Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
DxO will support K-7

This should be of interest to those Pentax fans who use or are considering using DxO Optics Pro for RAW conversions. I have been in contact with DxO's technical support team, and I mentioned the fact that the K-7 is about to be announced and that I hope DxO will support this new flagship camera of the Pentax line. Here is the reply that I received:

"The teams is also very aware of the new K-7. We post regular updates on modules we are working on on our website. Hopefully, you will find news about the K-7 in the near future."

This is very good news, as DxO is without a doubt the best RAW conversion program that I have yet seen. The K10D/DA*16-50 combo looks so good with DxO that I can barely imagine how the the K-7/DA*16-50 combo will look. I want them to support the 31 Ltd and 77 Ltd lenses as well, although I do not expect this to happen soon, if ever. But individual correction modules will only happen if DxO gets lots of requests from Pentax users for modules for specific camera/lens combinations. So, do not hesitate to make such requests on the DxO website in the Support window.

Rob

Last edited by robgo2; 05-16-2009 at 09:41 AM.
05-16-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I will, thank you Rob.

I just hope they will support Pentax better. The lack of lenses modules is a pity.
I wonder if it is Pentax not sending them lenses are a corporate decision but I do not use DXO just because of that
05-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I will, thank you Rob.

I just hope they will support Pentax better. The lack of lenses modules is a pity.
I wonder if it is Pentax not sending them lenses are a corporate decision but I do not use DXO just because of that
Thibs, since Pentax has such a small market share, it is hard to imagine that DxO will devote huge resources to Pentax cameras and lenses. On the other hand, the development of correction modules may not be very difficult or expensive, once the basic system has been set up. So, I strongly suggest that you request all of the correction modules that you desire, and see if DxO will come through. We are still better off with Pentax than Olympus, which has no support at all.

Which lenses do you use? I have found that DxO is better than Lightroom even for non-supported lenses, so you might give it a try anyhow.

Rob
05-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Thibs, since Pentax has such a small market share, it is hard to imagine that DxO will devote huge resources to Pentax cameras and lenses. On the other hand, the development of correction modules may not be very difficult or expensive, once the basic system has been set up. So, I strongly suggest that you request all of the correction modules that you desire, and see if DxO will come through. We are still better off with Pentax than Olympus, which has no support at all.

Which lenses do you use? I have found that DxO is better than Lightroom even for non-supported lenses, so you might give it a try anyhow.

Rob
It may get a new try indeed. When I tested it (quite a time ago) it was slow as hell which is why I did pursue my investigation any longer.
Their support was really limited as for the modules but they had a deal with Samsung at a a time. Mmm I kept sending requests months ago, it didn't bring much infortunately.

The 50-200 is my only lens supported.
I often use: Sigma 28/1.8, FA50/1.4, DA16-45, DA50-200.

It makes me sick to see cheap Canons as well supported (although I understad why), I really wonder how many cheap Canons dslr users use DXO

I'd like to use DXO as a plugin for Aperture but I won't dig into evaluating the whole thing if more useful (for me) modules aren't available. I'm happy with Lightroom so I habe no reason to look for something else if there's no major incentive.

05-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
"The teams is also very aware of the new K-7. We post regular updates on modules we are working on on our website. Hopefully, you will find news about the K-7 in the near future."
One should think that DxO supports all bodies sharing the same sensor in a common way. Still, they don't support the K-m sharing the sensor of K10D. I don't think the antialias filter is that different. Hopefully, they change this policy with the K-7.
05-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Of course DxO will support it. DxO will support any enthusiast (or above) DSLR.

Now onto the next thread where they'll announce Adobe's Camera RAW support for the new K.
05-16-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
One should think that DxO supports all bodies sharing the same sensor in a common way. Still, they don't support the K-m sharing the sensor of K10D. I don't think the antialias filter is that different. Hopefully, they change this policy with the K-7.
I suggest that you submit a request on the DxO website.

Rob

05-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Of course DxO will support it. DxO will support any enthusiast (or above) DSLR.

Now onto the next thread where they'll announce Adobe's Camera RAW support for the new K.
Not necessarily true. No Olympus, Panasonic or Leica cameras are supported, and some of them are definitely aimed at pros and advanced amateurs. On the other hand, a number of consumer level Nikon and Canon cameras are supported. I think it is in DxO's interest to support as many cameras and lenses as they reasonably can, which is why I encourage interested parties to submit specific requests. As the old saying goes, it's the squeaky wheel that gets greased.

Rob
05-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't think the antialias filter is that different.
still might be different and CFA might be different and surrounding circuitry might be different and if you think that they are the same then just patch the raw files from K2000 to look like K10D raws... very simple solution... moreover - if you have some spare time nobody prevents you from writing a program that will be taking raw data out of .PEF from K10D and more or less properly stuffing (along w/ some necessary tags) it into .NEF from a similar Nikon camera... it might work and along will come support for some Sigma/Tamron lenses.

Last edited by deejjjaaaa; 05-16-2009 at 10:01 PM.
05-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
moreover - if you have some spare time nobody prevents you from writing a program that will be taking raw data out of .PEF from K10D and more or less properly stuffing (along w/ some necessary tags) it into .NEF from a similar Nikon camera... it might work and along will come support for some Sigma/Tamron lenses.
Funniest post I have read in ages. I cannot believe the casual presumption that everyone reading this thread has the technical skill to do whatever it is that he wrote. For a moment, I thought that I must have wandered into a hackers' forum by mistake. Absolutely hysterical.

Rob
05-17-2009, 01:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Anyone tried K-m or K200D raw's in DxO's K10D correction module?
05-17-2009, 01:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
I would be amazed if this would work, as each camera must be tagged for the software to recognize. DxO's correction modules are very camera and camera/lens specific. I doubt that different camera models containing the same sensor perform identically. If that were the case, then DxO would have no reason not to officially support all the "clone" cameras.

Rob
05-17-2009, 07:11 AM   #13
jem

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
DxO's current roadmap shows both the K200D & the K2000/K-m. Their turnaround time on their published road map has been approximately 1 month of late so I would expect K200D/K-m modules in June.

Best,
John
05-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perfection

Given the announced processing power of the K-7 what would you need DxO for?
05-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Given the announced processing power of the K-7 what would you need DxO for?
Compare both results?