Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 09:55 AM   #1

Will new K-7 battery fix SDM lens issues?

I do not own a SDM lens, however, some of the posts talking about SDM problems and often talk about fixing it using two Pentax fully charged batteries. Or, they decide that it may be an electrical connection problem or some other electric related issue rather than mechanical.

Maybe the new battery for the K-7 is in part designed to resolve the SDM issues that have been reported. It does appear that the previous battery was developed before SDM was released so maybe there was not ideal compatibility.

I have read of some people not buying SDM because of this problem. It would be great to get this issue out of the way so it is not a worry. Personally I would prefer if lenses would be a long term investment around bodies that turn over faster so I can rationalize spending more dollars on the lenses.

05-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
what sdm issue?
05-18-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I've never had any SDM issues with either the DA* 16-50mm or DA* 50-135mm on my K10D. Not sure I remember reading about any SDM specific issues, either... please elaborate.
05-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #4

See the Sticky Thread

Go to the lens section. The first item is a sticky thread with many posts regarding SDM issues. Pentax SLR Lens Discussion - PentaxForums.com

05-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

reading through that topic I found one mention of mechanical failure, one of focus delay, and one of constant re-focusing. Which one are you talking about?

I don't own any SDM lens yet, but from what I've seen it's clear most of the complaints/returns is pure mythology. "Bad copies" that are soft in the corners at 2.8, blurred text like this at f5.6...
05-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My first 50-135 was decentered, I sent it back and amazon sent me 2 (TWO ) others as replacements to choose from, I basically got 3 lenses to cherry pick the best from. My 2nd ( well the 3rd one I got but the one I kept ) so fat in 6 months is optically perfect as far as other 50-135s go, AF is a tad slow but thats just the 50-135 in general.

I think the results speak for themselves. I love the 50-135 as a general walk around lens, SDM is fine but it could be faster.
05-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #7

Original Poster
This is not a lens image quality discussion. Have read numerous threads that some SDM lens owners are having AF shut down or sporadic problems. Like most issues, most owners are not having any problems. Seems to be possibly an electrical issue. Some claim to fix it using dual Pentax batteries. If you do a search, maybe beyond this website, you will see quite a few discussions. I am not trying to start a new rumor or Pentax bash. Just focusing on a key area that may need to be fixed for the important SDM line. I have been waiting on an SDM until I hear more information. For me, reliability of lenses is very important. This is why we share info. on the internet sites. Right?

Straw Poll - SDM reliability... - Photo.net Pentax Forum

SDM Problems... [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

DA* 50-135 SDM Failed- Other Canucks? [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
05-18-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Most of the SM af problems were with dirty contacts or actualy motor failures, rare but does happen. Also note most are with teh 16-50, a few with the 50-135. The battery does not seem to be suspect

05-18-2009, 05:17 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks Torphoto,

I hope this proves to be the case, if the motor problems are very minimal.