Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 04:38 AM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I had this in the "excited VF explained" thread, but think I'll post it here. More down to earth discussion

Also, I attach the drawing here again, taken from the other thread mentioned above.

So, I have a question, too.

Is the VF LED status line a mini board sitting at one side of the focussing ground plate? And if so, why isn't is part of the drawing? Same goes for AF overlay points.

As long as we don't see (in the schema drawing) how the VF LED status display and the AF overlay points are implemented, the drawing may just mean that we see the K-7 implementation of a plain optical VF like the one in the K20D.

From what I've read here, the patent mentioned by RuiC would require more than a plain focussing ground plate. But there is nothing else in this drawing.

So, for the time being, I consider the evidences for an electronic viewfinder overlay in the K-7 to be non conclusive.
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Isn't the small but long blue rectangle (almost completely hidden below the prism, to the right of the ground glass screen) the VF LED status you are referring to?
I have seen another Design Patent where an LCD out of the optical path, would project operation information on the viewfinder. It must be this one, I don't recall the link now. Will research later today.

05-19-2009, 05:19 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cateto Quote
The Authority spoke, so please stop discussions.
I know, my post was kind of arrogant. I apologize for that.
On the other hand, I really wanted to counteract a little bit the EVF rumor which started to become overwhelming and enthusiastic.
05-19-2009, 05:23 AM   #123

Original Poster
Never mind, I posted jokingly: no big deal.

Back on the EVF history, tomorrow we will confirm or deny, definitely. But still there are hints; for instance, that picture posted in the Chinese blog, where in one of the menus you can see "Superimpose AF area", where it that superimposition being done? On the LCD screen or on the viewfinder? Can anybody give further info on this feature?
05-19-2009, 05:28 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Isn't the small but long blue rectangle (almost completely hidden below the prism, to the right of the ground glass screen) the VF LED status you are referring to?
no, i'm pretty sure that's the focusing screen. note the small tab used to move it.

05-19-2009, 05:29 AM   #125
Veteran Member

Back on the EVF history, tomorrow we will confirm or deny, definitely. But still there are hints; for instance, that picture posted in the Chinese blog, where in one of the menus you can see "Superimpose AF area", where it that superimposition being done? On the LCD screen or on the viewfinder? Can anybody give further info on this feature?
I think all Pentax cameras have this option and it is the option to display the AF point in the VF.
05-19-2009, 05:31 AM   #126
Veteran Member

Superimpose AF Area is just the lighting up in Red of the AF point, the K10/20 have it now.

the clue you may be thinking of was the "Movie Info Overlay" option which the poster said did nothing at this stage of the firmware.
05-19-2009, 05:32 AM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
no, i'm pretty sure that's the focusing screen. note the small tab used to move it.
OK, change "focusing screen" in "ground glass screen" and everything becomes clear to you?

05-19-2009, 05:32 AM   #128
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
What you mean is the focusing screen. But what Asahiflex meant is the very narrow hard to identify object just behind to the right in the image. I missed it as well. Well spotted, Asahiflex!

And as blende8 is asking below, yes, we are here talking about the viewfinder status bar.

Last edited by falconeye; 05-19-2009 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Asahiflex spotted it :)
05-19-2009, 05:37 AM   #129
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is it the viewfinder status bar?
05-19-2009, 05:46 AM   #130
Veteran Member

What you mean is the focusing screen. But what illdefined meant is the very narrow hard to identify object just behind to the right in the image. I missed it as well. Well spotted, illdefined!
no, well spotted Asahiflex. he should've said dark blue.
05-19-2009, 06:50 AM   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it this one?

I think you are looking for this.

United States Patent Application: 0080170849
05-19-2009, 06:53 AM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually, thinking about it again ...

Therefore, I declare to EVF overlay rumor to be dead :ugh:
R.I.P.

Rui
05-19-2009, 07:20 AM   #133
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Is it the viewfinder status bar?

The VF status bar is outside the image area. This one will superimpose data on the image, like that of the AF points.
05-19-2009, 07:25 AM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
R.I.P.
R.I.P. as in Rest in Piece ?
2009, May 20 - 2009, May 19
He only became -1 day old
Yes, it is a sad story.
But the idea is so compelling, that I prefer R.I.P. to mean
Recovery Is Possible

05-19-2009, 07:30 AM   #135