Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

New flash system

Does anyone expect/heard of a new external flash system with the K-7? (No i'm not talking about weather seals either). If this camera is to appeal to a more professional crowd, it would be nice to see better wireless flash triggering. The 540fgz is a fine flash but the wireless triggering could be a better experience (especially when controlling more than one flash).

05-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No rumors, and I don't expect it.
05-18-2009, 12:08 AM   #3
Forum Member

I hope, there will be new flash, faster recycling time, etc... But time will show ..
05-18-2009, 12:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Haven't heard rumors but yes I'd love to have a better flash available for Pentax.

05-18-2009, 12:46 AM   #5
Forum Member

Yes .. weather sealed will be fine :-) 3 sec recycling time too :-)
05-18-2009, 04:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kolouch Quote
Yes .. weather sealed will be fine :-) 3 sec recycling time too :-)
The Metz 48 AF-1 has a 3.5 second recycling time.
05-18-2009, 04:25 AM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The Metz 48 AF-1 has a 3.5 second recycling time.
I wanna metz 58-af 1 with 3sec recycling time :-) .. but metz flashes controls are not fast for me .. you've to everything change in menu :-/
05-18-2009, 05:02 AM   #8

If Pentax wants to appeal to more event photographers, they sure do need to address their flash system. Pttl is an embarrassment. Lots of fun shooting a bride in a white dress.

05-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unkabin Quote
Pttl is an embarrassment. Lots of fun shooting a bride in a white dress.
I totally disagree. I find that P-TTL works very well for me. Very consistent, and yes, I have absolutely no problem shooting bride in a white dress.

Slugger: what type of wireless triggering problem do you have? I don't have any problem except in bright sunlight which is expected.
05-18-2009, 02:22 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
I totally disagree. I find that P-TTL works very well for me. Very consistent, and yes, I have absolutely no problem shooting bride in a white dress.
It's interesting. I read a quote like this occasionally on this forum, but I also read many describing results like my own. I've shot with Minolta and Canon (e-ttl II) digital flashes, and in my experience there's no comparison. Pentax seems almost broken sometimes. I don't mind compensating in certain situations, but with P-ttl, I feel like I go to the point of fighting the flash rather than compensating. I have other reasons for choosing Pentax, and I don't regret the choice. I do, however, hope for improved flash metering in the near future.

Apologies to the OP for taking this off track. The topic was about wireless triggering.
05-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Pttl works fine, with Metz flashes for me. The Pentax flashes seem more t fault than the Pttl system. As far as wireless triggering in bright sunlight it's a no go or when there are other flashes going off it confuses the system ( other Canikons are the same to ) so I guess this will be what pentax needs to address in the K5. For now the K20D works in Pttl and I can work around the rest.
05-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #12
Veteran Member

If Pentax were serious about upgrading the flash system they'd go to the folks at Pocket Wizard or Radio Popper and say "Here's our command/control codes and full specs. Whip up a wireless PTTL set of your remotes and we'll officially endorse/cobrand them. AND while you're at it, builld/prototype a module that we can build into our bodies." That would leapfrog everybody else, would cost Pentax little or nothing, and it would make your life infinitely easier if you're a serious user of flash. PTTL works fine for me (most of the time), but the triggering is pretty much useless at distance or when there's any decent level of ambient.
05-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
If Pentax were serious about upgrading the flash system they'd go to the folks at Pocket Wizard or Radio Popper and say "Here's our command/control codes and full specs. Whip up a wireless PTTL set of your remotes and we'll officially endorse/cobrand them. AND while you're at it, builld/prototype a module that we can build into our bodies." That would leapfrog everybody else, would cost Pentax little or nothing, and it would make your life infinitely easier if you're a serious user of flash. PTTL works fine for me (most of the time), but the triggering is pretty much useless at distance or when there's any decent level of ambient.
Hell yes.
I had a slightly different idea that I mentioned in the 'dear pentax' thread: If pentax were to design their own radio triggers and engineer their camera/flash system with said triggers, Pentax would take a slice of the radio trigger market, AND a slice of the market of camera buyers who need radios.
I think it would be a smart move and I would DEFINITELY buy two sets of everything. (provided my wedding business does well that year )
05-18-2009, 04:05 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Slugger: what type of wireless triggering problem do you have? I don't have any problem except in bright sunlight which is expected.
Well the sunlight thing is a problem (with all brands). I'd really like to see better control over remote flashes from the camera in all modes (particularly manual) much like the D700 does with multiple flash heads.

I'm not one to throw around the word "pro" very often but this would indeed be a pro feature, tethered or wireless.

As an aside, I wonder if bluetooth is fast enough for flash photography...
05-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
Hell yes.
I had a slightly different idea that I mentioned in the 'dear pentax' thread: If pentax were to design their own radio triggers and engineer their camera/flash system with said triggers, Pentax would take a slice of the radio trigger market, AND a slice of the market of camera buyers who need radios.
I think it would be a smart move and I would DEFINITELY buy two sets of everything. (provided my wedding business does well that year )
Better to let PW or RP do the engineering work using RF licenses that they have already negotiated with each country that they sell in.