Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
It's nice and all, but let's not get our hopes up too high. So far I haven't seen any proof that Pentax will include this patented system in the K-7. I'm perfectly happy without that system but if it's true then kudos to Pentax!
I don't own a K20D so please answer this: When in LV does SR works continuously on K20D? Can you feel it?

Last edited by RuiC; 05-15-2009 at 03:37 PM.
05-15-2009, 03:22 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
How is the live histogram superimposed on top of the live view going to work? Is the sensor supposed to take a reading through the half transparent mirror (with the secondary mirror folded away somehow)?
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I thought about it when I wrote my speculation above. I don't think they would have used a semi-transparent mirror (although that may come in later models). But with 77 metering segments, they would have enough data for some sort of live histogram. Still not entirely save for an "expose to the right". But nearly so.
It is done with the mirror locked up and readings are from the sensor. No need for transparent mirror. And the transparent LCD is deposited on the Condenser glass just next to the focusing screen. To avoid mirror reflection a plane screen is rolled out between the mirror and the focusing screen when the former is locked-up
05-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Note to Pentax: EVF's suck.
One big advantage for EVF is to benefit from SR when holding long teles. SR is useless with those lenses if you can't frame correctly.
05-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cateto Quote
From the information gathered around the net, but mostly, from a couple of articles published at DSLRMagazine.com and Pentax DSLRs blog, I make my bet:

We will see electronic viewfinder in the K-7. I discuss in more depth in my blog, but the main info is provided in the original Pentax patent. This would back completely the claims made by Yvon Bourque about the other brands catching-up after the K-7 release.

Only a few days to see whether I am right or wrong (and no, I have no NDA or inside info whatsoever: just info found in the net).
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Cateto, I read that patent too, but I didn't see any indication of an EVF. I wrote about it here. In short, I think it's just a patent to create a large image on a viewfinder that's closer to the mirror, thus enabling a small body to have the same image size as a larger body without the new system.
Wrong patent. You should be reading this one:

United States Patent Application: 0070019945

05-15-2009, 04:34 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
It is done with the mirror locked up and readings are from the sensor. No need for transparent mirror. And the transparent LCD is deposited on the Condenser glass just next to the focusing screen. To avoid mirror reflection a plane screen is rolled out between the mirror and the focusing screen when the former is locked-up
Wrong patent. You should be reading this one:
RuiC, you write as if you knew exactly how the VF in the K-7 looked like. But I guess you don't and you are just explaining the patent to us. If so, please be more careful to make the distinction.

According to the transparent LCD next to the focusing screen ... I don't see how such a screen could be back illuminated. It would need OLED. But then, does transparent OLED exist?
05-15-2009, 04:35 PM   #51
Veteran Member

I don't own a K20D so please answer this: When in LV does SR works continuously on K20D? Can you feel it?
Yes. And yes.
You can even study it seeing it compensate and slowly crawl back if you make a fast turn ...
05-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
If the histogram isn't extracted from the sensor, it's next to useless.
We don't know. A histogram from 77 fields might be good enough in 99% of cases...

05-15-2009, 04:47 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
RuiC, you write as if you knew exactly how the VF in the K-7 looked like. But I guess you don't and you are just explaining the patent to us. If so, please be more careful to make the distinction.

According to the transparent LCD next to the focusing screen ... I don't see how such a screen could be back illuminated. It would need OLED. But then, does transparent OLED exist?
Yes I know how the VF looks, I've seen.
And YES I was explaining the patent. As for how it can be back lighted, if you can't extract from the referred patent, then you have to ask Pentax.

About being careful to make distinctions, sincerely I don't understand your concern, really.
05-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #54
Veteran Member

About being careful to make distinctions, sincerely I don't understand your concern, really.
Do you say the VF of K-7 has an electronic overlay display. Or don't you say so? From what you wrote, it isn't clear.

Or otherwise speaking ...

Do you say that the K-7 deploys a VF as described in the patent you are talking about?
05-15-2009, 05:36 PM   #55
Veteran Member

What's the point of an EVF on the camera?
05-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #56
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
What's the point of an EVF on the camera?
You could go back a few pages and read

But a few possibilities being discussed:
- LV in the VF, good for shooting video (or maybe manual focus in low light)
- Overlay of info, for instance live histogram
- Never have to pull your eye from the VF to chimp
05-15-2009, 07:01 PM   #57

"What I'm really thinking about is the idea that certain products have a synergy where the different features and functions cooperate advantageously for a final outcome." - Ned Bunnell

I really hate to post this, as you can see I don't post. This just stuck in my head from a couple of weeks ago regarding the soul of the camera or whatever it was. Could likely be attributed to anything, but as a non-poster in this forum, I thought it was important enough to.

mridgep
05-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #58

QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
You could go back a few pages and read

But a few possibilities being discussed:
- LV in the VF, good for shooting video (or maybe manual focus in low light)
- Overlay of info, for instance live histogram
- Never have to pull your eye from the VF to chimp
There is a strange button on the right side of the OK button.
I guess it's sth related to this EVF,
may be we can click this button and use the wheel to select different kind of info displaying in the evf.
05-16-2009, 01:07 AM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yipchunyu Quote
There is a strange button on the right side of the OK button.
I guess it's sth related to this EVF,
may be we can click this button and use the wheel to select different kind of info displaying in the evf.
This is the Picture Style button.
05-16-2009, 01:37 AM   #60
Pentaxian

They won't believe you. They will suppose it's for some mysterious function, and they'll be be disappointed when they'll find out in few days that it's exactly what you said.
And btw, the same symbol can be found in the K20D's interface/menus. Should I say Custom Images? Neah, why bother. It has to be that EVF/OVF hybrid