Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2009, 04:11 PM   #121
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NunoBarbosa Quote
A new wave of independent film makers are emerging because of movie mode in DSLR world. I know many many many people who bought the 5d only for movie mode...and i must say it is really bad implemented. But the quality is simple stunning. There are films and TV being filmed with it, even with the limitations.

"if you want video buy a video camera..."
well...i buy a SLR when i was a kid because i donīt like the image of point and shoot, the same way i donīt like the video from a video camera. I like the video from a camera with interchageble lenses, with big sensor to get thin dof. For that i was using a 35mm adapter with my videocamera, to use my pentax lenses attached in a video camera, but the process is very complicated and have limitations.
I donīt buy a 5d because i am a pentax fan and have many lenses...so that k-7 is my oportunity For the ones purists...why do you use SLR instead of super zoom or point and shoot....My argument is the same as yours...lens, sensor, dof...quality....
So why dont Canon make a video camera with a large sensor that takes DSLR lenses?

05-15-2009, 04:48 PM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
So why dont Canon make a video camera with a large sensor that takes DSLR lenses?
That would be a RED One camera competitor. RED has deep pockets. Don't know if I would enter that competition. But it certainly would eat from RED's current margins
05-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
That would be a RED One camera competitor. RED has deep pockets. Don't know if I would enter that competition. But it certainly would eat from RED's current margins
only red can shoot 60fps 4K resolution. that's twice the resolution of movie screens.

and the 5D is "only" HD for now.

I am so happy about Pentax getting into the HD mode!!!.
05-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #124

RED has deeper pockets than Canon? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's very much the other way around.

I think the reason Canon don't do a RED-type camera is that they were comfortable milking the market with their existing products. RED was a newcomer and had to do something phenomenal to shake up the market, and they have.

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
only red can shoot 60fps 4K resolution. that's twice the resolution of movie screens.
Twice the resolution of TV screens. Movie screens are infinite resolution because they're analog

I'm not crazy about the digital video trend. I hope that not many are going digital only at this point. Display technology will continue to improve and at some point 2K that is in common use will look low res. In 30 years I don't want to watch an old movie shot in 2K in the early 21st century and notice every pixel because of how much lower res it was shot in than modern display tech. 4K might be ok--haven't really researched how it compares to resolving power of film.

05-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
Is it the same "red" as in your avatar name?
05-15-2009, 05:46 PM   #126
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
Twice the resolution of TV screens. Movie screens are infinite resolution because they're analog
Technically, you are correct.

But if you aren't very poor so that you have to watch movie in front row, then your eye's aren't biologically capable to resolve anything beyond 2k.
05-15-2009, 05:49 PM   #127
Veteran Member

Technically, you are correct.

But if you aren't very poor so that you have to watch movie in front row, then your eye's aren't biologically capable to resolve anything beyond 2k.
digital projection form wikipedia.

Digital cinema - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2K is the resolution that feature films are made in. I guess BC this is the resolution of the movie projectors
05-15-2009, 05:54 PM   #128
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
RED has deeper pockets than Canon? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's very much the other way around.
Jim Jannard can spend more than 1bn $ (he earned at least this much money with his prior companies and RED just is his hobby, albeit profitable, I guess).

Canon is larger as a corporation (makes as much profit in a year as Jim Jannard did in his life), but split this into video, high-end market and the operation won't have a lot of money to spend ...

05-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #129
Veteran Member

I don't know how accurate this rumor is, but a friend of mine, supposedly a Pentax "in the know" insider, has told me that the K7 is going to include a can opener, multi-funtional swiss knife, & a shoehorn. I don't know about you, but I'm tired of carrying around a separate shoehorn with me all the time.
05-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #130
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
I don't know how accurate this rumor is, but a friend of mine, supposedly a Pentax "in the know" insider, has told me that the K7 is going to include a can opener, multi-funtional swiss knife, & a shoehorn.
It is interesting that Pentax choose to ommitt these features from the press text. It must mean something
05-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
I don't know how accurate this rumor is, but a friend of mine, supposedly a Pentax "in the know" insider, has told me that the K7 is going to include a can opener, multi-funtional swiss knife, & a shoehorn. I don't know about you, but I'm tired of carrying around a separate shoehorn with me all the time.
The shoehorn was cancelled. They needed to keep it for obvious reasons.
05-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #132
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Just like All-in-One printers.... they do it all OK but don't do any one thing very well. Frankly, the more crap they put in my still camera to make it do other things, the less I like it. I want a still camera to take still photos. If I want movies I will buy a camcorder or movie camera. If I want a coffee maker or phone I will buy one. This stuff just takes up room in the body that could be used to further improve the still photography experience, like improved or larger sensors, GPS, working live-view, etc.

Mike
*buys Mike a virtual beer*

Amen, brother.

Convergence is convenient. But not necessarily good. As the old saying goes, "jack of all trades, master of none."

Plus, there're many other reasons. I, for example, don't want to pay for an obviously costly (whether "real" or "imagined" costly - "This HD thing is new, so, thankfully, the consumer has no frame of reference to figure out how much it's actually worth") I'll never use.

And you do pay for it. I often wondered how much cheaper my mobile phone would've been if it didn't have that crappy 640x480 camera in it, or the MP3 capability.

But convenience is what it's all about, right? MP3, camera, and phone all in one?

What about redundancy? If one of those things breaks...they all break. Maybe you drain the batteries listen to music, or you're taking a photo on the street and a bystander takes violent exception to you, and you're phone is crushed under said bystander's heel. You can't even call the cops.

No, I don't want video. I'm a stills photographer. Besides, I can't imagine how much strain on the sensor there'd be when shooting HD.

Sadly, though - the majority of people out there are stupid, and they're generally the ones with willingness to dispose of their incomes.
05-16-2009, 03:39 AM   #133

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
You are right, canon is planning do do it. They learned that theres a lot of people interested in 5d mii only for the movie mode, and transpose it for a real video camera without limitations. But it will cost almost of a RED ONE i think. For now the 5dmii is unbeatable in terms of IQ in movie mode, even RED cry in low light compared to it. Let's see what is in Pentax sleeve.
05-16-2009, 06:54 AM   #134
Forum Member

Yes, Canon video department is developing a "DSLR-Camcorder" for 2010 for around 10.000 $ with APS-C CMOS Sensor and they're working on a 12 bit RAW format

But 10.000 $ is a lot and video mode as part of the new DSLR generations is a dream for videographers like myself, as Pentax and Nikon are likely to have a real interest in improving it while at the same time prices will be affordable.

I don't think they'll forget that their cameras in first place are stills cams though.

Great times

Last edited by karl79; 05-16-2009 at 07:12 AM.
05-16-2009, 10:57 AM   #135
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Convergence is convenient. But not necessarily good. As the old saying goes, "jack of all trades, master of none.
You forgot the rest of the saying:

"Jack of all trades, master of none, though ofttimes better than a master of one."

I think that describes the new video DSLRS a lot better