Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2009, 08:10 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Seems like the LV button is useless unless the LCD screen tilts and turns. I wish they would have done that instead of enlarging the LCD. It's hard reaching over people heads to take shots you can't see.

05-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #77

Less useful, sure. But I certainly wouldn't call it useless.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Seems like the LV button is useless unless the LCD screen tilts and turns. I wish they would have done that instead of enlarging the LCD. It's hard reaching over people heads to take shots you can't see.
05-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by ShutterWaster Quote
Do you have any idea of how to select AF point? seems direct press direction keys will not do this again. because when I press them I should roll wheels to change the corresponding settings.

and the button in center of mode dial is interesting, what does it used for?
The arrow keys have two functions... either as direct controls to the various functions (drive mode, WB etc.) OR to select the AF points. Hitting the ok button toggles between these two functions.
05-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #79
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
something interesting?

Attached Images

05-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #80
Forum Member

I have to agree with some of the earlier comments about it looking cheap. It also saddens me everytime I see that kit lens on the camera, the lens looks just like the canon 18-55 kit which as a Canon owner I will say is a pile of junk. I honestly think the reason it looks cheap though is because of the lighting used, the camera looks 100% plastic in the current lighting.

As far as the button layout is concerned, I would love to see a DLSR go touch screen for buttons like delete, and info. Nothing fancy, and it could use a screen lock like most touch screen phones have to prevent accidentally deleting anything. I guess it just seems odd that info, play, delete, and menu take up more room than anything. Personally I would love to see a dedicated exposure dial on the front right of the camera for your left index finger to use. This would eliminate the need for an exposure button and would make life a bit easier.

Oh and on the subject of LV, if the camera has well implemented LV then you will grow to love it. I use LV a lot on my 5DmkII, it is amazing when you are shooting low to the ground or you are in a tough spot, or just on a tripod in general, and manually focusing in LV is very easy with a bit of zoom, this makes my macro work spot on.

I guess my problem is sitll in the fact that they seem to have sacrificed to much in an order to condense the size. I hope I am wrong, and as others have said we need to have it in our hands before we can judge. Its just to bad there are like 10 places in the US where that is even possible.
05-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Since when did everyone whine about Pentax's cameras like this?

I swear I feel like I just heard the Rebel T1i had been released again, you all sound like the whiners on a Canon forum. I came here because I couldn't stand that, because I knew that Pentax users were better than that. I personally think the new camera is awesome.

Try getting a cheap enough weather sealed camera from another brand, with a WEATHER SEALED kit lens.
05-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #82
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I personally think the new camera is awesome.
So do I. When you will know specs...
It's small machine-gun.

05-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
something interesting?
yeah what is that, the "activate the crystals" button?
05-13-2009, 09:00 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
[QUOTE=JThe +,-/EV button was in the perfect spot. I have a feeling they moved it up top. Great. I'll have to reconfigure my grip and probably take my eye away from the viewfinder to adjust that now--that's a royal mistake and a stupid thing for them to rip off IMO.[/QUOTE]

^ Deal breaker for me, unless it's very, very easily accessible.

I'd say I use the EV compensation button on at least 2 of every 4 shots. It's impossible not to with the terrible underexposure issues on my K10D...
05-13-2009, 09:09 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
I'd say I use the EV compensation button on at least 2 of every 4 shots. It's impossible not to with the terrible underexposure issues on my K10D...
If you're using it that much, have you considered making one of the dials be EV comp instead of using the button?
05-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
I need a SR switch, when shooting stuff in low light I switch between SR and no SR to do pans all the time.

Edit: Darnit, I've fallen into the trap and am complaining about something thats not even released yet and that I wont have enough cash to buy for another year anyhow.
there may be a sensor for SR pans.
05-13-2009, 09:19 PM   #87
Marketplace Reseller

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
something interesting?
DOF preview? hexagon aperture and a picture window?
05-13-2009, 09:26 PM   #88
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MightyMike Quote
DOF preview? hexagon aperture and a picture window?
Everyone was wrong about the K-7 having a square sensor. It's a hexagonal sensor! This button will put you into 'hex mode.'
05-13-2009, 10:01 PM   #89

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
^ Deal breaker for me, unless it's very, very easily accessible.

I think instead of your thumb on ev + index finger on front dial, you will get index finger on ev and thumb on back dial... The latter is perfectly natural for me on the k100d...
05-13-2009, 10:10 PM   #90
Forum Member

Button placement on the K-7 is reminiscent of the D300/D700 placement in many respects, although I do prefer the ergonomics of the Pentax by a large margin (I haven't held it yet, but assuming it's as comfortable in my hands as I imagine, I think the buttons are placed just right).

The D700 has some truly horrible ergonomics, like the rear dial which is to the far right of the camera, causing you to twist your hand in a most unnatural manner when adjusting exposure compensation. This is one area that Pentax has gotten right many times.