Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 12:24 AM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
This has got to be one of the most puzzling requested/wanted feature I found.

K20D/10D has one of the best ISO integrated exposure control, with Sv, TAV mode; and you can control the ISO directly using the dials WITHOUT pressing any buttons.

And in other exposure modes, you simply press the OK button to change the ISO - i.e. it acts exactly like an ISO button.

So why do we need an separate ISO button? For the reviewers and those who don't read the manuals, I suppose.
Agree 100%.
This ISO button is useless.

They should better have retained the bracketing button!
I use it all the time on my K20 and am already thinking about what to do with the K7. Maneuver through the menu always?

05-19-2009, 01:06 AM   #212
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Agree 100%.

I use it all the time on my K20 and am already thinking about what to do with the K7. Maneuver through the menu always?
Let's hope the buttons can be reassigned, the iso button and the raw button will both be redundant for a lot of people.
05-19-2009, 01:41 AM   #213
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Agree 100%.

To me ISO button is useful but, like everything ergonomic, it's a matter of personal shooting habits.

Furthermore, now, the OK button cannot be used for ISO selection since in manual AF point selection, it will toggle the pad for the AF point selection.

It was impractical for me anyway, especially when using the grip.
05-19-2009, 01:44 AM   #214
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
It was impractical for me anyway, especially when using the grip.
I agree that using the OK button wasn't really that practical, but I'm probably not the only one who shoots mainly in Av mode with the front dial set to ISO selection, and then I don't really miss an ISO button - I have a whole ISO dial :-)

05-19-2009, 01:54 AM   #215
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
I agree that using the OK button wasn't really that practical, but I'm probably not the only one who shoots mainly in Av mode with the front dial set to ISO selection, and then I don't really miss an ISO button - I have a whole ISO dial :-)
You're not the only one. I'm really hoping we can reassign the ISO button on the K-7. But it won't prevent me from buying one if we can't
05-19-2009, 01:56 AM   #216

I, too, have an ISO dial.

I also loved how pressing green moved me back to "auto ISO" automatically.
05-19-2009, 02:02 AM   #217
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
You're not the only one (I have the same configuration in Tv/Av as you) but then I don't see what's different with the apparition of a dedicated ISO button?

It will be easier to use in P and M mode (the later I use a lot) and won't change a thing in other modes where you'll still be able to put ISO on a dial for direct access... isn't it the definition of an improvement?

05-19-2009, 02:06 AM   #218
Pentaxian

You're not the only one (I have the same configuration in Tv/Av as you) but then I don't see what's different with the apparition of a dedicated ISO button?

It will be easier to use in P and M mode (the later I use a lot) and won't change a thing in other modes where you'll still be able to put ISO on a dial for direct access... isn't it the definition of an improvement?
Because in manual mode, one dial is Av, the second one is Tv and you need a button for Iso.
05-19-2009, 02:08 AM   #219
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Because in manual mode, one dial is Av, the second one is Tv and you need a button for Iso.
... errr... isn't it precisely what I just said?
05-19-2009, 02:09 AM   #220
Veteran Member

Ok, granted.
But abandon the bracketing button for it?
I often switch from bracketing to non-bracketing back and forth with my left thumb, without removing my eye from the view finder.
This isn't possible anymore now. Serious minus.
05-19-2009, 02:10 AM   #221
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Ouch I should read better
Apologies lol101
05-19-2009, 02:20 AM   #222
Pentaxian

Sure, I don't mind, I just say that since I mostly use Av, it's not of big importance to me.
05-19-2009, 02:20 AM   #223
Veteran Member

Ok, granted.
I often switch from bracketing to non-bracketing back and forth with my left thumb, without removing my eye from the view finder.
Where did you see that they traded the bracketing button for the ISO one?

They added the ISO button: that's one (good) thing.

The abandonned the bracketing button: that an other (bad) thing...
05-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #224
Veteran Member

I doubt the ISO button will add anything to the actual function of the camera. The steup on the K10D/K20D really is as good as it gets with regard to controling ISO.

But, unless you read the manual, it is not obvious.

What I think Pentax has done with the K-7 is make it obvious to anyone who looks at the camera where and how to get the the controls.

A Canikon user picking up a K20D for the first time in a store would never know to set the custom e-dial custom function, and/or use the OK button for ISO control. To anyone looking at the camera for the first time, it looks like you need to hit "function" "right key" to get to ISO.

So I think It was a great idea that Pentax has added an ISO button for no other reason then to help the person who picks the camera up for 10 minutes in the store.
05-19-2009, 09:33 AM   #225
Veteran Member

Ok, granted.
I'm waiting to see how the ISO button works (press, scroll, press...or hold, scroll, release...etc) before I say it's good or bad. Changing the ISO button while in the vertical position holding the grip (on the K10) is a fun exercise in agility

Well...I never use bracketing and I always change ISO. So like I said, let's wait a couple hours and see
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I doubt the ISO button will add anything to the actual function of the camera. The steup on the K10D/K20D really is as good as it gets with regard to controling ISO.

But, unless you read the manual, it is not obvious.

What I think Pentax has done with the K-7 is make it obvious to anyone who looks at the camera where and how to get the the controls.

A Canikon user picking up a K20D for the first time in a store would never know to set the custom e-dial custom function, and/or use the OK button for ISO control. To anyone looking at the camera for the first time, it looks like you need to hit "function" "right key" to get to ISO.

So I think It was a great idea that Pentax has added an ISO button for no other reason then to help the person who picks the camera up for 10 minutes in the store.
Definitely. It makes people think it's "hard" or "difficult to remember" unless there's a button staring them in the face...