Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2009, 02:14 PM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Enc0der Quote
This is very nice, but you are forgetting the fact that the K20D sucks on AF and general performance.
Dude . ..
how old are you? now you just trolling

the K20D is far from being sucks... its one of the best Dslrs out there
and in many ways better then the 50D , for example in ergonomics , view finder, front wheel , wether resistant and so on .

in my opinion pentax have better colors then canon but that is debatable .

non of these cameras sucks both very good in a deferent way .

05-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is very nice, but you are forgetting the fact that the K20D sucks on AF and general performance.

How to take a decision 101:

Make a list of features (IQ, AF fps, LV, finder ergonomics...) and rank them according to your needs.

Then try both cameras if you can or just ask questions and read reviews when the camera will be available.

Rate both cameras/systems according to your list.

Take purchase decision.

Live happily ever after...
05-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #63

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
Dude . ..
how old are you? now you just trolling

the K20D is far from being sucks... its one of the best Dslrs out there
and in many ways better then the 50D , for example in ergonomics , view finder, front wheel , wether resistant and so on .

in my opinion pentax have better colors then canon but that is debatable .

non of these cameras sucks both very good in a deferent way .

YOU ARE TROLLING, PLEASE STOP.

As I said:
"This is very nice, but you are forgetting the fact that the K20D sucks on AF and general performance."

Your reply is completely irrelevant to my message, and considered trolling. Please stop.
05-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #64
Veteran Member

YOU ARE TROLLING, PLEASE STOP.

As I said:
"This is very nice, but you are forgetting the fact that the K20D sucks on AF and general performance."

Your reply is completely irrelevant to my message, and considered trolling. Please stop.
you're an idiot.

05-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Two things...

Hi,
IMHO, the current only real advantages that the Pentax platform have are the built-in SR, and of course the total price.
AND the weaherresistance... you only get that with Canon with the 5DMkII

However, in terms of performance, the 50D was so much better than the K20/K200...
AF with the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 USM was instant even in low and problematic lighting.
We shoot mostly wedding, concert, etc', where you can have a pretty dark frame, but with a large projector in the background. My Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 on my Pentax might take forever to focus on certain situations.
Burst shooting was obviously in another class - 6+ fps against a lame 2fps....

Also the user interface on the 50D was much better - scrolling through the images was extremely fast, zooming in/out was beautiful, and the only thing I missed was in-camera cropping (maybe I didn't look enough?).
Have you other folks noted that the OIP started with him looking at the 50D and after a few posts everybody jumped and was talking about 5D and FF???

Oh and today I held both Canons....
Man o man, 5D and 50D... I held them could not work with them... My fingers kept looking for dials and believe it or not, I had trouble finding the on/of switch!!!
I looked into it and noticed that the 500D has that switch on the side of the shutter button (too close to the edge I think), 5D and 50D on the back near the bottom and the 1Ds on the side... three different positions... Does not make sens to me
05-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #66

Original Poster
lol101, this is what I'm doing
All I did in this post was SHARING MY THOUGHTS, but I guess some people here are simply too childish to hear non-perfect thoughts about their camera.

oh well.

Anyway, as I said before - I'm waiting for the K-7, and having my finger crossed that it will bring some real improvements in the performance category.

Thank you all for participating in my thread.
Trolls, please stop trolling now
05-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #67

lol101, this is what I'm doing
All I did in this post was SHARING MY THOUGHTS, but I guess some people here are simply too childish to hear non-perfect thoughts about their camera.

oh well.

Anyway, as I said before - I'm waiting for the K-7, and having my finger crossed that it will bring some real improvements in the performance category.

Thank you all for participating in my thread.
Trolls, please stop trolling now
Everyone knows what Pentax's disadvantage is but everyone knows what the advantages are. Simple thing is that for hiking, travel photography and simillar there is no better camera than k20d for me. If you want to do wedding that;s different type of photography and frankly if I was doing wedding I wouldnt go for anything less than FF nikon or canon (possibly nikon).

Listing things which Pentax cant do is listing which they cant do for your need, k20d is perfect camera for my needs and it has traveled dozen of countries already like Morocco, Central Europe, UK, Germany, Italy and so on and as I said for me camera is perfect. Would I like faster focusing? I would. Would I like better high iso? I would but just get back 5 year, 10 years and realize what we have been using for weddings, travel and other types of photography and maybe you will get the picture.

05-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #68
Veteran Member

hehehe, this thread is funny..... sad... yet funny
05-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #69

I must admit I do find all the AF arguments 'interesting'!

My cousin shoots with a 1D MK3 and uses L glass, he tried my K20 with Sigma 100-300F4, his exact words 'f*** me, that focuses fast!'

