Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #151
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
To take unsharp photos? No, that was not what I was referring to

Think about lenses like this one: K 28/3.5 Shift
Yes I know that it can, via its own Firmware, correct aberrations, optical and lateral colour ones, and correct perspective errors like the shift 3.5 can do. I've studied the patent descriptions of all them and I understand that finally Pentax decided to include, hopefully, those in the K-7 body. But I can't see where SR enters the show. If SR is working with LV, then it's wonderful you'll be able to stabilize IMG and see a steady frame when using long teles. And if you tell me that you can use LV in the VF, instead of the Optical one, I applaud. After all I'm waiting for all these improvements for quite a while.

Last edited by RuiC; 05-14-2009 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Temptative to make my idea a bit more clear.
05-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
But I can't see where SR enters the show.
But it's all done through the SR magnetics.
05-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
looks like in-camera raw development to me.
Looks like a K20 interface to me. Not seeing how these things being there is 'sad news' for a RAW shooter. In fact, it's a happy thing for me, having JPeg controls and in-camera processing, since buying a whole 'nuther computer to batch-process RAW files with isn't going to be worth it till I get the glass squared away, anyway.
05-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #154
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
It's a SHIFT lens, not a TILT lens
Bah. I saw "shift" and thought "tilt-shift". Still stuck in Canon lens mode Well that's not nearly as exciting.

05-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #155
Inactive Account

And if you tell me that you can use LV in the VF, instead of the Optical one, I applaud. After all I'm waiting for all these improvements for quite a while.
That would be interesting. An optical/electronic hybrid viewfinder. I wouldn't care so much about this for live view, and I have no idea about the technical feasibility of such a beast, but this would be GREAT for video. All of these look-at-the-back-LCD-for-video implementations are junk. Being able to look through a viewfinder while taking video would be terrific.
05-14-2009, 03:30 PM   #156
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=wll;594008]Got these off dpreview ... if they are real, camera looks pretty cool !

wll

i just dont get it, its either Pentax has the most morons working in their marketing department or Pentax does not have a clue how to run a business
no where on Pentax site states about a K30D or a K7, but yet thewre is much talk going around

Dave
05-14-2009, 03:44 PM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dafiryde Quote
i just dont get it, its either Pentax has the most morons working in their marketing department or Pentax does not have a clue how to run a business
no where on Pentax site states about a K30D or a K7, but yet thewre is much talk going around

Dave
I'm not sure where you're looking, but the "New K" is proheminently displayed on the front page of the following Pentax websites:

PENTAX Digital Cameras and DSLRs - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site (Pentax U.S.A.)
Pentax Canada (Pentax Canada)
PENTAX (Pentax Japan)

as well as several others.

05-14-2009, 04:03 PM   #158
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It's dangerous machine gun. Could kill 6 in a tick of the clock.
That was mean. So, 6 fps?

Finally happily adding to the rampant speculations.
05-14-2009, 04:04 PM   #159
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
^ I think he might mean that there's no official confirmation of the camera name...perhaps.

Or mention of specs, release date, etc.

Either way, the main thing is, there is a new camera coming. That is official.
05-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #160
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nanao. Quote
That was mean. So, 6 fps?

Finally happily adding to the rampant speculations.
Some would say it's fantastic. Just a hint.
05-14-2009, 04:31 PM   #161
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
That would be interesting. An optical/electronic hybrid viewfinder. I wouldn't care so much about this for live view, and I have no idea about the technical feasibility of such a beast, but this would be GREAT for video. All of these look-at-the-back-LCD-for-video implementations are junk. Being able to look through a viewfinder while taking video would be terrific.
I was trying to think about what trick Pentax has up it's sleeve for the viewfinder as that's what some are hinting at. I was thinking of a hybrid optical/electronic hybrid viewfinder, sort of like a HUD for a plane. They could project a histogram and other useful information on the OVF when using the OVF but it could also project the view from the sensor when the mirror is up.

In addition to video as previously mentioned, this would be helpful with mirror lockup, bulb exposures, and continuous shooting. In fact I'd find it extremely helpful to not have the viewfinder blackout when not in continuous shooting as it's easier to monitor people's facial expressions and movements to prepare for the next shot when the viewfinder doesn't blackout (think rangefinders).

Another thing that could be done is simulating the exposure of the final image and depth of field similar to what can be done in LiveView, but done inside the viewfinder where there is less problems with glare, contrast, etc.

Thinking about it, a hybrid viewfinder would be a pretty big innovation for SLR cameras.
05-14-2009, 04:42 PM   #162
Veteran Member

Rats !

In a menu, correct.
If we need to go to a menu to pan (turn SR off) then back again through the menu for a fixed subject, some of us will be missing shots.

That was the greatest surprise about my K2000. I couldn't monitor a scene through the VF then choose the right SR mode for the moment by touch. The menu arrangement is very P&S-like, not prosumer. Fine for landscapes as the mountain doesn't move much. But not good for kids, dogs, horses, aviation events, or really events of most any kind.

I can jump to video quickly but cannot change SR quickly and intuitively.

Rats.

Or did I miss something?
05-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #163
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bpjod Quote
I was trying to think about what trick Pentax has up it's sleeve for the viewfinder as that's what some are hinting at. I was thinking of a hybrid optical/electronic hybrid viewfinder, sort of like a HUD for a plane. They could project a histogram and other useful information on the OVF when using the OVF but it could also project the view from the sensor when the mirror is up.

In addition to video as previously mentioned, this would be helpful with mirror lockup, bulb exposures, and continuous shooting. In fact I'd find it extremely helpful to not have the viewfinder blackout when not in continuous shooting as it's easier to monitor people's facial expressions and movements to prepare for the next shot when the viewfinder doesn't blackout (think rangefinders).

Another thing that could be done is simulating the exposure of the final image and depth of field similar to what can be done in LiveView, but done inside the viewfinder where there is less problems with glare, contrast, etc.

Thinking about it, a hybrid viewfinder would be a pretty big innovation for SLR cameras.

It's here:

United States Patent Application: 0070019945
05-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Looks like a K20 interface to me. Not seeing how these things being there is 'sad news' for a RAW shooter. In fact, it's a happy thing for me, having JPeg controls and in-camera processing, since buying a whole 'nuther computer to batch-process RAW files with isn't going to be worth it till I get the glass squared away, anyway.
Let me explain.

I just posted K20D interface screenshot to illustrate my guess about that hexagonal symbol.

"Sad day for a RAW shooter" is because those image modes are for JPEG. If this button really is for image modes, that means that RAW shooter will have second button, which is completely useless for him. The first one is RAW button.
05-14-2009, 05:04 PM   #165
Forum Member

Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

Interesting.. This pentax patent describes an EL-display in the viewfinder, which allows one to move the mirror up and use the ccd for contrast af and metering while displaying a digital image in the viewfinder when half-pressing the shutter button..

I'm starting to wonder if this is the "revolutionary" new feature.. since there is supposed to be something "special" about the viewfinder..