Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #106

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
If they were really waiting for this as you say, they would have jumped on the D90 or 5D long ago. I have as much right to voice my preferences as you or anyone else. You're basically telling me to shut up so you can have your way.
Nonsense. I was looking forward to this day long before it was technically possible, and once it happened didn't jump to the D90 or 5D because I prefer Pentax and knew that Pentax would follow suit.

You've certainly every right to voice your preference: nothing I posted suggests otherwise. I'm simply pointing out that the manner in which you're doing so is unseemly and the petulant tone distracts from the virtues of your argument. I acknowledge the virtues of your argument, but don't find it very compelling one.

If you're correct and the K-7 is an "incremental upgrade", well, what's the common refrain around here: "Your camera isn't going to quit working the day the new model is released." If the K-7 sells like hot cakes, I can only imagine that'll be to the benefit of the ecosystem, which should please traditionalists hanging on to their K20s. And the companies will continue to compete, and that'll mean pushing the boundaries of the quality of still photography (among other things). The marginal costs in terms of embedded technology, research, and opportunity costs will be offset by positive spillovers even if the Pentax doesn't grab a larger slice of the market and come out with ever more and better lens.

None of that's new to you, and I'm sure none of it's going to swing your opinion, but to win the argument you need to offer more than purity of purpose, a marginal price bump, and derision for Jacks of All Trades, like myself, who'll never be masters of the pure art and don't aspire to be, but will buy this baby.

05-15-2009, 10:43 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NunoBarbosa Quote
You are alright...but you can shoot like a pro with a k2000d...
Itīs your work that make you a pro, not your gear.
I'm fully aware of that. Until we went HD, I'd been using a Sony VX-2000 to shoot b-roll for quite some time. It was great for what it was, but it didn't take the place of a professional camera.
05-15-2009, 10:52 AM   #108

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I'm fully aware of that. Until we went HD, I'd been using a Sony VX-2000 to shoot b-roll for quite some time. It was great for what it was, but it didn't take the place of a professional camera.
I think in a near future the dedicated video cameras are coming with better and bigger sensors (aps-c or micro 4/3 at least) , but for now, many people will make good stuff with this upcoming k-7...i have a good feeling about the quality of it.
The k20d burst mode clips actualy look pretty good...so...20th never comes...
05-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
No argument that video shooters could benefit from DSLR technology. So why haven't they put bigger sensors in video cameras? Or interchangeable lenses? They have - it's called professional level equipment. So why is it OK to dilute professional level still cameras with video, but not the other way around? Yes, I know some video cameras can shoot stills - but the pros still hire still photographers to shoot stills because the still-from-video quality is not good enough.
Nail, please let me introduce you to the head of my hammer.

Professional videographers also hire still photographers for shoots because the perspective, angle, etc. that works beautifully on a moving image doesn't necessarily work as a companion still shot of the same scene.

My opinion, all that really matters to me, is that multi-function consumer level cameras are fine. But shoehorning real AV onto a professional level DSLR is like putting 4WD on a Ferarri so you can mudbog with it.

05-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NunoBarbosa Quote
I think in a near future the dedicated video cameras are coming with better and bigger sensors (aps-c or micro 4/3 at least) , but for now, many people will make good stuff with this upcoming k-7...i have a good feeling about the quality of it.
The k20d burst mode clips actualy look pretty good...so...20th never comes...

Oh, I definitely agree with you on that. I guess I'm just arguing that there will still be dedicated video and still cameras. I don't see all video users adopting DSLR's just because they can now do video, any more than I see still photographers adopting video cameras because they're finally able to give decent stills.
05-15-2009, 11:14 AM   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
But shoehorning real AV onto a professional level DSLR is like putting 4WD on a Ferarri so you can mudbog with it.
Good lord! Bite your tongue! Don't give Okies any ideas. LOL
05-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #112

My opinion, all that really matters to me, is that multi-function consumer level cameras are fine. But shoehorning real AV onto a professional level DSLR is like putting 4WD on a Ferarri so you can mudbog with it.
Or turning a Hummer into a street vehicle, or an SUV into the soccer mom's get-around-town mobile? Who's going to buy that?

