Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2009, 08:17 AM   #1

any based rumors about the K-7's performance ?

Hi,

Yesterday I was trying out my friend's Canon 50D, and was very impressed with it.
He is trying to convince me to switch to Canon platform, mainly because he works with it and he wants me to work with him, and this way we can share lenses, etc'.

IMHO, the current only real advantages that the Pentax platform have are the built-in SR, and of course the total price.

However, in terms of performance, the 50D was so much better than the K20/K200...
AF with the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 USM was instant even in low and problematic lighting.
We shoot mostly wedding, concert, etc', where you can have a pretty dark frame, but with a large projector in the background. My Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 on my Pentax might take forever to focus on certain situations.
Burst shooting was obviously in another class - 6+ fps against a lame 2fps....

Also the user interface on the 50D was much better - scrolling through the images was extremely fast, zooming in/out was beautiful, and the only thing I missed was in-camera cropping (maybe I didn't look enough?).

And please don't kill me, but I actually like the size of the 50D with a grip, and the massive size of the Canon lenses (24-75 for instance).

The current 50D price tag is about $1,200.
According to rumors and common sense, the K-7 will cost even more.

If the K-7 wasn't so near, I would have probably put my Pentax gear on sale and switch to Canon - simply for the performance, which is a very important issue on wedding photography.

I sure hope that this won't happened, and that the K-7 will be everything we all hoping for it to be. I also love the fact that it will have video mode, unlike the Canon.

But I must say that I'm very skeptical.
It looks to me like Pentax are holding to unique (or almost unique) features such as the built-in SR and a very good WR body - but until now they totally ignore the performance department.

I have my fingers crossed that the K-7 will be a spectacular camera, also in terms of performance and processing power.

K-7 is my "last chance" for Pentax, after exactly 1 year of usage.
If it will not be able to compete with the big players (aka Canonikon)'s performance, I will have some serious thinking to do....

Do you believe the K-7 will have some serious improvements in term of performance?
I guess we'll know better in like 7 days from now...

p.s.
please move this thread to a more suitable board, if you believe it's more general talk than "News and Rumors"... I wasn't sure where should I post this.

Last edited by Enc0der; 05-12-2009 at 10:16 AM.
05-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #2

You are answering yourself, no need for questions:

If you think that the 50D is so much better, sell your Pentax gear and get into Canon. This is no religion, this is just equipment to make pictures that fits your needs.

Other people (including me for sure) disagree big time and won't switch brands as long as Pentax keeps on doing great cameras/lenses at a crazy price for their quality.
05-12-2009, 08:29 AM   #3

Original Poster
well, the question was: "Do you believe the K-7 will have some serious improvements in term of performance?"

This is actually more of a philosophical approach, Pentax needs to WANT to improve their cameras in term to perfomance... right now it doesn't really look like they care too much about it..
05-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Enc0der Quote
Hi,

.................................please move this thread to a more suitable board, if you believe it's more general talk than "News and Rumors"... I wasn't sure where should I post this.
I'm not sure where it should have been posted either, since we don't have a dedicated "Pentax bashing" section.

05-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Be sure to sell your Pentax gears to us with friendly asking price~
05-12-2009, 08:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I agree with you completely and have similar expectations for the K-7.

The only thing keeping Pentax back is the performance category. They are rockstars in every other category including some the big guys neglect (primes, WR, size etc.). Unfortunately for Pentax, performance is the key category for pros. And in this industry, where the pros go, most others follow.
05-12-2009, 08:41 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I'm not sure where it should have been posted either, since we don't have a dedicated "Pentax bashing" section.
Wooo, let's all turn on our Defensive Mode and get offended and cynical because someone said that Pentax does not have the best cameras in the world !!!

Pathetic.

I use Pentax for over a year now, and still think it gives the best value for money BY FAR.
But your complete ignorant to existing disadvantages is nothing more than ridiculous and pathetic.

I agree with illdefined, the only thing keeping Pentax back is the performance category - and it's a key category for pros.

