Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #61
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,104
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
ha, hell if I know. I do a pretty good job of keeping up around here, but you'd have to work full time to follow all of the K7 threads.
It's daunting. We all need some form of medal or reward ...maybe a free K-7, how about it Pentax?

05-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #62
Veteran Member
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
From the image that bar indicates 1/3 steps from +2 to -2
So then, it is -3 to +3 with 1/2 stop steps.
05-15-2009, 07:24 PM   #63
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 886
QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
It's daunting. We all need some form of medal or reward ...maybe a free K-7, how about it Pentax?
That's the best idea I've heard yet.
05-15-2009, 08:23 PM   #64
Banned




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millstone,NJ
Posts: 6,491
Lumix G1 with Canon 50mm F0.95 lens


05-15-2009, 11:42 PM   #65
RaduA
Guest




My first impulse was to mount the 35Ltd on the K20D and make an exact replica of the pic that started all then post it as a proof that I was right above. But you seem to like to ignore logical thinking so I guess why bother?

Like I said the pic was doctored in Photoshop by removing parts of whatever number it were there originally and I think the guy who post it was thinking that doing so he will cast a shadow about the shutter speed too because the leak was about that part not some mythicall uberlens (btw, why 30mm and not 50mm or any other value? ) by Pentax.
In hindsight he could of been too smart for you, Pal!

Enjoy your masochistic thread!
Radu
05-15-2009, 11:52 PM   #66
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 1,104
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Lumix G1 with Canon 50mm F0.95 lens
I had a G1 with a FD 50mm f/1.2 and it was Very unbalanced. i can only imagine how front heavy that 0.95 is!
The 1.2 took decent photos though...

05-16-2009, 12:00 AM   #67
jay
Inactive Account




Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Posts: 65
a 30mm f/1.0 lens (or any f/1.0 lens, for that matter) is impossible. The K-mount doesn't support anything faster than f/1.2.

Recall the K-A mount uses 5 metal contacts that are either shorted or open to tell the camera what the maximum open aperture is, and the minimum aperture.

The two "fastest" patterns are 10001 for a f/1.2 - f/16 lens, and 11111 for an f/1.2 - f/22 lens.

So, Pentax would have to, at the minimum, add an extra pin to the mount somewhere. This seems rather unlikely.

EDIT: Actually, I realized 11001 and 11000 both cause the camera to report f--, so they're unused. If they did introduce a 30mm f/1.0 lens, they would be able to use one of the unused combinations -- but the lens wouldn't be backward-compatible with existing camera bodies.
05-16-2009, 12:45 AM   #68
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Netherlands
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 908
QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote

Also, hopefully it won't be ridiculously priced like the DA Star 55mm. I know it's a wonderful lens, but $700? Ouch. Nikons equally good new 50mm 1.4G is currently only $485; and was selling for $440 when first released.
Most Pentax lenses cost MORE on release and will drop in price....

QuoteOriginally posted by jay Quote
EDIT: Actually, I realized 11001 and 11000 both cause the camera to report f--, so they're unused. If they did introduce a 30mm f/1.0 lens, they would be able to use one of the unused combinations -- but the lens wouldn't be backward-compatible with existing camera bodies.
Neither are the DA lenses,.. Pentax bodies have been backwards compatible, NOT the lenses...


Hmm in the past posts we have heard thing like "some will be dissapointed in body", "change in philosophy"... Hints at abandoning backwards compatability?

05-16-2009, 02:11 AM   #69
ibk
Forum Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 55
QuoteOriginally posted by janneman Quote
Hmm in the past posts we have heard thing like "some will be dissapointed in body", "change in philosophy"... Hints at abandoning backwards compatability?
In a word - No!
05-16-2009, 02:23 AM   #70
Veteran Member
Steelski's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Varna
Posts: 468
QuoteOriginally posted by jay Quote
a 30mm f/1.0 lens (or any f/1.0 lens, for that matter) is impossible. The K-mount doesn't support anything faster than f/1.2.

Recall the K-A mount uses 5 metal contacts that are either shorted or open to tell the camera what the maximum open aperture is, and the minimum aperture.

The two "fastest" patterns are 10001 for a f/1.2 - f/16 lens, and 11111 for an f/1.2 - f/22 lens.

So, Pentax would have to, at the minimum, add an extra pin to the mount somewhere. This seems rather unlikely.

