Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2009, 01:52 AM   #121
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ions Quote
Think that that would be stupid E.g. in a middle of long exposure SR turns ON - just because wind is blowing and trees are waving, or any other moving objects that we want to catch in a long exposure.
unless there is additional option ON/OFF/DECIDE YUORSELF - like "Imitate some great photographer" function lol
Think man! Of course they are capable to block the SR to go on/off during an exposure!

05-14-2009, 04:52 AM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jay Quote
Am I the only person who realizes the goal of their product ergonomics design was to be able to operating all of the cameras shooting system one-handed? It allows you to keep your eye in the viewfinder as you tweak and adjust settings with your right hand, while holding your glass with your left hand. I obviouisly haven't shot with it yet -- but it seems clever.
Not the only person, no.

Haha, I noticed that, too. I'm reading all these requests for things like an auto-bracket button. I don't think I've ever used auto-bracketing on my camera before. Reading the complaints makes me want to figure out how different photographers work.
I think the auto-bracket request is coming because the K10D/K20D has a button for it. It's hard to give up a feature once you're used to it.

But now, honestly, from how I shoot, I'd say the AF point selector is worthless -- I never have any reason to move my point away from the middle, [...]
In theory, focusing with the center point and recomposing isn't as good as using the other points without moving the camera: Why Focus-Recompose Sucks

However, in practical use with the K10D, I agree with you, since I've had serious problems with the outside points grabbing the background instead of the intended subject. I've heard the K20D is better in this regard, so I'm hoping for good things from the K-7.

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
The big differance is that when Pentax is in P mode, the front and rear dials control Hyper-program mode. While with the Canon in P mode, the rear dial conrtols exp comp, and the front dial controls program shift.
I've found that I want to adjust EV more than I need hyperprogram it's nifty, but P-shift gets basically the same results. The compromise is that I use Av/Tv on the dial fairly often. If the rumored new metering system turns out to be awesome, I'll reevaluate.
05-14-2009, 04:56 AM   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote

I've found that I want to adjust EV more than I need hyperprogram it's nifty, but P-shift gets basically the same results. The compromise is that I use Av/Tv on the dial fairly often. If the rumored new metering system turns out to be awesome, I'll reevaluate.
K10 can be configured so one dial is P-shift and the other is EV-comp.
I wouldn't understand the K-7 would behave differently.
05-14-2009, 05:20 AM   #124
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
mayb there is a sensor that switches SR on and of when a tripod mount is near the camera..
Yes, this is it!

Who can do Face Recognition can also do Tripod Head Recognition (THR) in LiveView.

So, "show" your camera that it is awaiting a tripod and it will turn off SR

05-14-2009, 05:51 AM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Oh, please, please let it be my auto-hyperfocal idea.
Here's another hopeful soul to add to your cause, Matt
05-14-2009, 06:17 AM   #126
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
it only means that now we will have 4 different versions of 18-55....
4? What am I missing? I, II and WR makes three. What's the fourth?
05-14-2009, 06:21 AM   #127
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
II L (K-m plastic-mount version)
05-14-2009, 06:28 AM   #128
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Yes, forgot about that. Thanks.

05-14-2009, 08:21 AM   #129
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joerg Quote
As far as the button layout is concerned, I would love to see a DLSR go touch screen for buttons like delete, and info.
I can already imagine a whole range of new touch features, like freeing space by deleting pictures with the tip of your nose while you shoot.
Or even better, nose gestures! Swipe your nose to the right to move the AF point, or change the shooting mode.

More seriously, unless there is a way to disable the touch system automatically when you shoot it seems to me it would just get in the way.
05-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #130
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PhilippeG Quote
I can already imagine a whole range of new touch features, like freeing space by deleting pictures with the tip of your nose while you shoot.
Or even better, nose gestures! Swipe your nose to the right to move the AF point, or change the shooting mode.
Good joke.
05-14-2009, 09:34 AM   #131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Since when did everyone whine about Pentax's cameras like this?

I swear I feel like I just heard the Rebel T1i had been released again, you all sound like the whiners on a Canon forum. I came here because I couldn't stand that, because I knew that Pentax users were better than that. I personally think the new camera is awesome.

Try getting a cheap enough weather sealed camera from another brand, with a WEATHER SEALED kit lens.
I'm happy as can be. I'm no fanboy but I prefer Pentax stuff for a reason. Even though I can't afford it at release price, I'll get the new WR lens and start saving for the K-7.

I just ignore the complaints
QuoteOriginally posted by HGMonaro Quote
I hate the current SR lever... the Mrs is forever turning it off accidently. Drives me nuts and she doesn't check it enough which ends up effecting her shots. If it's menu based then I'm all for it!
She wouldn't like certain Canon models...they have a similar lever in a similar spot but it's the camera's on/off switch!
QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
Where's the "dispense kona coffee button"? I find the lack of it highly disappointing and a total deal breaker...
No real relevance to this topic...but...my dark kona blend was amazing this morning! Hit the spot like none other
QuoteOriginally posted by ions Quote
Think that that would be stupid E.g. in a middle of long exposure SR turns ON - just because wind is blowing and trees are waving, or any other moving objects that we want to catch in a long exposure.
unless there is additional option ON/OFF/DECIDE YUORSELF - like "Imitate some great photographer" function lol
I would think the sensor can "sense" whether its moving or not. If it stops moving or no movement at half-press, it's disabled.

We can't have a "great photographer" mode...only the Nikons that Ken Rockwell blesses by using them have those extra settings!
05-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #132
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PhilippeG Quote

More seriously, unless there is a way to disable the touch system automatically when you shoot it seems to me it would just get in the way.
And as the K-7 is WR no problem for camera health
Cleaning the screen however
05-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #133

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Pentax allows you to prgram the e-dials to adjust exp comp. But this is only useful in AV, SV, and TV modes. For P, TAV, and M modes, you still need to hit the exp comp button. The Pentax way is very powerful, and once you understand it, it is one of Pentax's strenghts over Canon and Nikon.

The big differance is that when Pentax is in P mode, the front and rear dials control Hyper-program mode. While with the Canon in P mode, the rear dial conrtols exp comp, and the front dial controls program shift.
Cool, thanks for the knowledge! I'm almost always in Av, so that's perfect. I've read a bit about hyper-program, but I'll need to use it to really wrap my brain around it I think.
05-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #134
Pentaxian

Actually, there's six...

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Add to those the white 'girly' and the camoflage 'manly' lenses.

Cheers,
Cameron
05-14-2009, 11:49 AM   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Add to those the white 'girly' and the camoflage 'manly' lenses.

Cheers,
Cameron
This is a picture of me still having trouble getting indignant about that.

But, yes, you can configure the dials on the K20 in a combination for each mode. It seems a lot of people who complain about lacks of certain things have never found the custom and setup menues. I'm still working out my general preferences for some modes.