Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
DxO will support K-7

This should be of interest to those Pentax fans who use or are considering using DxO Optics Pro for RAW conversions. I have been in contact with DxO's technical support team, and I mentioned the fact that the K-7 is about to be announced and that I hope DxO will support this new flagship camera of the Pentax line. Here is the reply that I received:

"The teams is also very aware of the new K-7. We post regular updates on modules we are working on on our website. Hopefully, you will find news about the K-7 in the near future."

This is very good news, as DxO is without a doubt the best RAW conversion program that I have yet seen. The K10D/DA*16-50 combo looks so good with DxO that I can barely imagine how the the K-7/DA*16-50 combo will look. I want them to support the 31 Ltd and 77 Ltd lenses as well, although I do not expect this to happen soon, if ever. But individual correction modules will only happen if DxO gets lots of requests from Pentax users for modules for specific camera/lens combinations. So, do not hesitate to make such requests on the DxO website in the Support window.

Rob


Last edited by robgo2; 05-16-2009 at 09:41 AM.
05-16-2009, 10:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,246
I will, thank you Rob.

I just hope they will support Pentax better. The lack of lenses modules is a pity.
I wonder if it is Pentax not sending them lenses are a corporate decision but I do not use DXO just because of that
05-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I will, thank you Rob.

I just hope they will support Pentax better. The lack of lenses modules is a pity.
I wonder if it is Pentax not sending them lenses are a corporate decision but I do not use DXO just because of that
Thibs, since Pentax has such a small market share, it is hard to imagine that DxO will devote huge resources to Pentax cameras and lenses. On the other hand, the development of correction modules may not be very difficult or expensive, once the basic system has been set up. So, I strongly suggest that you request all of the correction modules that you desire, and see if DxO will come through. We are still better off with Pentax than Olympus, which has no support at all.

Which lenses do you use? I have found that DxO is better than Lightroom even for non-supported lenses, so you might give it a try anyhow.

Rob
05-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,246
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Thibs, since Pentax has such a small market share, it is hard to imagine that DxO will devote huge resources to Pentax cameras and lenses. On the other hand, the development of correction modules may not be very difficult or expensive, once the basic system has been set up. So, I strongly suggest that you request all of the correction modules that you desire, and see if DxO will come through. We are still better off with Pentax than Olympus, which has no support at all.

Which lenses do you use? I have found that DxO is better than Lightroom even for non-supported lenses, so you might give it a try anyhow.

Rob
It may get a new try indeed. When I tested it (quite a time ago) it was slow as hell which is why I did pursue my investigation any longer.
Their support was really limited as for the modules but they had a deal with Samsung at a a time. Mmm I kept sending requests months ago, it didn't bring much infortunately.

The 50-200 is my only lens supported.
I often use: Sigma 28/1.8, FA50/1.4, DA16-45, DA50-200.

It makes me sick to see cheap Canons as well supported (although I understad why), I really wonder how many cheap Canons dslr users use DXO

I'd like to use DXO as a plugin for Aperture but I won't dig into evaluating the whole thing if more useful (for me) modules aren't available. I'm happy with Lightroom so I habe no reason to look for something else if there's no major incentive.

05-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
"The teams is also very aware of the new K-7. We post regular updates on modules we are working on on our website. Hopefully, you will find news about the K-7 in the near future."
One should think that DxO supports all bodies sharing the same sensor in a common way. Still, they don't support the K-m sharing the sensor of K10D. I don't think the antialias filter is that different. Hopefully, they change this policy with the K-7.
05-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member
ftpaddict's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Yurp
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,669
Of course DxO will support it. DxO will support any enthusiast (or above) DSLR.

Now onto the next thread where they'll announce Adobe's Camera RAW support for the new K.
05-16-2009, 09:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
One should think that DxO supports all bodies sharing the same sensor in a common way. Still, they don't support the K-m sharing the sensor of K10D. I don't think the antialias filter is that different. Hopefully, they change this policy with the K-7.
I suggest that you submit a request on the DxO website.

