Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 12:24 AM   #211
Veteran Member
blende8's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bremen, Germany
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,484
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
This has got to be one of the most puzzling requested/wanted feature I found.

K20D/10D has one of the best ISO integrated exposure control, with Sv, TAV mode; and you can control the ISO directly using the dials WITHOUT pressing any buttons.

And in other exposure modes, you simply press the OK button to change the ISO - i.e. it acts exactly like an ISO button.

So why do we need an separate ISO button? For the reviewers and those who don't read the manuals, I suppose.
Agree 100%.
This ISO button is useless.

They should better have retained the bracketing button!
I use it all the time on my K20 and am already thinking about what to do with the K7. Maneuver through the menu always?

05-19-2009, 01:06 AM   #212
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Agree 100%.
This ISO button is useless.

They should better have retained the bracketing button!
I use it all the time on my K20 and am already thinking about what to do with the K7. Maneuver through the menu always?
Let's hope the buttons can be reassigned, the iso button and the raw button will both be redundant for a lot of people.
05-19-2009, 01:41 AM   #213
Veteran Member
lol101's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Garennes sur Eure France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 900
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Agree 100%.
This ISO button is useless.

They should better have retained the bracketing button!
I use it all the time on my K20 and am already thinking about what to do with the K7. Maneuver through the menu always?
To me ISO button is useful but, like everything ergonomic, it's a matter of personal shooting habits.

Furthermore, now, the OK button cannot be used for ISO selection since in manual AF point selection, it will toggle the pad for the AF point selection.

It was impractical for me anyway, especially when using the grip.
05-19-2009, 01:44 AM   #214
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
It was impractical for me anyway, especially when using the grip.
I agree that using the OK button wasn't really that practical, but I'm probably not the only one who shoots mainly in Av mode with the front dial set to ISO selection, and then I don't really miss an ISO button - I have a whole ISO dial :-)

05-19-2009, 01:54 AM   #215
Veteran Member
RBellavance's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Near Montréal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,716
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I agree that using the OK button wasn't really that practical, but I'm probably not the only one who shoots mainly in Av mode with the front dial set to ISO selection, and then I don't really miss an ISO button - I have a whole ISO dial :-)
You're not the only one. I'm really hoping we can reassign the ISO button on the K-7. But it won't prevent me from buying one if we can't
05-19-2009, 01:56 AM   #216
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 22
I, too, have an ISO dial.

I also loved how pressing green moved me back to "auto ISO" automatically.
05-19-2009, 02:02 AM   #217
Veteran Member
lol101's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Garennes sur Eure France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 900
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I agree that using the OK button wasn't really that practical, but I'm probably not the only one who shoots mainly in Av mode with the front dial set to ISO selection, and then I don't really miss an ISO button - I have a whole ISO dial :-)
You're not the only one (I have the same configuration in Tv/Av as you) but then I don't see what's different with the apparition of a dedicated ISO button?

It will be easier to use in P and M mode (the later I use a lot) and won't change a thing in other modes where you'll still be able to put ISO on a dial for direct access... isn't it the definition of an improvement?
05-19-2009, 02:06 AM   #218
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,267
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
You're not the only one (I have the same configuration in Tv/Av as you) but then I don't see what's different with the apparition of a dedicated ISO button?

It will be easier to use in P and M mode (the later I use a lot) and won't change a thing in other modes where you'll still be able to put ISO on a dial for direct access... isn't it the definition of an improvement?
Because in manual mode, one dial is Av, the second one is Tv and you need a button for Iso.

