Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2009, 11:50 AM   #166
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A friend of mine who use nikon for a long time just had an oportunity to check k-7 with buggy but still working firmware. He was excited about how silent the shutter is. Also he mentioned that small size did not make grip uncomfortable. It was surprising to hear his positive impression as he is "nikon's "slave".

05-27-2009, 08:20 AM   #167
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
The K-7 lacks a viewfinder blind, we are stuck with that annoying plastic viewfinder cap. Now that there us a true mirror lock up (at lest I have read it somewhere) a viewfinder blind is a must....
Nah, lets use drapes instead! Black drapes of velvet. That would make something special.
05-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #168
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Nah, lets use drapes instead! Black drapes of velvet. That would make something special.
Back to the fun fun roots of photography!
05-27-2009, 03:01 PM   #169
Veteran Member

For those who are interested I evaluated the K-7 interface in my latest blog article.

05-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #170
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Removing features that made older models unique is a sure-fire way to lose out on a sale (to me).

I don't care if the K7 has movie mode and HDR, it lost the lift-and-turn latching of the SD card door found on the K10D/K20D and as such joined the ranks of the cheaply made Canon XTi and Nikon D40.

Honestly, on a $1,500 camera body, cost cutting should not be a high-priority, especially when it comes to the removal of a feature found on cameras half the price.
05-27-2009, 10:39 PM   #171
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
Removing features that made older models unique is a sure-fire way to lose out on a sale (to me).

I don't care if the K7 has movie mode and HDR, it lost the lift-and-turn latching of the SD card door found on the K10D/K20D and as such joined the ranks of the cheaply made Canon XTi and Nikon D40.

Honestly, on a $1,500 camera body, cost cutting should not be a high-priority, especially when it comes to the removal of a feature found on cameras half the price.
If sealing is the same (or better) and it's still doing it's job, I don't see how a latch on the door is a missing "feature".
05-27-2009, 10:46 PM   #172
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
If sealing is the same (or better) and it's still doing it's job, I don't see how a latch on the door is a missing "feature".
I don't care, I like it
05-27-2009, 11:43 PM   #173
Pentaxian

I liked the little door lock too, but much worse (IMO) is that the other door is made entirely out of rubber.

05-28-2009, 03:27 AM   #174
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ricardobeat Quote
It's a missing feature because a fiddly piddling rubber cries "El Cheapo". A solid door that shuts easily and affirmatively instils a sense of quality and longevity.

The doors on the K100D are not sealed but are a joy to use. Even on an entry level camera like that I'd hate to fumble around with a rubbery something.

Perhaps the K-7 door isn't as bad as it promises to be but if it is then I think it would be a mismatch to the otherwise distinguished appearance and build quality.

Still would love to own one, though.
05-28-2009, 07:41 AM   #175
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
For those who are interested I evaluated the K-7 interface in my latest blog article.
FWIW, exposure compensation button at the top works very well with the K100D. Pressing it and turning the dial at the same time is a piece of cake.

Also, I think the new green button position is better as you can keep the shutter release finger where it belongs, quickly alternating between green button and releasing. Again, this is from my K100D experience.

Apparently, there is no modality to the controls after all. Check this and this comment by JCPentax (Pentax official).

Last edited by Class A; 05-28-2009 at 01:45 PM.
05-28-2009, 08:14 AM   #176
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Apparently, there is no modality to the controls after all. Check this and thiscomment by JCPentax (Pentax official).
But those posts show the four-way controller is in fact modal. One must choose between controlling focus points or the other four functions. The "OK" button toggles between these modes. There is no obvious indication of which mode the camera is in. This violates points 4 and 10 of the Ten Interface Design Principles.

Or have I completely misinterpreted?
05-28-2009, 08:48 AM   #177

QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
I don't care, I like it
The latching mechanism was deleted to save space. The body would have to have been larger to accomodate it.
05-28-2009, 08:57 AM   #178
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
But those posts show the four-way controller is in fact modal. One must choose between controlling focus points or the other four functions. The "OK" button toggles between these modes. There is no obvious indication of which mode the camera is in.
AFAIK, there is an indicator in the viewfinder, and Richard Butler writes in his preview of the K-7 on DPReview that it is very easy to know which mode you're in. I'm guessing the little "AF points" icon in the bottom-left corner of the VF lights up when in the corresponding mode. I hope there's also an indicator on the status LCD.

Last edited by RBellavance; 05-28-2009 at 09:04 AM.