Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
To survive, it depends more of K-m/K2000.
If Pentax sale many K-m, the owners of K-m look for more advanced Pentax after a year or so. And then it depends on K7, K70 and K7 Super to be attractive...
K7 seems to be enough for Pentax users to upgrade, but not for Canikons to go Pentax.
If Pentax get 5-10% of DSLR market in a year, Hoya gona be satisfied, but to get there it´s mostly up to K-m/K2000. If Pentax come with K70 and a K2000Super with tests in the magazines in good time before Christmas, it helps too...
Agreed. We already know that the "base" and "mid" levels models make up the strong majority of sales. Internet forums do not count as representations of actual sales figures...that one's for Samsungian
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
K-m is best seller for Pentax. It's real.
K-7 will stimulate the last sales of K20D till new K-? launch close to the end 2009. IMO
Agreed. My K10D was dirt cheap right after the release of the K20. Too good to pass up, both in price and value.
QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
Referring to the original post, if any of the "secret" features of the K-7 were external (say a new kind of swivel screen), they would've done a lousy job of keeping it secret. For example, we knew about an AF lamp almost a month ago.
The AF lamp is through the pop-up flash. I'm 95% sure that little light spot between the shutter and prism housing is a WB sensor.
QuoteOriginally posted by vizjerei Quote
well even Ricehigh is thinking to get the new K-7, so I think Pentax can survive longer than our fear.
Hahaha...we'll see if he actually buys one or just lists it in his sig. One thing is for sure...we'll have a measurebated comparison to the almighty 5D!

05-17-2009, 09:53 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
A bit of the voice of doom there, Rice High. But even for a long time Pentaxian as myself, I admit I do harbour that same fear.
That same "stuff" was said about EVERY Pentax DSLR release... Eventually RH may be right. Only question is the year He'll be the first to tell you too.
If This "division" was owned by an american capitalist it would have been history looong ago. It's not, it's Japanese and a lot of history and pride is built in (kind of like GM "going under"). Granted Hoya is more american then many Japanese companies but they will give it their best effort for years before calling it quits...
My biggest fear was dissolution of the camera div. at the time of merger. Hoya surprised the pants off me by being so supportive (well really hands off support) and they didn't just gut it....
hoya's historical ownership of Pentax in japanese terms is minuscule. And just gutting a national icon would be political suicide on their part. No "1 year to perform then your out" logic here.
Yes the k-7 is important because mother hoya did redirect them and may have even pumped some capital in... but death knocking on the door?? not for awhile.

Last edited by jeffkrol; 05-17-2009 at 10:50 AM.
05-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
That same "stuff" was said about EVERY Pentax DSLR release... Eventually RH may be right. Only question is the year He'll be the first to tell you too.
If This "division" was owned by an american capitalist it would have been history looong ago. It's not, it's Japanese and a lot of history and pride is built in (kind of like GM "going under"). Granted Hoya is more american then many Japanese companies but they will give it their best effort for years before calling it quits...
My biggest fear was dissolution of the camera div. at the time of merger. Hoya surprised the pants off me by being so supportive (well really hands off support) and they didn't just gut it....
hoya's historical ownership of Pentax in japanese terms is minuscule. And just gutting a national icon would be political suicide on their part. No "1 year to perform then your out" logic here.
Yes the k-7 is important because mother hoya did redirect them and may have even pumped some capital in... but death knocking on the door?? not for awhile.
Pentax has been around for a long time and I have been a Pentax fan for a long time...I'm fully supportive of the company and the equipment.

It's all this talk about the very small market share that Pentax currently has. Back in the '60's when I started with Slr's ...the most common SLR (Spotmatic)by far was the Pentax..same in the '70's and '80's (K1000)...but aside from me and a buddy I don't see other digital Pentax SLR's in my home town. I'm hoping the KM / K2000 reverses that pattern.
Pentax has always been the reliable, durable every man's (women too) SLR camera and having a strong basic camera...supported with good advertising and availability is what will turn the trick, IMHO.