Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #31
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Jem and Rob, thanks for your answers to my question.

I have another one: can DxO do anything about cornes softness. In particular, has anyone noticed improvements in this respect after DxO processing of pictures taken with Pentax 18-250mm (a nice lens, however, with some bothering corner softness). Thank you in advance.
The lens softness correction is adjustable. For the most part, I leave it at the default level. On rare occasions, I strengthen it to improve corner sharpness.

Rob

05-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #32
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
Think of it this way. You have to people holding a long piece of rope at the same level. This is the "perfect" state. Say that one person starts to move his end of the rope up and down creating waves in the rope or distorting the level of the rope. The other person can move his side of the rope so that the rope remains straight and level so long as he counters the movements of the other person as long as he knows what the other person is doing.

Now take that and apply it to light. Imagine light travels in a straight line. As it passes through things the light bends and is distorted so that it can hit the sensor of your camera to capture the image you are lining up. DxO's modules are able to mathematically derrive what types of distortions each tested lens creates and is able to cancel out those distortions thus bringing the image back to it's "perfect" state.

Thanks,
Rob
05-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #33
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
DxO can be used for lenses other than those supported and improve the base raw provided the body is supported. It is not as miraculous as when the combination is supported, but it does work on the sensor/AA filter "flaws".

This is a valuable point about DxO. It is truly amazing with specific lens correction modules, but it beats anything else I have tried even with unsupported lenses.

To be perfectly clear about this, I use DxO Optics Pro in conjunction with Lightroom/ACR. DxO comes first. I use a custom preset and then process automatically in batch mode. I prefer LR/ACR's colors and its adjustment tools. Images that go through both programs not only are sharper and more detailed, but they also have better tonal and color separation, which gives them an extaordinarily realistic appearance.

Rob
05-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,134
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
This is a valuable point about DxO. It is truly amazing with specific lens correction modules, but it beats anything else I have tried even with unsupported lenses.

To be perfectly clear about this, I use DxO Optics Pro in conjunction with Lightroom/ACR. DxO comes first. I use a custom preset and then process automatically in batch mode. I prefer LR/ACR's colors and its adjustment tools. Images that go through both programs not only are sharper and more detailed, but they also have better tonal and color separation, which gives them an extaordinarily realistic appearance.

Rob
Rob, it sounds like your workflow is similar to mine. DxO > LR2 > PSE6 if needed. I do use the keystone and horizon corrections in DxO rather than later and accept their auto crop. I do white balance and exposure corrections in LR. PSE6 is there for layers and other goodies that LR does not have.

05-18-2009, 12:19 PM   #35
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,159
Do I rememeber well? I think DXO can be used as plugin in LR.
How does it work exactly that way?
05-18-2009, 12:20 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,134
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Do I rememeber well? I think DXO can be used as plugin in LR.
How does it work exactly that way?
DxO can be used as an external editor in LR, but that bypasses much of the corrections that can only be done on straight out of the camera images.
05-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #37
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,159
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
DxO can be used as an external editor in LR, but that bypasses much of the corrections that can only be done on straight out of the camera images.
Mmm as long as the DNG files stay untouched and all catalogging features of LR still work it could be interesting. Worth the try IMO.
05-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,134
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Mmm as long as the DNG files stay untouched and all catalogging features of LR still work it could be interesting. Worth the try IMO.
I think that LR actually uses ACR as soon as you import it.

05-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #39
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,159
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I think that LR actually uses ACR as soon as you import it.
I will try it.
Thank you for your insights
05-18-2009, 12:38 PM   #40
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Rob, it sounds like your workflow is similar to mine. DxO > LR2 > PSE6 if needed. I do use the keystone and horizon corrections in DxO rather than later and accept their auto crop. I do white balance and exposure corrections in LR. PSE6 is there for layers and other goodies that LR does not have.
Albert,

I have created a custom preset for DxO in which I have all of the color correction modules disabled. Basically, I use the program for its RAW processing, noise reduction and lens correction capabilities. If you are interested in my specific settings, I will be happy to share them with you.

I am very pleased with the color rendering of ACR's standard camera profile. I also like its adjustment tools, that allow more subtle tuning than DxO's. Combining the two programs into one workflow gives me the best of both worlds.

For final editing on selected images, I use CS3.

Rob
05-18-2009, 12:41 PM   #41
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Do I rememeber well? I think DXO can be used as plugin in LR.
How does it work exactly that way?

I have never tried it myself. The most important point would be that the files remain in the RAW/DNG mode when they go into DxO.

Rob
05-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #42
Veteran Member
deejjjaaaa's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: steel city / rust belt
Posts: 2,046
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Do I rememeber well? I think DXO can be used as plugin in LR.
How does it work exactly that way?
Working With Adobe Lightroom

http://www.dxo.com/var/dxo/storage/fckeditor/File/learning/tutorials/Integra...v5_revA3.1.pdf
05-18-2009, 09:17 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,134
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Albert,

I have created a custom preset for DxO in which I have all of the color correction modules disabled. Basically, I use the program for its RAW processing, noise reduction and lens correction capabilities. If you are interested in my specific settings, I will be happy to share them with you.

I am very pleased with the color rendering of ACR's standard camera profile. I also like its adjustment tools, that allow more subtle tuning than DxO's. Combining the two programs into one workflow gives me the best of both worlds.

For final editing on selected images, I use CS3.

Rob
Rob, I would appreciate seeing your settings. I also appreciate LR2 greatly, and DxO as well. I use PS E6 as my external editor for the odd time I need to do something out there. I am not a particular fan of darkroom work, whether digital or odorous.
05-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #44
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,159

Thank you !
05-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #45
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Rob, I would appreciate seeing your settings. I also appreciate LR2 greatly, and DxO as well. I use PS E6 as my external editor for the odd time I need to do something out there. I am not a particular fan of darkroom work, whether digital or odorous.
When I get home this evening, I will post my preset for you.

Rob
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
combo, dxo, k-7, ltd, modules, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, requests, support, website
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DXO are giving 30% off DXO Optics Pro until Dec 25 rawr Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 13 11-11-2010 01:22 PM
DXO Optics Pro (finally) to support the K-x rawr Pentax News and Rumors 13 10-24-2010 02:32 PM
K-x support coming to DXO Optics Pro by early September! rawr Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 2 07-29-2010 05:31 PM
The K-X and K-7 support PTP - Doesn't PTP support tethered shooting? Russell-Evans Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 12-25-2009 10:04 PM
DxO Distortion and DA* 16-50 at 16 mm Canada_Rockies Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 0 02-28-2008 03:22 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:38 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top