Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 03:55 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As i posted before, Sweden get a price chock in January, but now it´s nice price on some lenses. Of course with taxes(only US don´t use taxes);

DA*300 = 1420€
DA*60-250 = 1375€
DA*50-135 = 1010€
DA12-24 = 850€
DA17-70 = 580€
FA50 = 260€
FA35 = 299€

But i guess FA35 and FA50 are on sell out now because
they probably got WR = FA35/2WR and FA50/1,4WR.

05-19-2009, 06:48 AM   #62
emr

I certainly hope Pentax/Hoya doesn't start generally rising the lens prices. The strength of Pentax has been in the bang for buck aspect. Significant rises in prices would certainly make me wonder if I made the right investment last year. That would also make me drop the plans to get limited lenses.
05-19-2009, 07:09 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
But i guess FA35 and FA50 are on sell out now because
they probably got WR = FA35/2WR and FA50/1,4WR.
It's called the DA*55/1.4 and I think you'll find it's a bit more expensive!
05-19-2009, 02:12 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Don´t think so

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
It's called the DA*55/1.4 and I think you'll find it's a bit more expensive!
Do you mean Pentax stop make FA50 because of DA*55?
But why have Pentax stop making FA50 in Japan this year
and start make FA50 in Vietnam and now they shall stop making it?

05-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Well, the $3500 price I quoted includes 25% of our VAT, so it's really $2800... and I live in the most expensive country in the world...
Well that's just crazy then!
05-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bophoto Quote
Do you mean Pentax stop make FA50 because of DA*55?
But why have Pentax stop making FA50 in Japan this year
and start make FA50 in Vietnam and now they shall stop making it?
No, I simply mean that if you want a weatherproof FA50 the DA*55 is available. Therefore it is highly unlikely Pentax would make a different weather-sealed version of the FA50.

Then again, they have four versions of the same kit lens now, which is also highly unlikely!
05-19-2009, 11:54 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
No, I simply mean that if you want a weatherproof FA50 the DA*55 is available. Therefore it is highly unlikely Pentax would make a different weather-sealed version of the FA50.

Then again, they have four versions of the same kit lens now, which is also highly unlikely!
OK, you have a point there, but if Pentax thinking of making all lenses
water resistant...as probably makes all cameras WR(K2000 Super?)

I could not resist the price(380€) on K200D silver with 18-55 II,
a good camera that is lighter than my K10(with batterygrip) and a good light lens.
And a month later i hear about the same lens with WR....

07-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #68

Some of the prices i've seen a totally insane i reently bought the 16-45f4 fot £199, the same company 3 weeks later were advertising it for £349 !!!! On a brighter note i have discovered some Samsung lens bargains such as the 12-24 at currys for £199 !!!!! where as i ve seen the pentax version retailing for over £900 !!!
07-21-2009, 03:04 PM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
A couple of days ago Pentax lens prices jumped more than 50% in Lithuania, dealer says that it's price increase from Pentax.

FA 43mm f/1.9: €725
FA 50mm f/1.4: €434
FA 35mm f/2: €695
FA 12-24mm f/4: €955

And the list goes on...

Does really some idiot think that they can sell lenses for these prices?!

I don't think that price increase is for Lithuania only, Europeans, this is clear message for you: if you plan to buy Pentax lenses, better do ir right now, morons at Hoya decided to become Leica number two...

I still can't believe it. I bought Pentax because their lenses offered best value for the money, now it is completely the opposite. Time to switch to Nikon, now their overpriced lenses look like a bargain compared to Pentax.
You really can't blame the price increase on Hoya. The world's economies are going through an adjustment phase, because of the slow down of the US economy. As the US dollar drops in value against other stronger world currencies prices will continue to rise. If the dollar stabilizes you will see a return of world wide price stabilization.
07-21-2009, 05:39 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
You really can't blame the price increase on Hoya. The world's economies are going through an adjustment phase, because of the slow down of the US economy. As the US dollar drops in value against other stronger world currencies prices will continue to rise. If the dollar stabilizes you will see a return of world wide price stabilization.
I am tired of the "world economy argument".

In the countries where there have been price increases, the jump is FAR more then can be explained by Yen/Dollar fluctuations.

Additionally, the price increases have not been equal across the linup, entry level lenses did not change much, while top lenses increased 50% or more.

Hoya is repositioning their lenses in the market. They just choose to do it at the same time as the economy is in the crapper.
07-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
I still can't believe it. I bought Pentax because their lenses offered best value for the money, now it is completely the opposite. Time to switch to Nikon, now their overpriced lenses look like a bargain compared to Pentax.
Well, Nikon is no bargain either ...all manufactures lenses took a jump, Pentax a bit more than most because they were priced lower (read lower profit margin). Anyway, just checked the Nikon 12-24 against the Pentax 12-24 ...both about the same price and Pentax is rated higher.

If you bought Pentax only because their lenses were less expensive, then you are going to be disappointed. There are however, still some real bargains out there ...the K-7 for instance, I think is the best bang for the buck out there. And the DA* series I feel are still very competitively priced.

I happen to like Pentax glass and while prices are up, I am still sticking with the brand because there is more than just cost in my buying decisions.
07-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I am tired of the "world economy argument".

In the countries where there have been price increases, the jump is FAR more then can be explained by Yen/Dollar fluctuations.

Additionally, the price increases have not been equal across the linup, entry level lenses did not change much, while top lenses increased 50% or more.

Hoya is repositioning their lenses in the market. They just choose to do it at the same time as the economy is in the crapper.
True it's not just the pressure of the yen vs the dollar but all world market fluctuations. It the cost of production goes up in Vietnam Hoya is going to pass the increase alone to the ultimate consumer. If the Vietnam Dong appreciates against the Yen Hoya is going to pass the increase on to the consumer. The pressure to increase prices had long been building long before the real down turn hit.
07-21-2009, 08:49 PM   #73

you can bay lenses from sigma
there is no need to bay original pentax lenses
07-21-2009, 11:35 PM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by koper Quote
you can bay lenses from sigma
there is no need to bay original pentax lenses
Hi Koper,
If any user on this website want to buy an original Pentax lens, it's his own decision. You should take in account several others features:
* quality pictures
* almost the whole budget to get one Pentax lens
etc etc...

I got once a Sigma HSM 30mm f1.4 EX and afterwhat a Pentax smc FA 31mm f1.8 Ltd. I could compare these 2 lenses and I was a little disappointed by the lack of accuracy of the SIGMA lens. Moreover, the color rendition was better with my Pentax lens.
My test was made with my K100D and with the same features for both lenses. Then I gave the Sigma to my brother.

In conclusion, It's not without any purpose if someone really wants to buy a Pentax lens over a Sigma one.

And now, with this increase in price, you have no more alternative. Sadly, I will say that Canikon will take the mark and will win the price competition now...
07-22-2009, 02:53 AM   #75
Veteran Member

Here in SA the prices of Pentax lenses have increased dramatically and are more expensive then the competition i.e. Canon,Nikon,Olympus (who have definitely have a far wider range of good budget primes to choose from).

Therefore if one had to compare a budget shopper wanting to buy into a system the competition is now looking even more attractive.

The Pentax 60-250 is the most expensive (R 19 000!!) in their line up being R 2000 more than the DA 300 which incidentally IS more expensive than the Nikon VR 300 F4.

The new Canon IS kit lens I believe is equal to the Pentax one in IQ yet sells for less?

Dylan