Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #31
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KjetilH Quote
According to more or less confirmed rumors, the lens is a Weather Resistant version of the kit lens. A perfect companion!
QuoteOriginally posted by gacekthebat Quote
@Axl - WR stands for Weather resistant I believe.

I don't like the back as well, as someone put it - looks cheap...K20D looks a lot better. But maybe it's a fake inspired by X70 back
Nice one,
thanks guys

it only means that now we will have 4 different versions of 18-55....

05-13-2009, 03:21 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
more or less

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
weather resistant?
Not resistant as in " can resist any weather". I mean, I think itmight fail when exposed to baseball sized hailstones or a direct lightningstrike...

Probably "resistant"as in "can resist any weather you care to op out in without endangering your life"
05-13-2009, 03:31 PM   #33
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Nice one,
thanks guys

it only means that now we will have 4 different versions of 18-55....
Man, where have you been? The "WR" thing is sooooo last week
05-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bodhi Quote
If its real i dont like the back of the camera. It looks pretty cheap as X70
Seriously, folks, I couldn't care less how its rear end "looks"!
All I care about is ergonomics, the LCD Screen quality and the viewfinder!
After all, your face would hide its rear end anyways... :ugh:

I would reserve my criticism until I have held a K-7 in my hands and try out the controls.

05-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #35
Veteran Member

As long as I can get a grip with it I will be happy with its size.
05-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
agree about the grip, thats what makes or breaks a camera for me. I rarely even use it for the vertical position, I just like how it makes the body extend beyond my pinky.

personally I think the back buttons are well thought out. Most of the items that were in the custom shooting menu are now on buttons. Works for me!
05-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #37
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice... if it's the real deal.

I do like the layout of the K10D/K20D, using the left thumb to be able to press the Menu/info/trash/play buttons, it might take some getting used to with the K-7's new layout.

Like others, I'll reserve judgement until I've held and used one... whenever it comes out in Australia.

05-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Disagree about the back looking cheap

Hold your k20 up and compare... then try and see how you can fit a larger LCD screen in and accommodate the buttons

Very well thought out in my view

Neil
05-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
you're going to be in the vast minority for that statement "I want a smaller LCD".

even with this new layout, i still see room they could've used for the SR switch.

I never switch SR off, unless accidentally when hanging on my shoulder strap. So via MENU is better for me.

Rui
05-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #40
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
I never switch SR off, unless accidentally when hanging on my shoulder strap. So via MENU is better for me.

Rui
Here's hoping for a customizable "My Menu" section for quick access to it.

No Fn button, really? Isn't that a step backwards in customizability? Maybe there's another button on the other side of the lens mount that we haven't been able to see yet because of the lens blocking it from view.
05-13-2009, 04:51 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KjetilH Quote
According to more or less confirmed rumors, the lens is a Weather Resistant version of the kit lens. A perfect companion!
Perfect for what? if the body isn't
05-13-2009, 04:55 PM   #42
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Perfect for what? if the body isn't
Of course the body will be weather resistant...
05-13-2009, 04:58 PM   #43
Veteran Member

The ONE thing I don't like...

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Seriously, folks, I couldn't care less how its rear end "looks"!
All I care about is ergonomics, the LCD Screen quality and the viewfinder!
After all, your face would hide its rear end anyways... :ugh:

I would reserve my criticism until I have held a K-7 in my hands and try out the controls.
QuoteOriginally posted by jmbradd Quote
agree about the grip, thats what makes or breaks a camera for me. I rarely even use it for the vertical position, I just like how it makes the body extend beyond my pinky.

personally I think the back buttons are well thought out. Most of the items that were in the custom shooting menu are now on buttons. Works for me!
QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
Here's hoping for a customizable "My Menu" section for quick access to it.

No Fn button, really? Isn't that a step backwards in customizability? Maybe there's another button on the other side of the lens mount that we haven't been able to see yet because of the lens blocking it from view.
I wonder if this is what Ogl was talking about - no scrolling multi-position thumb botton like all the other Pentax and other digital cameras...what's up with that? Hope this doesn't open up a whole new messy operations menu, or maybe they've found a superb ergonomic solution and have eliminated that scroll wheel...the one on my *ist D never works right and is just too small for my hands - you have to really dig in to get it to work in some positions.

I'll reserve judgement till we see the camera, too.

Cheers,
Cameron
05-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I've avoided the K-7 stuff because I figure it will be what it is and there's no use discussing rumors. Now that it's been leaked (no surprise there), I'm not sure I like what I see.

First, here's what I do like from what I can make out: They've simplified the controls somewhat. Now, adjusting the WB, Flash, and Timer looks to be a one button affair--no need to press FN. And the screen is larger--the biggest improvement I can see.

Here's what they left alone, that they should've changed IMO: AE-L. I don't use it very often, but it's oddly placed. Using it requires me to move my whole hand around. It would've been great if they had moved it to the left of the rear dial where my thumb could easily activate it. The AF button is another button that might as well not even be there, but it looks a little more prominent now.

Here's what makes no sense to me whatsoever: the LV button. Why? Out of every 1000 shots I'll use live view maybe ten times. It was in the perfect spot before. I imagine video mode must be activated via the the on/off switch now. I don't want video, but that's fine. Whatever. If I turn either on accidently, I don't want the camera. Period. The +,-/EV button was in the perfect spot. I have a feeling they moved it up top. Great. I'll have to reconfigure my grip and probably take my eye away from the viewfinder to adjust that now--that's a royal mistake and a stupid thing for them to rip off IMO.

And here's what slightly bothers me: Info??? Why the heck is it nowhere near the play button? And since when did it become so important? It should've been right next to the play button IMO. And the delete button shouldn't be right next to the play button. I'll get used to that though. I'm sure the palm of my hand will smack the Menu button--here's hoping the new battery grip isn't a slippery beast. It also looks like the rubber around the viewfinder is flatter. That should make shooting in bright light that much more enjoyable (that's sarcasm). The lugs can break too.

I'm sure I'm going to get slammed by Pentax fanboys now for my mini-rant. But I'm just not impressed. Hopefully it's easier to use than I imagine it will be. Better yet, I hope this is the camera that slots in under the K20D and that there will be a greatly improved K30D. We'll see.
05-13-2009, 05:11 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
Maybe SR in one one of the arrow keys, since ISO is up top.
On that photo you can see left arrow for WB, top for drive mode, bottom flash and right Image process.