Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2009, 08:30 AM   #91
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by koper Quote
you can bay lenses from sigma
there is no need to bay original pentax lenses
I have seen an increase in the cost of Sigma lenses here in the U.S. Fore example about a year ago the Sigma 105mm was around $379 and it is currently $479.

07-23-2009, 08:54 AM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
People who are justifying the Pentax price hike by comparing to Canikon prices are missing the point. Those two companies have market share, professional network, aftermarket support, product line and used gear way in excess of what Pentax can offer. One of Pentax's main advantages was price. Now that's gone, there's going to be far fewer people choosing Pentax, which will only mean further diminishing sales.
At the camera store where I deal, the staff are all Pentax fans and they sell a fair amount of Pentax gear. In the general market place Canon and Nikon have greater brand recognition and certainly the staff will not talk themselves out of a sale for someone wanting one of those brands. However, Pentax sits on the self with the other brands and while their market share may not be that of Nikon or Canon, I see more people using Pentax gear than I have since the 80's.

For my personal preference, I like the Pentax gear better than the competition, My K-7 and DA* lenses have no competition in my eyes. And I am not saying this as a "fan boy" type of comment, I simply prefer the Pentax formula.
07-23-2009, 09:39 AM   #93

Exactly. That is what the story is about. pentax's revenue seems more and more depending on pentax fans.

And for existing old pentax fans, producing a cheap 50/1.7 make no sense, because we all have DA* 55/1.4 already. So pentax will (and have to) make some "better" lens to satisfy fans. But also keep in mind that less production quantity means more production cost. Eventually it will become Leica No.2

This is very interesting. Consider Sony as the opposite move who just release the cheap 50/1.8 and announce plenty of (cheap?) camera models. (and even flowing the rumor of a budgeted FF, a850?)
07-23-2009, 11:02 AM   #94

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
At the camera store where I deal, the staff are all Pentax fans and they sell a fair amount of Pentax gear. In the general market place Canon and Nikon have greater brand recognition and certainly the staff will not talk themselves out of a sale for someone wanting one of those brands. However, Pentax sits on the self with the other brands and while their market share may not be that of Nikon or Canon, I see more people using Pentax gear than I have since the 80's.

For my personal preference, I like the Pentax gear better than the competition, My K-7 and DA* lenses have no competition in my eyes. And I am not saying this as a "fan boy" type of comment, I simply prefer the Pentax formula.
Hi MikePerham,
I see your answer, you react as a fan boy as everybody on this website would have behaved. Everybody here know the quality of the Pentax stuff. I own myself the FA limited lenses trinity, one F macro lens, a FA 50mm f1.4, a 21mm Ltd DA. If I havent these lenses, how could I manage to tell the very-well-made work of Pentax.

No, the real foreabout is to be stead of a real beginner with no idea where to begin. Pentax? did he only hear about this brand if the so-saying professionals or the Canikon users snuffed Pentax? Please read the story of several pentaxians who should have bear the high self esteem of the Canikon users regarding their gears and look down our stuff.

How to defend a brand if we consider his price market strategy so bad for the newcomers. I would like to spread the fam of my favorite brand but how to make that if its only positive features - affordable quality of lenses, well good build camera - are now its drawbacks?

07-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
People who are justifying the Pentax price hike by comparing to Canikon prices are missing the point. Those two companies have market share, professional network, aftermarket support, product line and used gear way in excess of what Pentax can offer. One of Pentax's main advantages was price. Now that's gone, there's going to be far fewer people choosing Pentax, which will only mean further diminishing sales.

Pentax main advantage has never been price (I don't think Pentax have had a main advantage). At best this is selective price comparisons.
Since I started frequenting Pentax forums in 1995 somebody have always whined about the expensive Pentax lenses. Some lenses are cheaper than Nikon and Canon; others aren't. Funnily enough there were countless whines about the expensive FA 50/1.4 cause the Canon 50/1.8 was cheaper. Not to mention the FA* 80-200/2.8!
Anyway, the latest price increases are mostly on low volume items bought by the Pentax fan anyway. The kit lenses are still competitive. I don't think this price increase will hurt Pentax one bit.
07-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #96
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Pentax main advantage has never been price (I don't think Pentax have had a main advantage). At best this is selective price comparisons.
Since I started frequenting Pentax forums in 1995 somebody have always whined about the expensive Pentax lenses. Some lenses are cheaper than Nikon and Canon; others aren't. Funnily enough there were countless whines about the expensive FA 50/1.4 cause the Canon 50/1.8 was cheaper. Not to mention the FA* 80-200/2.8!
Mostly agree.

