Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2009, 04:08 PM   #31
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 421
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that Pentax would be getting so much buzz. I've also heard (here?) that it was mentioned on engaget (sp?)

NaCl(it would be nice not to hear "what's a Pentax?" so much)H2O


Yes, that was me who tipped them off with pictures posted on this forum.

- Andrew

05-14-2009, 04:54 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,455
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
It will be interresting to see how it is received when all the people that have got a chance to test it is allowed to write about it, but at least it appears to me that this rumor-marketing might be working, and that probably with very small marketting costs so far. Does anyone know of a case where something else been marketed this way before?
The (horrible) movie Snakes on a Plane, the epitome of successful viral internet teaser marketing.

$150,000,000 gross on a $3,000,000 budget - and almost no marketing expense.

You can only get away with it once, though.
05-15-2009, 12:40 PM   #33
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 174
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Canon T1i/500D is NOT a direct competitor to K-7. Its use of pentamirror, smaller viewfinder, slower fps, slower shutter speed, slower x-sync, lack of top LCD, lack of weather sealing etc justifies its lower price. And any T1i/500D potential buyers would be horrified to find out that there are no scene modes in K-7...
Well the Canon T1i has 3 in. screen (better than K20d), 1/200 xsync (better than k20d), 3.4 ft. per sec (better than k20d), .95 viewfinder (same as k20d), 1/4000 (same as k20d). Missing weather seals and pentaprism of K20d.

Lets wait and see how it compares. Obviously a step down from the specs thrown around for K-7 but how far? Sounds like K20d with real live view, video, and access to Canon glass. Just being devils advocate.

I hope K-7 is a home run and Pentax continues to improve product line. Can't wait to see.
05-18-2009, 02:36 PM   #34
Veteran Member
RuiC's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lisboa - The Grocery
Posts: 616
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Perhaps they are getting some of the wrong kind of attention. It looks like Sony is preparing to introduce 3 new DSLR cameras a couple of days before Pentax introduces the K7.
Sony Alpha 230, 330 and 380: dSLR leakski | Crave - CNET
The K7 introduction might just as easily end up being completely missed in the crowd.
Sony? what is Sony? I heard that Sony is Past.

05-18-2009, 02:48 PM   #35
Veteran Member
Torphoto's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Trinidad W.I.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 620
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Sony? what is Sony? I heard that Sony is Past.
Don't bet on that. lets just use where I live as an example of camera popularity since we mostly just follow the trends in the USA.

This is Canikon land you can walk into Pricesmart ( Costco ) and pick up a D60 or rebel, the few stores that stock Dslrs have every Canikon everything and now SONY!!!!

No Oly's or Pentaxs anywhere save for point and shoots, 99% here don't even know either has Dslrs.

Now Personally I know one other Pentax user with a K100D who we sometimes swap lesnes ( a non forum member who does autocross racing shots I am quite impressed with what he gets vs guys with 1ds and d2h ).

Now at the last fashion show I went to there were at least 3-4 sony shooters ( one A900 the rest lower end A200's etc ) at least 1 fuji S (something ) pro, dozens of canon 40D's and rebels, 2 1ds mkII's, a D3, a pair of D300's and countless D200's and D80's then me with the K20D. Strange thing is I was the only one with F2.8 glass save for the lone 70-200 F2.8L on the 1ds.

Sony is getting popular through marketing and brand identity, their Dslrs are showing up in places like here and that says alot.
05-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #36
Veteran Member
RuiC's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lisboa - The Grocery
Posts: 616
QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
Don't bet on that. lets just use where I live as an example of camera popularity since we mostly just follow the trends in the USA.

This is Canikon land you can walk into Pricesmart ( Costco ) and pick up a D60 or rebel, the few stores that stock Dslrs have every Canikon everything and now SONY!!!!

No Oly's or Pentaxs anywhere save for point and shoots, 99% here don't even know either has Dslrs.

Now Personally I know one other Pentax user with a K100D who we sometimes swap lesnes ( a non forum member who does autocross racing shots I am quite impressed with what he gets vs guys with 1ds and d2h ).

Now at the last fashion show I went to there were at least 3-4 sony shooters ( one A900 the rest lower end A200's etc ) at least 1 fuji S (something ) pro, dozens of canon 40D's and rebels, 2 1ds mkII's, a D3, a pair of D300's and countless D200's and D80's then me with the K20D. Strange thing is I was the only one with F2.8 glass save for the lone 70-200 F2.8L on the 1ds.

