Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The posts I've seen from people using both (as opposed to someone who would like to find excuses for justifying consumerism) says theres very little difference. Tests with measurement proves the same. Pentax AF is fast and accurate. If it isn't, the camera, AF system, lens or calibration is at fault. Or the user of course....
Of course...:ugh:

05-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #32

Boy, this sure doesn't sound like viral marketing, or anyone coming here to bash the K-7. Odd that anyone would read this as such. I have used both a Canon 40D with a kit lens, and a K10D with a kit lens at weddings. In that comparison the Canon won hands down. The problem was as people here are describing. Locking on dancing, quickly moving people was far, far slower with the Pentax kit than with the Canon. This isn't the 50D and K20D, but for what it's worth, that was my experience with these two kits. If I were in the OP's shoes, I, too, would probably consider going with the Canon. As I'm not in his shoes, and weddings are not my main thing, I am very happy with my Pentax. Buy the camera that excels at that which you primarily want it to excel.
05-12-2009, 11:48 AM   #33

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
Why don't you try using one of the GOOD Pentax lenses, since that's obviously the type of lens you were using on the C*non.

Methinks Canikon are figuring out how to do their own viral marketing, and sending in spies to prematurely bash the K7 before it even comes out!
LOL WTF ???
I am a Pentax user for about a year, and all over this year I rave and rave all over in favor of Pentax, to all my friends and photographers colleagues.
You call me a Canikon Spy? You must be crazy.
This LAST THING I want to do is leave Pentax.
Mostly because I love this brand, and secondly because I already invested in lenses for it.

Are you saying that the Pentax 55-300mm isn't a GOOD lenses?
That's very funny, I must say.
Can you tell me what lens is better for Pentax, in this (+/-) focal range ?
05-12-2009, 11:57 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Enc0der Quote
well, the question was: "Do you believe the K-7 will have some serious improvements in term of performance?"

This is actually more of a philosophical approach, Pentax needs to WANT to improve their cameras in term to perfomance... right now it doesn't really look like they care too much about it..

Here's a suggestion: Why don't you just wait until May 20 for the official unveiling of the K7? Then most of your questions will be answered. Following that, you can wait for formal reviews and user reports to see if the camera lives up to its hype and whether it will suit your needs.

Camera brand identification is like a religion, and many people are constantly trying to win converts.

Rob

05-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #35

I'm not an expert on Canon glass, but isn't the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 USM actually the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L USM and about 1200 to $1500 itself?

Comparing it's performance to a $400 Tamron is a bit misleading. I use a K20d and a Sigma 28-70 f/2.8 in low light, and it performs well, but I don't expect it to compete with L glass. Fortunately, there's a much simpler, lower cost solution to testing it out.

Rent an SDM lens and test it out yourself.

*Edit*

QuoteQuote:
Are you saying that the Pentax 55-300mm isn't a GOOD lenses?
That's very funny, I must say.
Can you tell me what lens is better for Pentax, in this (+/-) focal range ?
Think we'd all agree it's a very GOOD lens but it's not a GREAT lens for the situations where you apparently want to use it.

A GREAT lens around the same price point of that L glass you played with on your friend's camera is the DA* 50-135, and then using that 55-300 when you absolutely need the reach, and STILL coming in cheaper than the L lens.

Last edited by Mister Guy; 05-12-2009 at 12:05 PM.
05-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Well
as people told you .. you compared the 24-70 L
to pentax lenses that cost a quarter of that .

The 50D is a GREAT camera
is it better then the K20D ? not for my needs

the 24-70 L is a shame of a lens for $1500 in my opinion

get the Penatx star lenses or a limited prime , then you can compare.

for me money was not a question when I got my penatx. I chose pentax BC they have the best lenses for my needs.

the DA* 50-135 is a fantastic lens and great for weddings . its not as good as the 70-200L but it coast about a half and its much much smaller . and have WR

So again its all about your needs.
05-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
I'm not an expert on Canon glass, but isn't the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 USM actually the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L USM and about 1200 to $1500 itself?

Comparing it's performance to a $400 Tamron is a bit misleading. I use a K20d and a Sigma 28-70 f/2.8 in low light, and it performs well, but I don't expect it to compete with L glass. Fortunately, there's a much simpler, lower cost solution to testing it out.