Oh wait...
05-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jaboney Quote
Or turning a Hummer into a street vehicle, or an SUV into the soccer mom's get-around-town mobile? Who's going to buy that?

Oh wait...
Correct - sheep.

05-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #114
Veteran Member

FWIW - here's my camcorder. It's no where near new tech, but sized the same. A current model with HD and either HDD or MiniDV would run me between $700 and $800. About the same size and price as a good* zoom lens.

Last edited by Venturi; 05-07-2011 at 11:08 PM.
05-15-2009, 11:33 AM   #115

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Oh, I definitely agree with you on that. I guess I'm just arguing that there will still be dedicated video and still cameras. I don't see all video users adopting DSLR's just because they can now do video, any more than I see still photographers adopting video cameras because they're finally able to give decent stills.
I agree with you, that should be diferent devices for diferent professionals...
but for now, only RED meet my requirements, but it's to expensive.
The 35mm adapters are really fuzzy sometimes, and loss light.
For now the DSLR is a good tool for me.

I donīt believe that any photographer will use a video camera as a still camera,
for serious photography, the quality per frame is much worse. But again...a good picture is not a good quality image, just look at the best pictures of the XX century.
05-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #116
Veteran Member

Nail, please let me introduce you to the head of my hammer.

Professional videographers also hire still photographers for shoots because the perspective, angle, etc. that works beautifully on a moving image doesn't necessarily work as a companion still shot of the same scene.

funny enough, your comparison is unhappy, but there is truth in it (so it makes it twofold unhappy ) ): some of the fastest cars on the planet today, _road_ cars, that is, cars you can really use in the real world, not only on the track, _are_ all wheel drive, the misconception that awd is only for all terrain is common. see impreza wrx sti, mitsubishi evo lancer (even some lamborghini are awd, and, iirc, the landmark bugatti veyron is too).

so maybe, just maybe, the fact that we have only seen awd in landrovers untill recently doesnt mean that awd is worthless for fast road cars (maybe one can make good use of this hd movie feature on a dslr); all i am saying is, i wouldn't beat on it too much before i have it in my hands. who knows, maybe i'll even like it
05-15-2009, 01:36 PM   #117
Pentaxian

Nikon D90 review Cameralabs features: Movie Mode

According to this review, video in dslr is nowhere near a dedicated HD Video cam and still has a loooong way to go

I could purchase a K20D along with a good semi-pro Canon/Sony HD Cam (and still save money) for less than a Canon 5D mK11.

Dyl
05-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #118
Veteran Member

"we" don't care about the d90 (seriously, from what i could tell, it was a disapointment from several pints of view, i thought higher of nikon; never used one, so i might be wrong), k-7 is coming, and it will show everybody how it's supposed to be done :-P
05-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #119
Veteran Member

I joined even thou I dont have a 5D... soon we will have a K-7 group

http://www.vimeo.com/groups/5dmk2

And also I saw an NYU film students shooting a film today on the street with the 5D.

bottom line if you dont need it you dont need it but many of us do need it .

and the video does not make the 5DMKII less good full frame camera

Last edited by redpigeons; 05-15-2009 at 03:06 PM.
05-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #120
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
Nikon D90 review Cameralabs features: Movie Mode

According to this review, video in dslr is nowhere near a dedicated HD Video cam and still has a loooong way to go

I could purchase a K20D along with a good semi-pro Canon/Sony HD Cam (and still save money) for less than a Canon 5D mK11.

Dyl
Vincent Laforet said on his blog you would have to pay $100,000 for a pro video camera to get the same quality video he got out of the Canon 5D Mark II.

Canon Digital Learning Center - Sample EOS 5D Mark II Video: Reverie