not going to be easy.

Prog.
05-10-2009, 09:34 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
probably because people from Greece are buying 5D on-line from USA for USD $2K...
Sony a900 sells here for 1899 euros. With a valid warranty (unlike most US imported goods). No competition in buck for money. Still they sell nothing.
A local dealer has one on loan and I had the priviledge to use it for 3 days last weekend. A very good camera indeed. I still can't understand why people wont buy it - but I guess it is exactly what will happen to a Pentax FF.
05-10-2009, 09:34 AM   #12
wll
Veteran Member

Keep it high quality and small !

Pentax is on the right track as far as I'm concerned.

High quality small cameras with outstanding image quality and DR along with user friendly features that are at the head of their class.

Sensor technology size IMHO will be a non issue in a few years as technology leaps forward.

As things look right now I'm happy the direction Pentax is going ;-)

wll
05-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #13

There is already a FF thread, why open another?
05-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax Strategy - Tell me what it IS, not what you think it is

This thread is another red herring.

Do you actually KNOW what Pentax's long term STRATEGY is?

The K-7 is not a strategy. It is a camera body, consistent with Pentax's history of smaller, feature-rich camera bodies that maximize the abilities of its lenses at a decent price.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Stop implying/asking whether Pentax will succeed or fail at something you cannot possibly know. You are nothing more than a rabble-rouser.
05-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whatever7 Quote
There is already a FF thread, why open another?
I think BC this is whats on everyons mind .

And its only going to get worst as FF cameras will become better and cheaper.