Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 01:49 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
Panasonic, I guess, made its batteries w/ a chip to prevent people, for some at least, from buying a 3rd parties spares... isn't it the situation with G1 ?
JVC do this with their camcorder batteries and at an rrp of £99 each they can do one.

05-19-2009, 05:38 AM   #32

The D-LI50 for the K10D was just a rebranded Minolta NP-400. Could it be that it's once again just a rebranded battery. Does it make any sense to make a special battery for just the K7, when there are hundreds of models already out there?

From the one image I've seen of the D-LI90 it kind of looks like a Fuji NP-150 or a Nikon EN-EL3e. If that's the case we'll have plenty of cheap OEM batteries for it.
05-19-2009, 06:57 AM   #33
emr

I wonder about these photos which have been posted earlier. They show the battery options. If I understand correctly, the symbols show there's no battery in the grip but there's one in the body. Right? But the options here include AA. Does that mean that the body also could use AAs?

05-19-2009, 10:03 AM   #34
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I wonder about these photos which have been posted earlier. They show the battery options. If I understand correctly, the symbols show there's no battery in the grip but there's one in the body. Right? But the options here include AA. Does that mean that the body also could use AAs?
I hope so, that would be excellent. Being able to use lithium AAs is something that I miss on my K10D. Means I can hold off on buying a grip for a little while!

05-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sveinmb Quote
The D-LI50 for the K10D was just a rebranded Minolta NP-400.
That is definitely not the case. Both batteries are 7.4v but the Minolta is rated at 1500mAh whereas the Pentax is 1620mAh. In use, the Pentax battery definitely lasts a lot longer.
05-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
I think it has been stated several times lately that the new battery grip will be able to have either one D-LI90 or 6 AA cells both will give you 7.2 volts. I don't think the body will take AA. It dosen't look like it has any room for 6 cells anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
That is definitely not the case. Both batteries are 7.4v but the Minolta is rated at 1500mAh whereas the Pentax is 1620mAh. In use, the Pentax battery definitely lasts a lot longer.
So a 2700mah AA nimh cell is not an AA because they were about 1200mah when they were first released ?

The D-LI50 was released later than the original NP-400 and naturally had a bit more capacity. A new thirdparty NP-400 clone today is 1850mah. The capacity has little to do with the battery model, other than.. well capacity.
05-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by Acliffalay Quote
I hope so, that would be excellent. Being able to use lithium AAs is something that I miss on my K10D. Means I can hold off on buying a grip for a little while!
That would be a major plus in my book. The AA versus dedicated battery issue is like a religious debate. You either see the value of being able to swap to a readily available spare battery, or you don't. I actually enjoy being able to use the batteries in my flash as emergency back up batteries. The performance of good quality rechargeable batteries is very similar to dedicated ones, and the lifetime cost is lower.

05-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
Thanks, y'all. That's kind of annoying, but oh well. Probably won't get the grip anyway so no big deal, but I'd be annoyed if I did and had to take it off every time I wanted to cycle out the in-body battery.
On both the K10D and the K20D with the grip you have 3 choices: use in body battery first; use in grip battery first; or auto (both get used equally). With the "genuine" pentax battery I get an average of 600+ shots per battery charge. What I do if I'm spending a loooonnnggg day shooting is charge up both; select grip first, and when (if) the grip goes dead switch to body first and replace the grip battery with a spare. And continue to shoot with the body battery. I've never had a day where I depleted both batteries, but if I did, I would just switch back to grip first, and continue shooting. I literally cannot conceive of a situation where you would deplete more than three batteries. (1800+ shots) When you get home remove the grip, remove and recharge the body battery. It really is quite simple. I have never had to remove the grip to get at a depleted battery in the body in the field.

NaCl(pretty simple if you think about it)H2O
05-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I'm not mistaken the camera in that photo does not have a grip. That is why the grip battery is "dead" ...it ain't there! I would imagine that the menu choices are always visible. Remember that what you are seeing is pre-release firmware. It is very possible that some of those battery choices would be greyed out if the grip isn't present on the final firmware release.

NaCl(just to stick my oar in)H2O
05-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #40
Veteran Member

So a 2700mah AA nimh cell is not an AA because they were about 1200mah when they were first released ?

The D-LI50 was released later than the original NP-400 and naturally had a bit more capacity. A new thirdparty NP-400 clone today is 1850mah. The capacity has little to do with the battery model, other than.. well capacity.
Who is talking about AA nimh cell???
I was merely pointing out that your earlier assertion that the Pentax D-LI50 was just a rebranded Minolta NP-400 is simply not the case.
The batteries may share the same shape, dimensions and voltage but they are not equivalent as far as capacity is concerned.
05-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #41
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
On both the K10D and the K20D with the grip you have 3 choices: use in body battery first; use in grip battery first; or auto (both get used equally). With the "genuine" pentax battery I get an average of 600+ shots per battery charge. What I do if I'm spending a loooonnnggg day shooting is charge up both; select grip first, and when (if) the grip goes dead switch to body first and replace the grip battery with a spare. And continue to shoot with the body battery. I've never had a day where I depleted both batteries, but if I did, I would just switch back to grip first, and continue shooting. I literally cannot conceive of a situation where you would deplete more than three batteries. (1800+ shots) When you get home remove the grip, remove and recharge the body battery. It really is quite simple. I have never had to remove the grip to get at a depleted battery in the body in the field.

NaCl(pretty simple if you think about it)H2O
Nah, wasn't worried about it running out during a shoot. Just thinking about the hassle of removing the grip every time I wanted to swap out the battery in the camera. Like I said, not a big deal really, but could've been implemented better. Canon's way of 2 batteries in the grip makes more sense for people who don't take the grip off a lot. For people who swap the grip in and out all the time then not a problem whatsoever.
05-19-2009, 03:57 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I was merely pointing out that your earlier assertion that the Pentax D-LI50 was just a rebranded Minolta NP-400 is simply not the case.
I think sveinmb wanted to tell you that capacity may not be part of the NP-400 specification. Actual implementations, of course, all tell their specific capacity. That Minolta sells another capacity than Pentax doesn't make them different specifications. Indeed, a good NP-400 clone should outperform a Pentax original.

Nevertheless, I've run across some cheap clones which were dead after a few cycles. Which isn't due to the difference between NP-400 and D-LI50, of course.
05-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #43
wll
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The D-LI50 for the K10D was just a rebranded Minolta NP-400. Could it be that it's once again just a rebranded battery. Does it make any sense to make a special battery for just the K7, when there are hundreds of models already out there?

From the one image I've seen of the D-LI90 it kind of looks like a Fuji NP-150 or a Nikon EN-EL3e. If that's the case we'll have plenty of cheap OEM batteries for it.
What image of the D-LI90

wll
05-19-2009, 04:18 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
What image of the D-LI90
K-7 bottom view on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
05-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
What image of the D-LI90
Maybe this.
Cropped by me from image by Peter Fang.

EDIT... beaten again

Last edited by falconeye; 06-15-2011 at 05:28 AM.