Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2009, 02:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-7 hype getting attention outside Pentax forum?

Pentax way of marketing the K-7 with what seams like deliberate leaks and teasers is certainly very entertaining for a fan like myself, and has obviously got a lot of attention in web places where Pentax fans dwell. But is it getting any attention in more general camera/photo circles?

I tried to answer this question by searching for "Pentax K-7" on google. Based on the top 20 links that I got from Google, 8 are from Pentax fan sites, and 12 from general camera/photo/electronic gadget sites or even from sites featuring the competition (see list below). This looks to me quite much as if Pentax K-7 marketting is getting noticed outside Pentax fan circles.

1. Ricehighs blogg. Congratulations RH. But you probably classify like a fan even if some people have consider you sort of a anti-fan.

2. Wikeipedia. Wow, someone already made a post on the K-7 at wikipedia, but that was probably a fan...

3-4. Photorumor.com. A general camera site, a bit Nikon dominated (?). They have several more posts on the K-7.

5. Imaginginsider.com. A pro photo-news site.

6. Crunchgear.com. Gereral electronics gadget blogg.

7. fotosidan.se. Gereral Swedish camera/photo forum. Pentax is normally not very visible here.

8. 43rumor.com. Obviously a forum for Olympus and Panasonic users. Why do they write about the K-7. Worried that it will be so small and so much better than a 43sensor camera?

9. Pentax DSLR talk at dpreview. Obviously fans.

10. Just someone linking to RH.

11. mflenses.com. Retrostyle of the K-7 naturally impress on people who like manual lenses(?)

12. Pentax forums. No comments

13. Neutralday.com. General photographic/camera site.

14. Steve Dentons news/rumor/blogg/review site. Siting RH Loads of these links do actually. Ricehigh is getting famoused on this.

15. Yvon Bourques Pentaxdslr.blogspot.com. Unlike RH Yvon is on NDA and can't write freely. I think YB also counts as a fan.

16-17. Steves Digicams forum - Pentax/Samsung DSLR. Also counts as fans.

17. dpreview again.

18. oxle.com. General Dutch camera site.

19. Technews.am. General elecronic gadget site.

20. Prophotohome.com. General photo forum, canikon dominated.

05-14-2009, 03:30 AM   #2
Inactive Account

nice dig!

thank's for the time to collect all this info
05-14-2009, 03:35 AM   #3
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1001 Noisy Cameras
05-14-2009, 03:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought that Pentax would be getting so much buzz. I've also heard (here?) that it was mentioned on engaget (sp?)

NaCl(it would be nice not to hear "what's a Pentax?" so much)H2O

05-14-2009, 04:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It will be interresting to see how it is received when all the people that have got a chance to test it is allowed to write about it, but at least it appears to me that this rumor-marketing might be working, and that probably with very small marketting costs so far. Does anyone know of a case where something else been marketed this way before?
05-14-2009, 04:27 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

And a lot of the links have info that is just RH's rumours regurgitated in different forms...
05-14-2009, 04:29 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
It will be interresting to see how it is received when all the people that have got a chance to test it is allowed to write about it, but at least it appears to me that this rumor-marketing might be working, and that probably with very small marketting costs so far. Does anyone know of a case where something else been marketed this way before?
Canon used it to market the 5D Mk2 last year.

05-14-2009, 04:32 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
And a lot of the links have info that is just RH's rumours regurgitated in different forms...
Which I noted. But I don't think you can give RH the credit for getting Pentax this attention by himself. He have however made the most easilly accessible summary of what's been reported/discussed on the long forum threads and he has no NDA to respect, so they end up siting him since it is more convenient than to site a super-long forum thread or blogs in Chinese etc.
05-14-2009, 04:33 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenG Quote
Canon used it to market the 5D Mk2 last year.
Do you have some link with example?
05-14-2009, 04:37 AM   #10

no - the launch is over along time ago.
05-14-2009, 04:47 AM   #11

actually - the final campaign site is here :

EVOLUTION

they started in early september last year, with just the very top of the camera visible in the light - the rest of the camera was in darkness, like pentax are doing now.
every week or so the light would light up just a little bit more of the camera.. this went on for about a month and a half.. slowly revealing a little more of the camera each time...

the site got 1o0 of thousands of hits each week of people round the world checking back each day to see what new part was in the light..
05-14-2009, 04:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I watched the 5DII launch

There was no count down timer. They showed a bit of the new camera and every few days a bit more was shown illuminated by moonlite.

Then again, a replacement for 5D was anticipated for a couple years. 5D had a 40 month production run. After first 12 months many thought canon would make an improved version. So there was alot of pent up demand.

Pentax is creating buzz with new marketing approach. I look at countdown every day or so. I remain curious at what price it will launch. If it takes Pentax 3 or 4 months to make it available in all markets they'll do so with many people inside & outside of pentax watching.

While this is happening Canon 15mp HD dslr is launching this month instores for purchase at $799.

So I really wonder where Pentax will start this new K-7 at? If it takes Pentax 4 months to get it into marketplace the new Canon will likely be down another $100 to even $700. Canon HD Dslr for under $800 to start is really going to compete with Pentax' first HD Dslr. Especially if Pentax K7 is approaching 2x the cost.

Here's specs on $799 HD Dslr Canon:

Canon | EOS Rebel T1i Digital SLR Camera (Camera Body)

05-14-2009, 05:11 AM   #13
Pentaxian

It was said before: Pentax really needs to market the K-7 with water on the camera all over. They really should emphasize on this USP more. In the ads, all DSLR's more or less look the same. Even the K-7 won't stand out on its own. But add lots of water... Then the camera gets noticed.
05-14-2009, 05:31 AM   #14

Does anyone know of a case where something else been marketed this way before?
Blair Witch Project is probably the first example. It's been done several times before, hyping movies, video games, and other merchandise.
05-14-2009, 05:38 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
There was no count down timer. They showed a bit of the new camera and every few days a bit more was shown illuminated by moonlite.

Then again, a replacement for 5D was anticipated for a couple years. 5D had a 40 month production run. After first 12 months many thought canon would make an improved version. So there was alot of pent up demand.

Pentax is creating buzz with new marketing approach. I look at countdown every day or so. I remain curious at what price it will launch. If it takes Pentax 3 or 4 months to make it available in all markets they'll do so with many people inside & outside of pentax watching.

While this is happening Canon 15mp HD dslr is launching this month instores for purchase at $799.

So I really wonder where Pentax will start this new K-7 at? If it takes Pentax 4 months to get it into marketplace the new Canon will likely be down another $100 to even $700. Canon HD Dslr for under $800 to start is really going to compete with Pentax' first HD Dslr. Especially if Pentax K7 is approaching 2x the cost.

Here's specs on $799 HD Dslr Canon:

Canon | EOS Rebel T1i Digital SLR Camera (Camera Body)
I wonder what this will do to the price of the K20D. Assuming the K-7 is not a replacement of the K20D, and the price of the K-7 needs to be competitive with Canon, will the K20D be reduced? What will happen to the K-m/K2000 then?