Rob
05-16-2009, 09:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Of course DxO will support it. DxO will support any enthusiast (or above) DSLR.

Now onto the next thread where they'll announce Adobe's Camera RAW support for the new K.
Not necessarily true. No Olympus, Panasonic or Leica cameras are supported, and some of them are definitely aimed at pros and advanced amateurs. On the other hand, a number of consumer level Nikon and Canon cameras are supported. I think it is in DxO's interest to support as many cameras and lenses as they reasonably can, which is why I encourage interested parties to submit specific requests. As the old saying goes, it's the squeaky wheel that gets greased.

Rob

05-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member
deejjjaaaa's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: steel city / rust belt
Posts: 2,046
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I don't think the antialias filter is that different.
still might be different and CFA might be different and surrounding circuitry might be different and if you think that they are the same then just patch the raw files from K2000 to look like K10D raws... very simple solution... moreover - if you have some spare time nobody prevents you from writing a program that will be taking raw data out of .PEF from K10D and more or less properly stuffing (along w/ some necessary tags) it into .NEF from a similar Nikon camera... it might work and along will come support for some Sigma/Tamron lenses.

Last edited by deejjjaaaa; 05-16-2009 at 10:01 PM.
05-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
moreover - if you have some spare time nobody prevents you from writing a program that will be taking raw data out of .PEF from K10D and more or less properly stuffing (along w/ some necessary tags) it into .NEF from a similar Nikon camera... it might work and along will come support for some Sigma/Tamron lenses.
Funniest post I have read in ages. I cannot believe the casual presumption that everyone reading this thread has the technical skill to do whatever it is that he wrote. For a moment, I thought that I must have wandered into a hackers' forum by mistake. Absolutely hysterical.

Rob
05-17-2009, 01:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member
causey's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,758
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
One should think that DxO supports all bodies sharing the same sensor in a common way. Still, they don't support the K-m sharing the sensor of K10D. I don't think the antialias filter is that different. Hopefully, they change this policy with the K-7.
Anyone tried K-m or K200D raw's in DxO's K10D correction module?
05-17-2009, 01:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Mexico
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,125
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Anyone tried K-m or K200D raw's in DxO's K10D correction module?
I would be amazed if this would work, as each camera must be tagged for the software to recognize. DxO's correction modules are very camera and camera/lens specific. I doubt that different camera models containing the same sensor perform identically. If that were the case, then DxO would have no reason not to officially support all the "clone" cameras.

Rob
05-17-2009, 07:11 AM   #13
jem
Senior Member




Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 217
QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Anyone tried K-m or K200D raw's in DxO's K10D correction module?
DxO's current roadmap shows both the K200D & the K2000/K-m. Their turnaround time on their published road map has been approximately 1 month of late so I would expect K200D/K-m modules in June.

Best,
John
05-17-2009, 07:53 AM   #14
Veteran Member
RuiC's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Lisboa - The Grocery
Posts: 615
Perfection

Given the announced processing power of the K-7 what would you need DxO for?
05-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #15
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,246
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
Given the announced processing power of the K-7 what would you need DxO for?
Compare both results?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
combo, dxo, k-7, ltd, modules, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, requests, support, website
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DXO are giving 30% off DXO Optics Pro until Dec 25 rawr Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 13 11-11-2010 01:22 PM
DXO Optics Pro (finally) to support the K-x rawr Pentax News and Rumors 13 10-24-2010 02:32 PM
K-x support coming to DXO Optics Pro by early September! rawr Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 2 07-29-2010 05:31 PM
The K-X and K-7 support PTP - Doesn't PTP support tethered shooting? Russell-Evans Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 12-25-2009 10:04 PM
DxO Distortion and DA* 16-50 at 16 mm Canada_Rockies Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 0 02-28-2008 03:22 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:38 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top