05-19-2009, 02:08 AM   #219
Veteran Member
lol101's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Garennes sur Eure France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 900
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Because in manual mode, one dial is Av, the second one is Tv and you need a button for Iso.
... errr... isn't it precisely what I just said?
05-19-2009, 02:09 AM   #220
Veteran Member
blende8's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bremen, Germany
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,484
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
It will be easier to use in P and M mode (the later I use a lot) and won't change a thing in other modes where you'll still be able to put ISO on a dial for direct access... isn't it the definition of an improvement?
Ok, granted.
But abandon the bracketing button for it?
I often switch from bracketing to non-bracketing back and forth with my left thumb, without removing my eye from the view finder.
This isn't possible anymore now. Serious minus.
05-19-2009, 02:10 AM   #221
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,267
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Because in manual mode, one dial is Av, the second one is Tv and you need a button for Iso.
Ouch I should read better
Apologies lol101
05-19-2009, 02:20 AM   #222
Pentaxian
gazonk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Oslo area, Norway
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,512
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
It will be easier to use in P and M mode (the later I use a lot) and won't change a thing in other modes where you'll still be able to put ISO on a dial for direct access... isn't it the definition of an improvement?
Sure, I don't mind, I just say that since I mostly use Av, it's not of big importance to me.
05-19-2009, 02:20 AM   #223
Veteran Member
lol101's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Garennes sur Eure France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 900
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Ok, granted.
But abandon the bracketing button for it?
I often switch from bracketing to non-bracketing back and forth with my left thumb, without removing my eye from the view finder.
This isn't possible anymore now. Serious minus.
Where did you see that they traded the bracketing button for the ISO one?

They added the ISO button: that's one (good) thing.

The abandonned the bracketing button: that an other (bad) thing...
05-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #224
Veteran Member
KungPOW's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,702
I doubt the ISO button will add anything to the actual function of the camera. The steup on the K10D/K20D really is as good as it gets with regard to controling ISO.

But, unless you read the manual, it is not obvious.

What I think Pentax has done with the K-7 is make it obvious to anyone who looks at the camera where and how to get the the controls.

A Canikon user picking up a K20D for the first time in a store would never know to set the custom e-dial custom function, and/or use the OK button for ISO control. To anyone looking at the camera for the first time, it looks like you need to hit "function" "right key" to get to ISO.

So I think It was a great idea that Pentax has added an ISO button for no other reason then to help the person who picks the camera up for 10 minutes in the store.
05-19-2009, 09:33 AM   #225
Pentaxian
ryan s's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Madison, WI
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,370
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Ok, granted.
But abandon the bracketing button for it?
I often switch from bracketing to non-bracketing back and forth with my left thumb, without removing my eye from the view finder.
This isn't possible anymore now. Serious minus.
I'm waiting to see how the ISO button works (press, scroll, press...or hold, scroll, release...etc) before I say it's good or bad. Changing the ISO button while in the vertical position holding the grip (on the K10) is a fun exercise in agility

Well...I never use bracketing and I always change ISO. So like I said, let's wait a couple hours and see
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I doubt the ISO button will add anything to the actual function of the camera. The steup on the K10D/K20D really is as good as it gets with regard to controling ISO.

But, unless you read the manual, it is not obvious.

What I think Pentax has done with the K-7 is make it obvious to anyone who looks at the camera where and how to get the the controls.

A Canikon user picking up a K20D for the first time in a store would never know to set the custom e-dial custom function, and/or use the OK button for ISO control. To anyone looking at the camera for the first time, it looks like you need to hit "function" "right key" to get to ISO.

So I think It was a great idea that Pentax has added an ISO button for no other reason then to help the person who picks the camera up for 10 minutes in the store.
Definitely. It makes people think it's "hard" or "difficult to remember" unless there's a button staring them in the face...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax news, pentax rumors
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photos from real life wildman Post Your Photos! 13 04-21-2009 12:14 PM
Real Life Marina Photos (10 large photos) MightyMike Post Your Photos! 4 04-20-2009 08:22 AM
Hello I just have to say that I am real!!! cnitteberg Welcomes and Introductions 1 01-25-2009 03:56 PM
First "real" photos taken with the K100D seymop Post Your Photos! 2 11-28-2007 07:19 PM
First real photos with DA* 50-135mm: WOW!!! mikerigel Post Your Photos! 14 08-18-2007 03:16 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:39 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top