05-12-2009, 08:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Thread moved to dpreview.com...

Seriously though, the next Pentax body isn't going to help you today. Could take months to show up in stores, and you have work to do this Summer. If your current kit can't cut it (for your needs), then you should switch! Now! Honestly!

For me, IQ and SR are more important than AF speed in the conditions you're describing, so I'm cool with the K20D and the Pentax lineup of lenses.

But I know a couple people who switched to Nikon for the AF and full frame options, and I don't hold it against them.

Sell your stuff here! Everybody's happy.

Or keep your favourite Pentax lens or two (I mean, that Tamron's only worth $250 used now, and it's a great lens, so if you can hang on to it, do!), sell the rest and maybe come back later after the dust has settled from the K-7 introduction.
05-12-2009, 08:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Enc0der Quote
Wooo, let's all turn on our Defensive Mode and get offended and cynical because someone said that Pentax does not have the best cameras in the world !!!

Pathetic.

No..it's just that you're focusing on one of Pentax's weakest areas and acting like that's the big decider. If it is for you, then fine...buy a Canon. Or, if you want to compare what the Pentax can do and the Canon can't, dunk both cameras in water and see which one wins. For some people, THAT will be a deciding factor. We all buy what works for us. For me personally, if my K10's AF took two weeks to lock focus, I wouldn't care because I only use manual focus lenses. Everyone's needs are not the same.
05-12-2009, 08:59 AM   #10

Original Poster
TaoMaas, I agree with you totally!

Yeah, MY thread talks about MY deciding factors (amazing!!!!!!!!!).
I never said that Pentax have bad cameras, I actually said the opposite.
Why is it that everytime someone mention a downside of a camera by Pentax, some people here "jumps to the rescue" and starts to insult him? This is really pathetic....
05-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Oh yes... I always forget that the web word for "taking a critical look" is "bashing"...

The guy uses Pentax, tries another brand and has some remarks on the differences he found in performances (mostly AF wise)... what's so wrong?

To the OP: K7 is supposed to bring a major AF update if you believe the buzz... wait and see I guess...
05-12-2009, 09:09 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
The guy uses Pentax, tries another brand and has some remarks on the differences he found in performances (mostly AF wise)... what's so wrong?...
Whats wrong is that he is using a Tamron lens, something Pentax AF isn't designed for. My K10D focus instantly on everything and the longest it has taken is 1 second and that is in a pitch black room lit by a single candle light. I'm sure a canon is faster by my reflexes aren't fast enough to detect the difference with a stop watch....
05-12-2009, 09:14 AM   #13

Original Poster
I also use Pentax 55-300, and Pentax 18-55.
All of them are the same, this has nothing to do with the Tamron.

Try to focus on something in a dark room (with an external flash [Pentax 540] AF-Assist beam), when you have a big moving spot lights in the background (aka "Dance Club", "Wedding Dance Floor", etc).

Last edited by Enc0der; 05-12-2009 at 10:17 AM.
05-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I were you I'd go with Canon. Going by the last big new product announcement (K10D...I don't consider the K20D a major new product, just K10D II) it took quite a few months for the new body to be available. Unless you have a lot of money invested in pentax gear, if I were in your shoes I'd get the Canon 5D now, this way you can start shooting with it tomorrow. The K-7 most likely won't be available for purchase until October at least. Wedding season will be long gone by then.

NaCl(carpe diem)H2O
05-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Whats wrong is that he is using a Tamron lens, something Pentax AF isn't designed for. My K10D focus instantly on everything and the longest it has taken is 1 second and that is in a pitch black room lit by a single candle light. I'm sure a canon is faster by my reflexes aren't fast enough to detect the difference with a stop watch....
Fishes is the tank with a FA50 or FA100/3.5 is ... slow as hell when it focus. But then this really isn't a standard situation nor are the best lenses for that exercise so I don't bitch about it. But improvements would be welcome nonetheless.
Closed Thread