Sony is getting popular through marketing and brand identity, their Dslrs are showing up in places like here and that says alot.
I don't know... Just keep update with financial reports from Japan electronics (and camera) makers.
05-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #37
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,299
QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
Sony is getting popular through marketing and brand identity, their Dslrs are showing up in places like here and that says alot.
Yes, and their 2xx/3xx series cameras were their most successful to date; it was a home run for them. Consumers totally bought their pseudo-Live View big time. That's why they are updating them (only the model number as far as I can see) to keep them fresh in consumers' mind.
05-19-2009, 08:10 PM   #38
Veteran Member
mattdm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,964
amazon blog post on k-7 prerelease

This doesn't say anything we don't know, but it's surprisingly clueful ó much more so than the Engadget blurb ó and it's interesting to see an "outside" perspective of all this hoopla.

End User: The K7, Pentax's compact, professional, worst-kept secret

05-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #39
Inactive Account




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Brisbane, QLD, AUS
Posts: 3,262
RiceHigh seems to be viewed as some sort of seer in regards to all things Pentax.

I 'spose that's the power of the internet for ya - you don't need knowledge, or anything. Just moxie.

More trouble than it's worth.
05-21-2009, 09:10 AM   #40
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,845
Regarding the Canon campaign, it started from official side. This thing started small, but exploded, with extreme attention.


QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Canon T1i/500D is NOT a direct competitor to K-7. Its use of pentamirror, smaller viewfinder, slower fps, slower shutter speed, slower x-sync, lack of top LCD, lack of weather sealing etc justifies its lower price. And any T1i/500D potential buyers would be horrified to find out that there are no scene modes in K-7...
Good one




QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
My assumption is it'll be placed between the 50d and D300 class for specs: kind of a sidestep from the K20d level with video and some performance improvements.
Sounds about right



QuoteOriginally posted by karl79 Quote
Being a videographer I can tell that due to it's expected video mode the K-7 gets a lot of attention outside still photography communities as well. If they did a good job on video mode, Pentax will be recognized by many people probably for the first time
I donít know much about this, but what does the K7 do differently, then other DSLRs on the market regarding video ?

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Yes, and their 2xx/3xx series cameras were their most successful to date; it was a home run for them. Consumers totally bought their pseudo-Live View big time. That's why they are updating them (only the model number as far as I can see) to keep them fresh in consumers' mind.
interesting
05-21-2009, 12:52 PM   #41
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
RiceHigh seems to be viewed as some sort of seer in regards to all things Pentax.

I 'spose that's the power of the internet for ya - you don't need knowledge, or anything. Just moxie.

More trouble than it's worth.
The K-7 is getting a lot of chatter on photo.net as well including a lot of mis-information from rh.

Pentax forum from Photo.net

Maybe rh will actually buy a K7 before he reviews it unlike the past 6 or 7 digital bodies.
05-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #42
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,799
"mis-information for RH"

empty drums make the most noise.
let the numbers do the talking.

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-31-2010 at 05:22 PM.
05-24-2009, 02:36 AM   #43
Veteran Member
benjikan's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,312
Today...But this is perfectly normal as in all new launches for any DSLR.
Attached Images
   
05-24-2009, 03:03 AM   #44
Pentaxian
Digitalis's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Adelaide.
Posts: 8,799
it's great pentax are getting more recognition though the release of the K7. I'll point out that the reception of cannons newer cameras was more lukewarm.
05-24-2009, 03:19 AM   #45
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 255
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The K-7 is getting a lot of chatter on photo.net as well including a lot of mis-information from rh.

Pentax forum from Photo.net

Maybe rh will actually buy a K7 before he reviews it unlike the past 6 or 7 digital bodies.
Wow, is it me or do people on there just squint at the numbers on spec sheets and ignore major things like...price and weather sealing?

Not to mention how Canon and Nikon tend to cripple their lower models to protect their higher models.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, fan, fans, forum, gadget, k-7, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, rh, site, sites
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official Inception Hype Thread deadwolfbones General Talk 11 07-11-2010 07:07 AM
Attention Pentax Professional Services members... CaymanImaging Photographic Industry and Professionals 3 04-01-2010 11:47 AM
People Attention span gti5notrkt Post Your Photos! 1 11-25-2009 11:03 AM
K7 lightweight????? No, just hype TwoLegged Pentax DSLR Discussion 104 06-03-2009 10:19 AM
Attention Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 and Pentax 300/f4 SDM users- need urgent help Aditya Panda Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 22 11-14-2008 03:46 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:17 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top