Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Any News on What Battery the K-7 Will Use ?

I hope they use a easily available size like Nikon's Lithium-Ion EN-EL3e

These are all over the place and they make some pretty powerful ones too.

wll

05-17-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-7 will use the new Pentax D-LI90 lithium ion accu.

This is not currently a product. Pentax currently lists 10 LiOn battery types, the D-LI90 will be an eleventh.

The new grip either supports another D-LI90 accu or six standard AA batteries (for Eneloop and alike) (Not a speculation. You really got a choice what to fill your grip with.)

There isn't any other information available yet. Discussions can be found in the mega thread.
05-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

This is not currently a product. Pentax currently lists 10 LiOn battery types, the D-LI90 will be an eleventh.

The new grip either supports another D-LI90 accu or six standard AA batteries (for Eneloop and alike) (Not a speculation. You really got a choice what to fill your grip with.)

There isn't any other information available yet. Discussions can be found in the mega thread.
Very cool, but will the new battery be something totally new or will it be a renamed Pentax battery, but be like the one that the K20D has in that it was one that Minolta used ?

wll
05-17-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

D-LI90 is a three terminal battery against the two terminal for the D-LI50 and a bit lower in profile.

05-17-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
Forum Member

AA's in the grip? The size, the build quality, weather-sealed kit lens and now this? The K-7 is really turning out to be the ultimate backpacker's SLR!
05-18-2009, 12:32 AM   #6

I don't want to sound like a 'stuck in the mud' type of guy, but I was hoping they would use the same battery as the K10D / K20D - only because I own 10 of them (really!) and don't fancy having to replace that lot.
05-18-2009, 12:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by woodworm Quote
only because I own 10 of them (really!)
I have a few "NP400 Replacement" batteries and some went dead pretty soon. So, I am not unhappy to replace those
Do you have any advise on brand/source for such batteries which have a decent quality? Besides the overprized original, I mean ...

05-18-2009, 12:55 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have a few "NP400 Replacement" batteries and some went dead pretty soon. So, I am not unhappy to replace those
Do you have any advise on brand/source for such batteries which have a decent quality? Besides the overprized original, I mean ...
I bought Uniross replacement and have been very happy with it.
05-18-2009, 04:31 AM   #9
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The way the news is slowly leaking out about the quality of this camera and the features, it sounds awesome.

I wonder if by using Hybrid AA's in the grip you will get as many shots as if you were using a D-LI90.

wll
05-18-2009, 04:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
D-LI90 is a three terminal battery against the two terminal for the D-LI50 and a bit lower in profile.

What does having three terminals mean in practice?
05-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm hoping that means faster recharge times and a more accurate account of how much battery life you actually have. A % instead of a bar graph that goes from full, to 1/2 then back to full the to 3/4 then 1/2 then empty then 1/2 then 1/4 then empty then 1/4 then empty.
05-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
What does having three terminals mean in practice?
I don't know. Maybe a charge control/sense terminal. With better LV, higher fps, higher anything, of course the battery will be severely stressed. They had to change it. Also more electronics, smaller body = higher temp less bat. life. They hate high temp.
05-18-2009, 09:49 AM   #13
Forum Member

I don't know about these batteries, but in the RC world, we like to balance charge our lithium cells to prevent over-discharging any single cell. For this type of charging you have to have a single common (negative) contact for the entire pack and a positive contact for each cell. This allows you to monitor and charge each cell individually. I know cameras use a more stable Litium-ion chemistry for their cells, instead of the more volatile lithium-polymer, but the basics principles still apply. If one cell in the pack should get pulled down significantly below the others, it could become overdischarged and fail, or when recharging cause the others to become overcharged. An overcharged cell in a Lithium pack can possibly cause catastrophic failure. Not likely, but it could.

As far as getting pack info from the third contact, it isn't likely. The only real way to get more information from a pack is to monitor the current, and you aren't going to get that from another single contact. More likely, a Hall sensor would be in the camera body to measure current. In Lithium cells you can fairly accurately estimate percentage of capacity remaining by keeping track of power drawn from the pack.

This being said, I am no electrical engineer, so someone may very well prove me wrong. I would be happy to know that I am!
05-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #14
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Will CRV3 batteries work?

Will CRV3 batteries work?
05-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #15

I'm actually dumbfound that people would even consider AA batteries to be an option in this case. I admit, I am not an expert when it comes to battery technology but I cannot fathom why AA batteries would be a preferred choice over a dedicated lithium ion battery. The experiences I have had with AA batteries are only negative. I remember AA batteries best from their ability to melt into my electronic appliances.

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
I'm hoping that means faster recharge times and a more accurate account of how much battery life you actually have. A % instead of a bar graph that goes from full, to 1/2 then back to full the to 3/4 then 1/2 then empty then 1/2 then 1/4 then empty then 1/4 then empty.
I would say we would see no real difference in this sort of performance. This is kind of how my AA powered point-and-shoot behaved. And how my DSLR behaves.