Anyway, the latest price increases are mostly on low volume items bought by the Pentax fan anyway. The kit lenses are still competitive. I don't think this price increase will hurt Pentax one bit.
Not sure about that. i don't think a 16-50/2.8 is a fan lens. A pro lens certainy but not a fan lens. Limited alright one could consider them as such.
07-24-2009, 10:25 PM   #97
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax main advantage has never been price (I don't think Pentax have had a main advantage).
I can think of some:
  • price
  • glass quality
  • shake reduction
  • lens compatibility

At best this is selective price comparisons.
How? All the lenses have gone up, some dramatically.

Since I started frequenting Pentax forums in 1995 somebody have always whined about the expensive Pentax lenses.
That doesn't make it untrue now.

So you're saying we should all stick with the kit lenses? And that is all Pentax users need or deserve? That is an odd outlook to say the least.

07-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
A couple of days ago Pentax lens prices jumped more than 50% in Lithuania, dealer says that it's price increase from Pentax.

FA 43mm f/1.9: €725
FA 50mm f/1.4: €434
FA 35mm f/2: €695
FA 12-24mm f/4: €955

And the list goes on...

Does really some idiot think that they can sell lenses for these prices?!

I don't think that price increase is for Lithuania only, Europeans, this is clear message for you: if you plan to buy Pentax lenses, better do ir right now, morons at Hoya decided to become Leica number two...

I still can't believe it. I bought Pentax because their lenses offered best value for the money, now it is completely the opposite. Time to switch to Nikon, now their overpriced lenses look like a bargain compared to Pentax.
Whew..Thank goodness I got all of the stuff for free...

Sorry..not very dignified of me to say that...
07-25-2009, 07:28 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Will you buy a K-7 Benjikan?

I've seen some alternate ads while surfing the web from B&H where Pentax lens prices are up $250 to $350 a piece over normal B&H lens website links. I expect the Pentax lenses to dramtically increase very soon in USA. In comparision all the nikon and canon lens prices in the same alternate ad links are identical to their normal B&H website prices. Here's an example:

Pentax Super Wide Angle SMCP-DA 14mm ...
bhphotovideo.com
BUY »
$949.95

and:

Pentax SMCP-DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 ED SDM Lens Zoom Super ... bhphotovideo.com
BUY »
$1,029.95

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Whew..Thank goodness I got all of the stuff for free...

Sorry..not very dignified of me to say that...

Last edited by Samsungian; 07-25-2009 at 07:47 PM.
07-25-2009, 07:50 PM   #100
Veteran Member

I have been wanting a wide zoom for some time (my 16-50 is the widest I have at present), however, I was waiting in the hope Pentax would introduce their version of the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 ...then the price increse. While I think the DA* series are appropriatily priced, this was one lens that I thought had become a bit overpriced (and perhaps the 35mm macro - glad I got mine before the price jump).

I would gladly pay $1300 cdn. for a DA* version of the 12-24, I think the optical formula is first rate and while I would prefer a f/2.8 I can suffer the f/4.0. Anyway, I see Vistek is now advertising $200 off ...but I think I will hang in there in the hope the 11-16 does become available sometime next year. So for now my LBA will be satiated with the DA* 55 f/1.4 as soon as my Sis-in-law pays me for the K10 I sold her.
07-29-2009, 01:25 AM   #101
Inactive Account

Same situation here in Greece too.

Catalogue prices have doubled to those outrageous amounts.... 460 euros for the 50mm and 630 for the 35mm. Similar changes for the rest of the line-up too...

Good thing I don t need any more Pentax lenses...
07-29-2009, 03:48 AM   #102
Veteran Member

While B&H prices are still holding, order your lens from them.

Just saved $586.00 AUD with shipping & Visa costs to Australia, buying the DA* 50-135.

Thats almost a 33% saving against Oz dealer prices.
07-29-2009, 05:16 AM   #103

just in time

I managed to get the 43 and 77 limiteds just before the prices went loopy on SRS Microsystems.

I got the K20 / 16 - 45 / grip there just before xmas, with the £100 cash back, and these early purchases have saved me about a £1000 in total.

Girlfriend doesn't see it like that though.
07-29-2009, 06:16 AM   #104
emr

In Finland the lens prices seem to have risen in many steps or phases. I believe the first hikes came around Jan/Feb, then April/May. Now the local big retailer (B&M and online) has just raised the price of the DA* zooms from nearly 900 euros to nearly 1000 euros. (Exactly $1391 in today's exchange rate for the 16-50mm BTW!)
07-29-2009, 06:33 AM   #105
Veteran Member

I bought the 16-50/2.8 for about 890eur last week and now it's 980eur at the same store. 50-135/2.8 was less than 800eur a while ago, now 960eur.