Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 01:04 AM   #196
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by matthis Quote
Perspective correction is never done by tilting the lens but only by shifting. It does not matter if the lens or the sensor is shifted. Focus is not affected by shifting.
Indeed, and that was what I was referring to (to RuiC).

05-18-2009, 01:18 AM   #197
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by remnant Quote
I think this button activates a hybrid viewfinder. Partially a typical mirrored image from the penta-prism and partially an electronic image such as a histogram or white balance. I think that is the entirely new feature...
Guys really... this is very similar to the symbol as used in K10/K20 for the jpeg picture styles...

Pentax K20D Review: 11. Menus: Digital Photography Review

Rectangle is for tone curve, hexagon is for color space.

It used to be activated by Fn + OK button but now that Fn is gone, it has simply been assigned to the right button... (which used to be ISO but since there is now a dedicated ISO button...).
05-18-2009, 01:50 AM   #198
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Rectangle is for tone curve, hexagon is for color space.
Yes, this is the favourite guess by now.

But would a 645D have such a button? And if so, wouldn't it be an open hexagon rather than a filled one?

When pressing the Fn button, you had a choice of 5 selections:
- Custom image (an open hexagon)
- Drive mode (a rectangle)
- WB
- ISO
- Flash

WB and Flash are still there, ISO has moved as button to another location. Drive mode got the timer symbol as a button (and I assume that bracketing now is a drive mode).

Custom image is a menu item on the K-m. So, it is indeed the one missing button from the Fn functions anyway.
05-18-2009, 02:16 AM   #199
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
We might be able to reassign that button to drive mode.

05-18-2009, 03:23 AM   #200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
OK. Maybe you are talking about correcting this distortion in body:
QuoteOriginally posted by matthis Quote
Perspective correction is never done by tilting the lens but only by shifting. It does not matter if the lens or the sensor is shifted. Focus is not affected by shifting.
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Indeed, and that was what I was referring to (to RuiC).
To begin with, perspective distortion is introduced when you tilt the camera up for the shot. It is logical that to correct it you need to tilt back the image sensor, film or whatever. When you shift the optics their optical axis is no longer perpendicular to the film plane. Then if you have no shift lens then you have to make sensor plane tilt to obtain perpendicularity? Is this correct?
05-18-2009, 05:01 AM   #201

To begin with, perspective distortion is introduced when you tilt the camera up for the shot. It is logical that to correct it you need to tilt back the image sensor, film or whatever. When you shift the optics their optical axis is no longer perpendicular to the film plane. Then if you have no shift lens then you have to make sensor plane tilt to obtain perpendicularity? Is this correct?
Perspective control lens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
05-18-2009, 05:04 AM   #202
Pentaxian

Matthis' link explains it very good. When you have a shift lens, the camera needs to be perfectly horizontal. Without a shift lens, but a movable sensor (in the X and Y axis), the camera (and thus the sensor) needs to be perfectly horizontal too.

But let's not expect too much from this feature. However, for me it's quite handy if the camera can fix the horizon if the camera isn't quite level.

05-18-2009, 06:58 AM   #203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Matthis' link explains it very good. When you have a shift lens, the camera needs to be perfectly horizontal. Without a shift lens, but a movable sensor (in the X and Y axis), the camera (and thus the sensor) needs to be perfectly horizontal too.

But let's not expect too much from this feature. However, for me it's quite handy if the camera can fix the horizon if the camera isn't quite level.
OK Thanks. I need to practice a little more. Anyhow they say that a lens shift can go as long as 11mm. On the sensor side the ratio will permit maybe 2~3mm max shift to accomplish the operation.

Maybe you can do this in camera:

United States Patent Application: 0080266426
Attached Images

05-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #204

That's really interesting.
The Pentax K28/3.5 Shift lens can shift up to 11mm, so if the sensor can only be moved a few mm the correction made is not going to be spectacular...but maybe if they implement this patent is possible that the in camera processor can correct further distortions.

Is all this a possibility?
05-18-2009, 09:03 AM   #205
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Turo Quote
That's really interesting.
The Pentax K28/3.5 Shift lens can shift up to 11mm, so if the sensor can only be moved a few mm the correction made is not going to be spectacular...but maybe if they implement this patent is possible that the in camera processor can correct further distortions.

Is all this a possibility?
I believe that 2mm shift on the sensor will be equivalent to a much greater shift on the lens. I can't make any calculations on this.
05-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #206
Inactive Account

With 2mm shift vertically and 3mm horisontal you could do a four shot burst that would be equivalent of about a 30mm x 20mm sensor. This is quite close to the 1.3x crop. It could be useful on some situations maybe. :P

But I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't have this action.

05-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #207
Veteran Member

I believe that 2mm shift on the sensor will be equivalent to a much greater shift on the lens. I can't make any calculations on this.
Oh, the calculations are easy. Because the factor is 1.
05-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #208

QuoteOriginally posted by HermanLee Quote
Seriously guys,

Look at the button on the right of OK button:

what is that Hexagonal button on the right for?
I have no idea. Must check my new 645D first.
Let's see ....... hmmmm. Nope it is not for the viewfinder but I have no idea what it is for
Attached Images

05-18-2009, 05:04 PM   #209
Veteran Member

Dedicated ISO BUTTON FINALLY!@!!!!
05-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #210
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kthung Quote
Dedicated ISO BUTTON FINALLY!@!!!!
This has got to be one of the most puzzling requested/wanted feature I found.

K20D/10D has one of the best ISO integrated exposure control, with Sv, TAV mode; and you can control the ISO directly using the dials WITHOUT pressing any buttons.

And in other exposure modes, you simply press the OK button to change the ISO - i.e. it acts exactly like an ISO button.

So why do we need an separate ISO button? For the reviewers and those who don't read the manuals, I suppose.