Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2009, 06:34 AM   #16

and k-rumors.com! LOL

05-14-2009, 08:21 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps they are getting some of the wrong kind of attention. It looks like Sony is preparing to introduce 3 new DSLR cameras a couple of days before Pentax introduces the K7.
Sony Alpha 230, 330 and 380: dSLR leakski | Crave - CNET
The K7 introduction might just as easily end up being completely missed in the crowd.
05-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Does anyone know of a case where something else been marketed this way before?
I take it you've never heard of an iPod or iPhone.

This has been Apple's modus operandi since the mid '80s.

(of course they supplement it with conventional adverising)
05-14-2009, 08:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote

Right! As an old Apple fan-boy, I feel like I've stepped back in time here ... in a good way!

05-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote

thankfully pentax does not share the Apple's "pay more for less" moto
05-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
So I really wonder where Pentax will start this new K-7 at? If it takes Pentax 4 months to get it into marketplace the new Canon will likely be down another $100 to even $700. Canon HD Dslr for under $800 to start is really going to compete with Pentax' first HD Dslr. Especially if Pentax K7 is approaching 2x the cost.
Canon T1i/500D is NOT a direct competitor to K-7. Its use of pentamirror, smaller viewfinder, slower fps, slower shutter speed, slower x-sync, lack of top LCD, lack of weather sealing etc justifies its lower price. And any T1i/500D potential buyers would be horrified to find out that there are no scene modes in K-7...
05-14-2009, 10:35 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The MFL site has high Google ranking for pretty much any older, manual, film, etc search.

My blog almost hit 200 views yesterday alone...most referrals coming from here...either from the other thread in N&R about a K-7 summary or clicks from my sig. I got less than 10 from either search engines or MFL.

I really don't mean to toot my own horn I'm sorry if this sounds like I think highly of myself...I reallllllllly do not...if you click through, don't expect a lot

05-14-2009, 10:51 AM   #23

I wouldn't be so pessimistic. No disrespect to anyone with a K100D or K2000D, these Sony entry level bodies can't hold a candle to the mighty K-7.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Perhaps they are getting some of the wrong kind of attention. It looks like Sony is preparing to introduce 3 new DSLR cameras a couple of days before Pentax introduces the K7.
The K7 introduction might just as easily end up being completely missed in the crowd.
05-14-2009, 11:41 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Another link:

Electronista
05-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote

Pentax is creating buzz with new marketing approach. I look at countdown every day or so. I remain curious at what price it will launch. If it takes Pentax 3 or 4 months to make it available in all markets they'll do so with many people inside & outside of pentax watching.

While this is happening Canon 15mp HD dslr is launching this month instores for purchase at $799.

So I really wonder where Pentax will start this new K-7 at? If it takes Pentax 4 months to get it into marketplace the new Canon will likely be down another $100 to even $700. Canon HD Dslr for under $800 to start is really going to compete with Pentax' first HD Dslr. Especially if Pentax K7 is approaching 2x the cost.

Here's specs on $799 HD Dslr Canon:

Canon | EOS Rebel T1i Digital SLR Camera (Camera Body)

You're talking about a *Rebel.* I don't think the K-7 is really to be compared, there, regardless. I'm figuring that if they can release the K-7 for anywhere near what the K20d did, it'll be a coup considering currency changes. My assumption is it'll be placed between the 50d and D300 class for specs: kind of a sidestep from the K20d level with video and some performance improvements.

If I had to guess, I'd say, 1350-1400 at the start, considering the currency-related issues. At least if there's any directed notion of 'viral marketing' behind all this, I presume that the leaks would be pointing towards competing with an eight hundred dollar Rebel if tha was what they had in mind. I suppose it's also possible this is all just what people like us came up with on our own.
05-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
*peeking.* Not really sure, there. That 380 looks like the nightmare scenario of articulated LCDs: oh, great, the viewfinder's *recessed* behind where it folds. People gotta look through those things, once in a while, yaknow. By the look of that and the numbers, I'm guessing it's not really in the same class as the K7, not for photographers, anyway... the only thing that could interest me in a Sony at this point is that cool finder on the a900, and it looks like they've taken a major step *away* from puttig that in less-beastly models. Looks like it might handle nice, apart from that, though.

As 'viral marketing' goes, I think we're being experimented on.

(And I'm saying this as someone who figures if other companies make something nice, it's better for us all in the long run. Sony's already milked the articulated screen for its shop appeal, and it didn't really help. Call me naive, but I don't really think it's gonna hold people's attention *long,* even in the photo press, as suddenly-video-gung-ho as they are. I saw the a900 come out and was thinking, 'This behavior should be encouraged.' (Besides, how hard could it *possibly be* to cover a crop sensor with 100 percent finder coverage when they could cover most of full frame in the cheapest pentaprism cameras that were the same size or smaller? Anyway, it could be the K-7 that does the thunder-stealing, if it talks loud enough. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-14-2009 at 12:26 PM.
05-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #27
Forum Member

Being a videographer I can tell that due to it's expected video mode the K-7 gets a lot of attention outside still photography communities as well. If they did a good job on video mode, Pentax will be recognized by many people probably for the first time
05-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by karl79 Quote
Being a videographer I can tell that due to it's expected video mode the K-7 gets a lot of attention outside still photography communities as well. If they did a good job on video mode, Pentax will be recognized by many people probably for the first time

I'm still thinking it's like one of those marketed-as-obligatory whizbangs that don't really define a good tool. It's like when Nikon came out with the 2020, just to have AF, when that was new. If you wanted AF, there was a Maxuum 9000. If you wanted a Nikon, you didn't want an N2000 with lame AF.
05-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I'm still thinking it's like one of those marketed-as-obligatory whizbangs that don't really define a good tool. It's like when Nikon came out with the 2020, just to have AF, when that was new. If you wanted AF, there was a Maxuum 9000. If you wanted a Nikon, you didn't want an N2000 with lame AF.
Agreed. Here's hoping video on the K-7 is well implemented (manual controls, please!) and not just another tick on the current hot features checklist. If they put manual controls on it they've just leapfrogged Canon (and Nikon's?) DSLR video implementations.
05-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just want to know when I can buy one