He shot our wedding a couple of months ago, and the amount of out of focus shots is incredible. One series of shots, tracking my best man and I , outside, walking to the venue, 4 out of 15 shots are in focus, and only one of them is what I call sharp, not to mention they all have blown highlights. This was with the 24-70 f2.8L.

He also says that my image quality is just as good as his, but apart from 8FPS, how is that camera worth around 5 times the price of mine!!
05-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #70
Inactive Account

I have used both a Canon 40D with a kit lens, and a K10D with a kit lens at weddings.

Both kit lens at weddings? go figure.

cheers,

Rene
05-12-2009, 02:59 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unlocker Quote

He also says that my image quality is just as good as his, but apart from 8FPS, how is that camera worth around 5 times the price of mine!!
UNLOCK --you have some dream gear there in your signature

with your gear you can shoot what ever you want

Edit: I am saying that in a good way not out of jealousy
05-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
your "suitable range" was never covered during photographys most prominant period.

so really, you LUCKED OUT that APS-C came around (as did many, mostly the ones that get head aches trying to work out the FF/APS-C comparisons)
Ehhh, Gooshin, does this really matter? And when "most prominent period" actually is is open for debate imo. I personally like the 28-75 range on crop as well, better than the 16-50 range.

It's true that Pentax doesnt offer 28-75 range right now other than the discontinued FA, so if that's what the OP needs, as you said, he should switch.

Just from my experience Canon's low end bodies also process pictures way faster than my K100D (when previewing etc). This is not a dealbreaker for me right now, but it might be if I decide to shoot weddings. I'm hoping K-7 would be the real deal.

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
hehehe, this thread is funny..... sad... yet funny
+1 ^^;; more sad for me than funny though. People are so sensitive these days.

And to defend the OP. I see no aggression at all from the initial post (and most of the subsequent ones from him until the last few ones), but there were a lot of hostile replies; I can see how he got frustated and made that "K20D af sucks" comment. If anything I would suspect OP's attackers to be Canon spies Chill out people =) I love my camera but if it starts inhibiting me, I'll switch, or maybe run two systems.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 05-12-2009 at 03:17 PM.
05-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #73

Why, thankyou!

I've also shot a wedding with the DA*s and 31mm Ltd, blew the quality of the official photographers photos away with ease. He was shooting Nikon.
05-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Ehhh, Gooshin, does this really matter? And when "most prominent period" actually is is open for debate imo. I personally like the 28-75 range on crop as well, better than the 16-50 range.

It's true that Pentax doesnt offer 28-75 range right now, so if that's what the OP needs, as you said, he should switch.

Just from my experience Canon's low end bodies also process pictures way faster than my K100D (when previewing etc). This is not a dealbreaker for me right now, but it might be if I decide to shoot weddings.
i shoot wide to normal, results may vary.

also, there is a rather direct relationship between the advent of the APS-C format and the 17/18-50/55 kit lenses, dont you think?

pentax went one step further and re-created the then popular used fast telephoto zoom by making the 50-135, no one else seemed to think of doing the same at the time (AFAIK)

in my opinion it is by sheer chance that a good chunk of users who stuck their old 24/28-70 glass on their digital cameras and found it to be more useful than before (if there even was a before)
05-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #75

You missed the whole point. The point is that it DOES NOT SUCK when you make a reasonably comparison. The point is you are comparing apples to oranges. The point is you are comparing the speed of budget screw lens to a high performance very expensive USM lens and saying the body is responsible for the difference and asking if the next body will be faster. It's not. The L glass motor is faster and quieter, on Pentax, that's equivalent to the SDM lenses. The body has nothing to do with it.

If you're unhappy, change. Sell your K20D and lenses here on the marketplace and I'm sure people will treat you very nicely and give you more competitive prices than you'd get on Ebay, even though it's probably the people here that'd also be the ones buying it from you there as well.

Your reasoning, however, is absolute crap.

What I'm telling you is that you will waste your money if you buy a K-7, put that Tamron lens on it, and expect it to behave as quietly and quickly as your friends camera. It may have a TON of other features and advantages you'll like, but a budget screw lens will not behave like a top of the line USM or SDM or HSM lens, and if that's your only criteria, you're going to be unhappy.

In even smaller words, without the numbers, since they confused you:
You should not buy a K-7, put the same Tamron lens on it, and compare to the 50D and L glass. You are better off spending money on DA* glass and swapping lenses, or a spare body, and get more versatility for the same cost as that L glass OR swapping systems and borrowing your friend's lens. You can't just look at the numbers on a lens to compare them, you have to know what the letters mean, as well.
Closed Thread