Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2009, 05:46 AM   #1

K-7 introducing electronic viewfinder

From the information gathered around the net, but mostly, from a couple of articles published at DSLRMagazine.com and Pentax DSLRs blog, I make my bet:

We will see electronic viewfinder in the K-7. I discuss in more depth in my blog, but the main info is provided in the original Pentax patent. This would back completely the claims made by Yvon Bourque about the other brands catching-up after the K-7 release.

Only a few days to see whether I am right or wrong (and no, I have no NDA or inside info whatsoever: just info found in the net).

Last edited by cateto; 05-19-2009 at 01:15 AM. Reason: The thread including a question mark, but by now this seems confirmed.
05-15-2009, 05:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/60252-pentax-do-again.html
05-15-2009, 05:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Again: no, we won't.
05-15-2009, 06:06 AM   #4

Original Poster
As far as I know, nobody with evidenced inside info has discarded this possibility yet.

But regardless, if there will be no EVF in the K-7, can anybody explain why the other brands will play catch-up after the release of K-7?

As far as I know, and if we exclude EVF, all other features wich are supposed to be in the K-7 (better autofocus, improved noise at low light, video, etc etc) are all available in models of the competition. And I can't imagine that all the noise made around the K-7 will be only to introduce a model with the same features as the competition: would not make sense.

Yvon Bourque has an NDA and he knows what he's speaking about. This, in my opinion, looks very promising and utilizing the EVF would actually put the competition catching up, since it's patented by Pentax.

05-15-2009, 06:10 AM   #5
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Again: no, we won't.
I think that we will see something.

Last edited by ogl; 05-15-2009 at 09:50 AM.
05-15-2009, 06:13 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think that you are not right, not wrong.
Ogl, I don't know if you actually have inside info or not, but comments like this are truly useless. If you have info and can give it, shoot.

If you can't (or have not info) it would be better to say nothing IMHO. "You are not right, not wrong" means nothing at all in my book.
05-15-2009, 06:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

It's the other way around: nobody with inside info has even hinted it will have this feature.
I don't know about the play catch-up part... it won't be a sci-fi, uber-super-duper-advanced camera; but I'd say it will pack most features for it's price, as the K10D did when it was launched.
And let's say that, if someone will tell me the K7 it will have a viewfinder far better than anything else (APS-C only, of course), it means he doesn't know what he's talking about. Btw, even now the competition has to play catch-up - weather sealing at this price? It doesn't have to be the viewfinder, and it isn't.
Don't expect miracles, it's just a camera. An improved camera, yes, feature-packed, but nothing more than that. Or, expect miracles then be disappointed when you find out the truth.

Ogl, please explain what you mean with that. Am I not right? Am I not wrong? If I'm neither, what's left?

Last edited by Kunzite; 05-15-2009 at 06:24 AM.
05-15-2009, 06:22 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's the other way around: nobody with inside info has even hinted it will have this feature.
In the case this feature is actually present in the K-7, I'm sure it would be one of the points specified in the NDA to avoid disclosure before the official introduction. So it is unsurprising that people under NDA has not hinted at this feature.
05-15-2009, 06:28 AM   #9
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by cateto Quote
Ogl, I don't know if you actually have inside info or not, but comments like this are truly useless. If you have info and can give it, shoot.

If you can't (or have not info) it would be better to say nothing IMHO. "You are not right, not wrong" means nothing at all in my book.
Hi, Cateto!

You're wrong though it means something. That either way he can claim he knew correctly!

Radu

Btw, Alex is right this camera will give not only a lot for the money but also a very desirable combination of features without the chronic Pentax weaknesses. Other than that I don't think it will end famine on Earth or stop all wars. And the unique Pentax twist could be one of it's features depending on who appreciates what.
05-15-2009, 06:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cateto Quote

Yeah but it feels so good showing that you're "in the know"... :ugh:
05-15-2009, 06:43 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Yes, everything points to an excellent, feature-packed camera. I'm a bit concerned about ergonomics, though... I'm afraid it will be a step down from the K20D. But one must really try it before drawing conclusions.
05-15-2009, 07:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What ogl says means something.
He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.
And I know that what ogl means is right.
05-15-2009, 07:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

To me ogl's cryptic reply is the same as "you are close, but not 100% there."

I doubt if Pentax would ever go to a pure EVF. I just cannot see it.

But I could see some type of information overlay in the viewfinder. So it would use EVF type components intended for user information. But I do not see it for images.
05-15-2009, 07:28 AM   #14
Inactive Account

I'm not %100 sure and please correct me if I'm wrong but what if that specail ability that other manufacutes need to catch up on is the ability to Auto focus in movie mode? I'm pretty sure Cannon/Nikon are not able to do this. I know the he GH1 can do it but it is not a DSLR.
05-15-2009, 07:34 AM   #15
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Canon 5D Mk II has AF in video mode.

It seems to me that we can shoot video at K-7 thru optical VF.