What is "live view EVF"?

And what is "EVIL"?
evf=electronic viewfinder

evil=electronic viewfinder with interchangeable lens

EVIL camera: Not Actually Evil | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

05-15-2009, 06:33 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HawaiianOnline Quote
It might be either a optical viewfinder with an electronic display superimposed on the viewscreen (like the heads up display on fighters), or it might be an optical viewfinder with the ability to switch to a live-view overlay in the viewfinder. If it's the latter, then it solves the problem of the lcd washing out in bright light. Either option would be very interesting.
This is kind of what I was thinking too (the former, at least). For example, you could superimpose blown highlights or muddy lows (or a full histogram) onto the viewfinder image in real time. That would be incredibly cool.
05-15-2009, 06:36 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
They patented this roughly 1.5 yrs ago, so it's highly probable...
I have patented a few systems in the last 5 years... none have made it to production (yet...)

Just to say that a very low percentage of patents actually make it to real products...
05-15-2009, 07:31 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
I have patented a few systems in the last 5 years... none have made it to production (yet...)

Just to say that a very low percentage of patents actually make it to real products...
Sometimes, ideas get patented just to protect them from being patented by others. The idea itself may never be developed, or it may be sold to someone who does want to use it.

Rob

05-15-2009, 08:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by danny09 Quote
...instead of that a swivel LCD (even if small 2.5") would have been a killer feature compared to this rumored LV in an OVF!!
My $0.02
The new Nikon D5000 features that swivel screen. On their commercials, they tote 4 things about it.

1. Video
2. Throw in a sentence about image quality something or other
3. Swivel screen
4. "It's a Nikon"...whatever that means.

Which leads to:
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenG Quote
i doubt too many people will run off and start buying the K-7 just because of what they can see thru the viewfinder.....

at the end of the day, its IQ that really matters.
Features do sell cameras (although...more with lower models IMO).

Someone who doesn't know anything walks into a photo store..."So what makes that one different than this one here?" or "What makes this one special?"

As for this rumor coming true: I'd rather they take their time and get video and LV right...100%...then move to something crazy like this. They hold the patent...who's going to swoop in and take the idea? Short of a full EVF, they'd be treading a fine line with an OVF/EVF hybrid of any kind...

Tangent time: Canon and Nikon are duking it out with the T1i and D5000. Save the Nikon D90 it seems they both have products competing directly with the other brand. We can see that Pentax is doing its own thing by releasing a higher model with video. I will bet we'll see video on the upgraded K2000 the next time it comes around for a freshening.
05-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #21
jeffkpotter

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Tangent time: Canon and Nikon are duking it out with the T1i and D5000. Save the Nikon D90 it seems they both have products competing directly with the other brand. We can see that Pentax is doing its own thing by releasing a higher model with video. I will bet we'll see video on the upgraded K2000 the next time it comes around for a freshening.
Interesting observations.
Canon and Nikon are putting their higher resolution sensors in smaller, more reasonably priced bodies. That seems to be the general trend. (The T1i will basically have the same sensor as the 50D from what I've read.) Generally speaking Pentax is doing the same thing, however the feature set, and whatever elegant improvements they have made will put the K-7 in it's own class. I hope it has a completely new sensor. Soon we will know.
05-15-2009, 09:13 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
and no one would see you chimp.....
Wasn't this a rumor some time ago? A guy using something that looked somewhat similar to a Pentax, just looking through the viewfinder, while his companions (using a D3, if I remember right) looked at the screen all the time.

Promising connection between rumors, at least.

05-15-2009, 09:26 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkpotter Quote
Interesting observations.
Canon and Nikon are putting their higher resolution sensors in smaller, more reasonably priced bodies. That seems to be the general trend. (The T1i will basically have the same sensor as the 50D from what I've read.) Generally speaking Pentax is doing the same thing, however the feature set, and whatever elegant improvements they have made will put the K-7 in it's own class. I hope it has a completely new sensor. Soon we will know.
From all I've read, it will be an improved 14.6MP Samsung from the K20 (not like that's a bad thing! ).

I bet we'll be seeing it in the next K2000 as well, since the K2000 "needs" video to have a similar feature set to "compare" with the 2 new Canon and Nikon models.
05-15-2009, 03:02 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote

At least three late patents are deployed on the K-7.
05-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Sometimes, ideas get patented just to protect them from being patented by others. The idea itself may never be developed, or it may be sold to someone who does want to use it.

Rob
That has happened with Pentax. They had developed and patented in lens ImageStabilization. Later they sold it to a competitor, don't know which one. Now you see SR inbody stabilization patents are current with all Pentax bodies. And more to come May, 20th
05-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
At least three late patents are deployed on the K-7.
How do you know?
05-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KjetilH Quote
Wasn't this a rumor some time ago? A guy using something that looked somewhat similar to a Pentax, just looking through the viewfinder, while his companions (using a D3, if I remember right) looked at the screen all the time.

Promising connection between rumors, at least.
Here is a link to the rumor.

It was prior to the release of the K20D. I have no idea how long it takes to develope a camera, but would 2 years be resonable?

I find Ben's response interesting.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/16635-not-rumour-new-p...h-like-d3.html
05-15-2009, 06:34 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
It will certainly be fun to see this thread bumped back again to front page, into the middle of K-7 threads

EDIT ...
Oh, roentarre closed that thread. Good Mod
05-15-2009, 08:47 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote

It was prior to the release of the K20D. I have no idea how long it takes to develope a camera, but would 2 years be resonable?
Any whole camera that's 2 years in development would probably be obsolete by the time it's done. But that doesn't mean specific components couldn't have been tested earlier. Possibly some magic viewfinder technology was on some early K20D prototype but they decided they had to pull it.
05-15-2009, 10:55 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
It will certainly be fun to see this thread bumped back again to front page, into the middle of K-7 threads

EDIT ...
Oh, roentarre closed that thread. Good Mod
it really bugs you when people don't follow "the rules", dosen't it.