Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2009, 08:04 AM   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FYI-on paying for camera features that I do not use: I understand that some folks may object to paying for video capabilities that they may not use. Personally, I could do away with built-in flash, auto-focus, program modes, JPEG, and a host of other things that come in today's cameras.

05-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
30 years ago, did SuperA users whine because their camera was built for Winder/Motor support and they did not want to pay for a feature thay wouldn't use?

That's a real question, seriously.
05-15-2009, 08:22 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
30 years ago, did SuperA users whine because their camera was built for Winder/Motor support and they did not want to pay for a feature thay wouldn't use?

That's one of the reasons I bought a K1000 instead.

That's a real answer, seriously.
05-15-2009, 08:32 AM   #94
Pentaxian

To add to Oregon Jim's answer: Yes, we did.

05-15-2009, 08:35 AM   #95
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
FYI-on paying for camera features that I do not use: I understand that some folks may object to paying for video capabilities that they may not use. Personally, I could do away with built-in flash, auto-focus, program modes, JPEG, and a host of other things that come in today's cameras.
Good point. It's arguable, though, that video is more likely to introduce compromises in the image path than any of those other features. Some of those compromises may be beneficial to a still shooter, others not. I'd rather not see the interface cluttered with yet more dials, buttons, and menus, and have to power more battery-sucking electronics that I don't want.

I have a feeling that many DSLR users will be tempted to move into medium format simply because DSLRs are becoming too much like P&S commodity cameras.

Last edited by OregonJim; 05-15-2009 at 08:41 AM.
05-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #96

A new wave of independent film makers are emerging because of movie mode in DSLR world. I know many many many people who bought the 5d only for movie mode...and i must say it is really bad implemented. But the quality is simple stunning. There are films and TV being filmed with it, even with the limitations.

"if you want video buy a video camera..."
well...i buy a SLR when i was a kid because i donīt like the image of point and shoot, the same way i donīt like the video from a video camera. I like the video from a camera with interchageble lenses, with big sensor to get thin dof. For that i was using a 35mm adapter with my videocamera, to use my pentax lenses attached in a video camera, but the process is very complicated and have limitations.
I donīt buy a 5d because i am a pentax fan and have many lenses...so that k-7 is my oportunity For the ones purists...why do you use SLR instead of super zoom or point and shoot....My argument is the same as yours...lens, sensor, dof...quality....
05-15-2009, 08:54 AM   #97
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
That's one of the reasons I bought a K1000 instead.

That's a real answer, seriously.
To add to Oregon Jim's answer: Yes, we did.
Thank you for your input. I wasn't there 30 years ago

05-15-2009, 08:59 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NunoBarbosa Quote
For the ones purists...why do you use SLR instead of super zoom or point and shoot....My argument is the same as yours...lens, sensor, dof...quality....
No argument that video shooters could benefit from DSLR technology. So why haven't they put bigger sensors in video cameras? Or interchangeable lenses? They have - it's called professional level equipment. So why is it OK to dilute professional level still cameras with video, but not the other way around? Yes, I know some video cameras can shoot stills - but the pros still hire still photographers to shoot stills because the still-from-video quality is not good enough.
05-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #99
Inactive Account

Thank you for your input. I wasn't there 30 years ago
When the Super Program/A came out I was about 13. There was no internet to whine on, a good thing. People went outside and took photos with what they had. MTF charts didn't dictate a thing, people's talents did, whether they were amateur or pro.

Saying that, if you want to compare a non-intrusive winder grommet of the bottom of a camera to adding clutter to a digital menu structure and a couple of exterior buttons, I'd take the winder grommet any day.
05-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #100
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A new wave of independent film makers are emerging because of movie mode in DSLR world. I know many many many people who bought the 5d only for movie mode...and i must say it is really bad implemented. But the quality is simple stunning. There are films and TV being filmed with it, even with the limitations.

"if you want video buy a video camera..."
well...i buy a SLR when i was a kid because i donīt like the image of point and shoot, the same way i donīt like the video from a video camera. I like the video from a camera with interchageble lenses, with big sensor to get thin dof. For that i was using a 35mm adapter with my videocamera, to use my pentax lenses attached in a video camera, but the process is very complicated and have limitations.
I donīt buy a 5d because i am a pentax fan and have many lenses...so that k-7 is my oportunity For the ones purists...why do you use SLR instead of super zoom or point and shoot....My argument is the same as yours...lens, sensor, dof...quality....
May be quite a revolution in incorporating good quality moving images with stills, though I'm sceptical that a 'hybrid' dSLR+movie cam could compare with a dedicated good quality movie cam.

This will be first-gen, and I'm sure the tech will improve with time (pretty quickly I'll guess), but movie cam tech is another world.

I mean have you seen how advanced and how expensive they can get?
05-15-2009, 09:18 AM   #101

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
May be quite a revolution in incorporating good quality moving images with stills, though I'm sceptical that a 'hybrid' dSLR+movie cam could compare with a dedicated good quality movie cam.

This will be first-gen, and I'm sure the tech will improve with time (pretty quickly I'll guess), but movie cam tech is another world.

I mean have you seen how advanced and how expensive they can get?
Yes, it's true, that new cameras can compete with dedicated video cameras...because the brands donīt want that:
5d mark ii : excelent image quality, unbeliveable low light...but no manual controls.
They do it on purpose, to not castrate their own video camera market.
Just compare a frame of the 5d with canon XL H1...

Panasonic: GH1: It has everything to be a brutal video camera...but the compression is...very very very bad...

Pentax donīt have nothing to loose...if they put a good IQ like 5d mark ii, with every manual controls like GH1, they create a super motion and still camera, like RED is doing at a much higher price. And believe me...there's a lot of people out there that donīt mind to shoot independent movies with a camera meant for photography for a very low price.
05-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #102
Pentaxian

A HUGE part of good video is having good audio. Granted, a person could use a DSLR to shoot the HD video and record the audio separately, but when you reach the point that video becomes a multi-person operation, the convenience of having integrated still/video in one camera gets negated.
05-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #103

A HUGE part of good video is having good audio. Granted, a person could use a DSLR to shoot the HD video and record the audio separately, but when you reach the point that video becomes a multi-person operation, the convenience of having integrated still/video in one camera gets negated.
It has mic imput...like video cameras...pentax is thinking good.
I shoot some short filmes, the sound guy mistures the sound and give it to my camera mic imput. Much of the time the sound is recorded by other person in other device.

I don't even use the sound captured from the camera in my job, only in my family movies. For live shooting, news, etc, the existing cameras are perfect. I'm talking about a new market: promotionals, advertising, music videos, short films, lowbudget films.

i already shot an entire 7 episode serie with a pentax still camera...do you want to know how? visit Webisódio #6 - Vinganįa - Sapo Vdeos
all the scenarios are shot with a pentax k100d, hope you like it!!
05-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #104
Pentaxian

It has mic imput...like video cameras.
Not XLR input. Everything else is seen as semi-pro at best.
05-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #105

Not XLR input. Everything else is seen as semi-pro at best.
You are alright...but you can shoot like a pro with a k2000d...
Itīs your work that make you a pro, not your gear.