Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2009, 08:58 AM   #31
Inactive Account

They have the technology, they should use it.

Using a MX or Super Program sized body as reference and keep all the features the MX has. Keep the OVF as is. Make the body about 3/4" taller for added grip and a horizontally mounted lithium battery. Keep all the control dials where they are and interface them with the digital guts. Add a 2.5" 460,000px LCD and a digital sensor (APS-C or FF I don't care), kelvin WB. Trash live view and video.

05-14-2009, 09:04 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my MXes, too. However, Liveview is very useful if you do any work where you may need a detached viewpoint, e.g., ground-level macro, astrophotography. I think rather than scrap Liveview entirely, Pentax/Hoya should ensure that there is an HDMI output or some such so that the screen can be captured by some type of add-on device and thus viewed separately from the viewfinder. The trick as you state is to keep everything that was good with legacy Pentax and marry it to the digital capabilities.

Jack
05-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by txsbluesguy Quote
what are you doing when your looking through the view finder?? you're watching time and pick the single moment to press the shutter to capture an image in time ....
Composition is vastly different for still and video. What looks great as a still image is entirely boring as video, and vice versa. You are simply using a common medium to achieve two entirely different goals.
05-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #34

DP

a director of photography also know as a DP is the person responsible for capturing the images in a movie from a web site here is a list of some of the qualifications of a DP

"A cinematographer is also known as the director of photography or DP for short. They are the head of the camera department and it is their job to capture the photographic impression of the directors' vision. Although the director determines the action and blocking of a given scene, it is the DP who looks through the camera to catch the moment on film. The director gives his/her vision of a particular shot to the DP who then translates that into how the camera will capture it.""The DP receives a "shot-list" from the director and then analyzes how each scene will be lit, which camera filters and lenses to use, as well as the position of the camera."

"To be a truly memorable cinematographer, there are a few skill sets you will want to master:

* Your Eye: Before the camera captures a shot, you will need to fully envision it in your own mind first. This is one skill you need to develop now."

"Lighting: Study lighting. In every day life look around you and see how light works to set a mood. You have to understand how to work with lighting to get the most out of your shots."

Technology: Stay up on the latest photographic technology.

I don't see how this is any different than a still photographer

watch "masters of light" and tell me what they talk about is vastly different than what a stills photographer does

saying the crafts are unrelated is l like saying don't study the works of the masters because they worked in oils and we work in silver process or digital so its not related

Strobist: Beers With: Rembrandt

the above was taken from about .com

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
I have no idea what you're talking about.

05-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #35

picking a still

what are you doing when your looking through the view finder?? you're watching time and pick the single moment to press the shutter to capture an image in time ....

and i don't think very many people are going to just let the camera run and pick the one image ...... your right there is no craft in that .... except the guys who want 10FPS like the sports shooter ....

Me, for one. Picking a still shot out of live video is *not* photography. You've just thrown away 150 years worth of craft.
05-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #36

????

so a photographer is only a photographer if he uses a strobe or flash ??!?!?

QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
Sure, if you're using hot lights or ambient. When I'm looking through the view finder, I'm framing a shot which I then immediately change into something different via flashes...
05-14-2009, 09:09 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I know what a DP is - you put it in quotes, so I assumed it was the title of a movie or something. Anyway, I think DP is a misnomer - it really should be Director of Cinematography, IMO.

I will concede that the two fields are more related than I implied. However, I still believe they require separate and distinct tools.

05-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #38
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
saying the crafts are unrelated is l like saying don't study the works of the masters because they worked in oils and we work in silver process or digital so its not related

Strobist: Beers With: Rembrandt

txblueguy.

You sound as if you were or are in the film business, as I was for many years. Yes, Photography, cinematography all carry the same basic requisites for a good shot .... and you named them.

wll
05-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #39

so a photographer is only a photographer if he uses a strobe or flash ??!?!?
No, of course not. But there's a lot more to taking a picture than looking through a viewfinder and watching life unfold.
05-14-2009, 09:17 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Plus your still camera is carrying the additional cost of lots of technology licensing on the video side. Without this, the K7 would likely be a couple of hundred dollars less.
I'm almost certain video doesn't cost more than 10$. How do I know that? You can get a P&S for less than 100$ that includes video... Actually it would probably cost more money to do another model without video because it would sell in less numbers.

But anyway in one or two years you probably won't find a new DSLR without Liveview and Video. It's an evolution nobody will be able to stop so it doesn't matter if you like it or not.
05-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Here, here. I agree wholeheartedly.

Fix it in photoshop - will now morph into - Pull a frame out of the video.

Me, for one. Picking a still shot out of live video is *not* photography. You've just thrown away 150 years worth of craft.
05-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
talking about photography as choosing a still from a "video" footage makes me also speachless. either it is a joke, or somebody doesn't realize what they are saying. photography is only 1% choosing the moment (even for HCB), there is so much more to it than that: composition, light, perspective, dof, the list goes on. regardless of quality (which is not to be ignored, but can be argued it will get better with technology advances), picking still frames from video footage is simply not an option (or at least it is not still photography), because of technical reasons (think of shutter speed for instance... now think again ), and because video is not shot as photo is, it's just different. here is a real-world, practical example: do you know that mos serious productions of movies use real actual still photographers for still shots, and they pay them with money, too? why do they do that, it's absurd, as they have a shitload of excellent frames, shot in cinematographic film, to choose from? they do it because they want stills, and want a still photographer to do still photography for the purpose of displaying still photographs (posters and such), not moving photography.

talking about picking a frame from a video shoot is completely missing the point imho, except maybe to some of those pro "machine gun" sports shooters (though you might be surprised about what their reaction would be, i have a hunch).

no offence
05-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I'm almost certain video doesn't cost more than 10$. How do I know that? You can get a P&S for less than 100$ that includes video...
Actually, on a P&S, video is (nearly) free. The shutterless/mirrorless design makes video a simple firmware exercise. This tells us nothing about the cost of adding video to a DSLR.

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
But anyway in one or two years you probably won't find a new DSLR without Liveview and Video. It's an evolution nobody will be able to stop so it doesn't matter if you like it or not.
So, we should all sit quietly and take what's given to us? Product evolution would be quite different if we did that.
05-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Will these DSLR/Video cameras be viewed in ten years as El Caminos? The car front with a pickup truck back? Trying to do more than one thing and not being able to be very good at both?

Yes, it is an evolution, however, it does not mean everything needs to evolve and follow that line. I hope that traditional cameras are still being made in ten years and that the DSLR/Vido camera represent a branch, moving forward along with traditional cameras.

Hey they still make digital point and shoots that accept AA batteries, they even make a DSLR that accepts AA batteries. Lithium Ion is great, it has branched off from AA type batteries.
05-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
video in dslr's, on the other hand, is an interesting development. i agree, i will be very pissed, and sad, if this will mean a "defocus" from the still photography purpose, a dillution of the purposefulness of the machinery, but i have a hunch pentax is not (yet) in danger of doing such a mistake. however, the possibilities with a dslr (as mentioned, shallow dof, manual controls, better quality (dinamic range, low light capabilities, and so on) might be great for some, sure it cannot replace dedicated video cameras (at least not yet), but that's not the point. imho, it's a new medium, and i think many videographers are just waiting to jump on it (do a quick google search, you will see there's quite a buzz about the new panasonic micro 4/3, for instance).