Rent an SDM lens and test it out yourself.
What is a comparable lens to the Canon 24-70 L F2.8 in your eyes for the Pentax mount ?
And what is a comparable lens to the Canon 70-200 L F2.8 IS in your eyes for the Pentax mount ?
05-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Priyantha Bleeker Quote
What is a comparable lens to the Canon 24-70 L F2.8 in your eyes for the Pentax mount ?
And what is a comparable lens to the Canon 70-200 L F2.8 IS in your eyes for the Pentax mount ?
Pentax don't have a FF fast zoom at the moment ... and I think it sucks as well

you can get the DA* 16-50 2.8
and the DA* 50-135 2.8

both great lenses but for crop sensors

but if for your need you need a FF fast zoom then maybe canon is you better option, and in my opinion Nikon will be the winner of the FF fast zooms

05-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mind you, you can have 3fps with the K20d, if you like, you could at least turn that up before complaining about only having the '2fps'

Obviously not blindingly-fast, but I've rarely seen the need for anything faster than two or two and a half, and those occasions weren't weddings. But, as you need.
05-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
Pentax don't have a FF fast zoom at the moment ... and I think it sucks as well

and the DA* 50-135 2.8

both great lenses but for crop sensors

but if for your need you need a FF fast zoom then maybe canon is you better option, and in my opinion Nikon will be the winner of the FF fast zooms
Agreed, or you can go off brand and get the Sigma HSM 70-200 f/2.8. I'm a little concerned why CameraLensRentals.com got enough bad lenses to post disclaimers on their rental page for the Sigma, however. I'm renting the Tamron version which I understand to be very good, but screw driven.

My point though was that going to a K-7 wasn't going to satisfy the itch his friend's thousand dollar glass scratched. An inexpensive screw driven lens will not, on any body, be faster and quieter than a high performance lens. Due to the differences in HOW Pentax does its AF, it MAY give you a better picture, however. A lot of people believe pretty strongly that Pentax gives you BETTER autofocus even when it's slower, and slow and in focus is sometimes a good trade for faster and a fuzzy.

It's fairly obvious, though, that a K-7 plus DA* glass is going to be more expensive than a Canon 50D and stealing his friend's glass. That advantage, naturally, goes out the window the second you buy your own equivalent lens.
05-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #41

I shoot with my Tamron 28-75 f/2.8.
And yes, the main problem is that it's almost impossible to focus on moving subjects - such as dancing people..
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 doesn't have a reputation for fast AF on Canon system either.
05-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #42

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
and the DA* 50-135 2.8
The DA Star lenses are way too expensive for a Pentax platform - if I need to pay so much for the lenses, Pentax loses its best advantage over Canonikon - THE PRICE.

either way, the 16-50 is not long enough, and the 50-135 is not wide enough....
05-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #43

The DA Star lenses are way too expensive for a Pentax platform - if I need to pay so much for the lenses, Pentax loses its best advantage over Canonikon - THE PRICE.

Well you want to have your cake and eat it too, but unfortunately in this case you can't. Pony up for a faster focusing lens or be happy that what you use is cheaper. It's the same if you're using Canon. The Canon 24-70 f/2.8L focuses faster than the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, which is no surprise.
05-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #44
Veteran Member

are you on crack?

16-50 is 24-75 in ff terms, and 50-135 is 75-202 in ff terms

the two most standardized zoom ranges in photography!

remind me again why all of a sudden you feel this isnt "good enough"?

and the cost advantage you speak of, its still there, while these lenses are not cheap, they are still much more affordable than their counterparts IF you factor in weather sealing and IS, which is something people conveniently forget about when making these on-my-knees fist wailing posts
05-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by unkabin Quote
Boy, this sure doesn't sound like viral marketing, or anyone coming here to bash the K-7. Odd that anyone would read this as such. I have used both a Canon 40D with a kit lens, and a K10D with a kit lens at weddings. In that comparison the Canon won hands down.
For the price difference between a K10D and a 40D (or a K20D and a 50D for that matter) one can get an f/2.8 wide-to-standard zoom to replace the Pentax kit lens (e.g. a Pentax 16-50/2.8 or a Tamron 17-50/2.8). I wonder if you'd still consider the Canon kit to be a better wedding camera then...

Prog.
Closed Thread