Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
You said above that you have seen the K7 lifeview.
I said I have seen the viewfinder and also liveview but no EVF working. It was a demo not fully functional.

05-16-2009, 11:44 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Photomy Quote
In my opinion, simply superimposing a small, real time, dynamic range histogram onto the optical viewfinder in the corner would be huge.
It's a huge way to add more distraction to the viewfinder, anyway.
I find the AF indicator projections to be annoying enough without adding more visual garbage to the already information busy finder.
05-16-2009, 12:01 PM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I find the AF indicator projections to be annoying enough without adding more visual garbage to the already information busy finder.
If there is such a feature, you can bet that you can turn if off.
05-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Exclusive first! K-7 viewfinder image! See, nothing distracting here. Just lots of usefull info.

Gotta say, I can't get enough of the red filter effect.

Attached Images

05-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Nosnoop's right, those can be turned off.

Under 'C' in the menu, #15: 'Superimpose AF area'... off.

Kind of reminds me a bit of those self-appointed camera critics saying, 'Pentax is doomed, the LCD is too bright!'...apparently not having expected you can.. turn it down. (or up) Not to mention tweak the display's color balance and lots of other things. "The Jpegs are soft!" (OK, turn up the sharpening if you want em sharper out of the camera) Little things like that.

Mind you, I can kind of see some use for histograms, though I feel like the old blues player that can't read music in that way... I mostly hear this whole thing about 'Expose to the right' and I'm wondering, 'Doesn't that mean, 'Not getting rated ISO?'

Working on it.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-16-2009 at 01:06 PM.
05-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Exclusive first! K-7 viewfinder image! See, nothing distracting here. Just lots of usefull info.

Gotta say, I can't get enough of the red filter effect.
See, more proof for my theory. Add soft outer shell over metal skeleton, and this thing is sent back in time by Cyberdyne Systems (a.k.a Pentax) to photograph us all. Somebody warn Linda Hamilton.
05-17-2009, 03:05 AM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You mean when I turn the K7 on for the first time, it will change its shape and speak ""I want your boots, your clothes, and your motorcycle"?

05-17-2009, 08:27 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
If so, that's not just marketing speak and not just according to Pentax. Summed up, you're saying that in the K-7 Pentax would have the cheapest, smallest camera to incorporate all cutting edge technology that no other manufacturer has ever combined into one camera. I would definitely say that Pentax would be ahead of the curve in that case.

Yes it's more exciting to have 1 specific feature to point to that towers above the rest. But what you described is nothing to scoff at.
Incorporating many great features into a single camera is wonderful, but it is not the same as having a breakthrough feature that other manufacturers will have to develop in order to catch up. In-camera image stabilization was such a feature, and I believe it was pioneered by Olympus. Unfortunately for them, the world did not beat a path to their door.

Rob
05-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Incorporating many great features into a single camera is wonderful, but it is not the same as having a breakthrough feature that other manufacturers will have to develop in order to catch up. In-camera image stabilization was such a feature, and I believe it was pioneered by Olympus. Unfortunately for them, the world did not beat a path to their door.

Rob
wasn't they too who introduced Live View and/or the swivel LCD on DSLRs? i don't really know who started it, in retrospect it really matters little (pentaprism anybody?). prestige only gets one so far.

though im sure whoever introduced such features got a considerable bump in sales whenever they did introduce them, as well as move the industry along as a whole.
05-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote

Rob
It was Minolta.
05-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mutedphotos Quote
It was Minolta.
did them a lot of good too :ugh:
05-18-2009, 04:18 AM   #87

Original Poster
^ Some of these features have evidenced their actual utility. For instance, canikon joked when dust removal was introduced by Olympus. They don't joke anymore: they are implementing similar systems in their cameras.

For instance, nowadays nobody jokes about camera stabilization/shake reduction: only the real pros can afford to buy stabilized lenses of good quality, thus camera stabilization seems the way to go, and I bet that all dSLR cameras will have it in a matter of few years. Including canikons.

Of course these features don't ensure success, but they show that good ideas pave the way to success. Even if in some cases (Minolta) the good ideas are taken over by another firm, as Sony.

Whether electronic viewfinder is one of the ideas in this category, and what it will mean for Pentax when implemented, it all remains to be seen.
05-18-2009, 08:12 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Wrong patent. You should be reading this one:

United States Patent Application: 0070019945
Yes, I was definitely reading the wrong one. Very interesting patent, and I'd love to see it implemented.
05-18-2009, 08:28 AM   #89

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Wrong patent. You should be reading this one:

United States Patent Application: 0070019945
Thanks for the link. I think this patent and the one I linked fit each other nicely and help to make yourself an idea on how the EVF will work when actually implemented.
05-18-2009, 01:47 PM   #90

By the new Ricehigh specification there is nothing special about the VF other than 100% coverage...

Disappointed if true?