EDIT: Actually, I realized 11001 and 11000 both cause the camera to report f--, so they're unused. If they did introduce a 30mm f/1.0 lens, they would be able to use one of the unused combinations -- but the lens wouldn't be backward-compatible with existing camera bodies.
A quick firmware update should do the trick.
05-16-2009, 03:23 AM   #71
mer
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Greece
Posts: 237
personally I love fast lenses.

Most of the time I use my 55/1.2 . On film it looks out of this world. I love when a lens has it's own character , be it abberations or bokeh quality . When FF lenses are used with aps-c sensors most of the time I don't like the results . For example the 31/1.8 LTD or my 55/1.2 is crap on the aps-c. Not exactly crap but this is not the result I expect from these lenses .

To compensate for the DOF we need a 30mm f/1.0 if we want the 50mm F/1.4 equivalent on FF. The 30mm F/1.0 is not THAT difficult to design for aps-c and I am 99% it can be done for Pentax DSLRS and it wouldn't cost more than 800usd. If they could sell 50mm f/1.2 lenses for 200-300usd back in the 70's for FF ( with all metal construction and good build quality ) then I am sure they can design an aps-c 30mm f/1.0 lens for quite cheap.

Sometimes many people buy an slr only because sometime they will be able to buy a very good lens . For example some people buy pentax so they can use a limited lens on it but not many will finally buy it so sometimes it's all about the cult status.
05-16-2009, 04:37 AM   #72
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 322
Da28/1,2

FA31/1,8 are a wide lens for 24X36, now it´s a "47,5mm" lens on APS.
And the rumours before was a DA* 30/1,4, but that´s to close to FA31 ltd.
OK, 50/1,4, 1,7, 2 and 1,2 are Pentax tradition, so we can expect a 30mm with f1,2,
1,0 are to expensive to sale enough and 1,4 are to close to FA31.
At the time then K50/1,2 was on sale, Pentax was big and also had 50mm with 2,0, 1,7, 1,4 and a Macro f4(but not so many zooms).

But to be a little different from FA31 ltd and also a tradition from M40/2,8 and FA43/1,9, Pentax can make a DA28/1,2(that is "43mm"), if not Pentax have plans for a 28mm limited.
05-16-2009, 06:16 AM   #73
Pentaxian
Pål Jensen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,148
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RaduA Quote
like to ignore logical thinking so I guess why bother?

Like I said the pic was doctored in Photoshop by removing parts of whatever number it were there originally and I think the guy who post it was thinking that doing so he will cast a shadow about the shutter speed too because the leak was about that part not some mythicall uberlens Radu
Theres nothing logical in doctoring the aperture display if it was for showing the max shutterspeed. Thats achieved by simply dialing in max shutterspeed.
05-16-2009, 06:18 AM   #74
Pentaxian
Pål Jensen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,148
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jay Quote
a 30mm f/1.0 lens (or any f/1.0 lens, for that matter) is impossible. The K-mount doesn't support anything faster than f/1.2..

Perhaps. But why then does the camera show F:1.0?
05-16-2009, 06:22 AM   #75
Pentaxian
Pål Jensen's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Norway
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,148
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
FA31/1,8 are a wide lens for 24X36, now it´s a "47,5mm" lens on APS.
And the rumours before was a DA* 30/1,4, but that´s to close to FA31 ltd.
OK, 50/1,4, 1,7, 2 and 1,2 are Pentax tradition, so we can expect a 30mm with f1,2,
1,0 are to expensive to sale enough and 1,4 are to close to FA31.
At the time then K50/1,2 was on sale, Pentax was big and also had 50mm with 2,0, 1,7, 1,4 and a Macro f4(but not so many zooms).
I agree with this but why then does the display show F:1.0? If photoshopped, why? If theres something that can be done with a prototype, why?
Anyway, a fast standard lens is missing form the Pentax lineup. My guess is that the coming 30mm is such a lens with speed of at least 1.4 to make much sense. The 31/1.8 doesn't really count; it is not a DA lens, it is not weather sealed, does not have SDM and generally doesn't fit in. I suspect it won't be in production for much longer.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
30mm, advantage, aps, eos, lens, lenses, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, roadmap, system
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Architecture Wonder Works Fl_Gulfer Post Your Photos! 2 09-05-2010 01:58 PM
How AF works wlachan Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 1 08-22-2010 10:09 PM
28 M works well? Fonnyboy Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 04-07-2008 12:49 AM
sigma 30mm vs. pentax 30mm jay legere Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 02-01-2008 04:15 PM
As Works! almo Post Your Photos! 1 01-18-2008 06:42 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:24 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top