Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 02:45 PM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Like they say, don't knock it til you try it.
Well, there ya go then, that's my first official complaint. I haven't seen a Pentax in stock, in the flesh, anywhere in quite a while. I'll probably have to drive to Dallas to actually put my mitts on one when they do get them in stores. I really hope the K-7 is successful enough to change that.

05-19-2009, 03:02 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
I don't understand why the 1/180 second flash sync is so bad. Can't you just use high speed sync on your 540, 360, or 200FGZs?
No

When you need high speed synch it's usually because the ambient light is too powerful. The last thing you need in that situation is to have your already minuscule hot-shoe flash power reduced to all the brilliance of a Bic lighter being rapidly flicked. Frankly 1/250 would be a bit of a disappointment since it's a limitation the industry has been living with way too long already.

I'm still optimistic that the K-7 will deliver at least 1/500 and become the equivalent of the guy who broke the 4 minute mile. It can be done, even if no one knows it yet.
05-19-2009, 03:20 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm in...

Sync speed.

-Bye
05-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
Not that I am going to be part of the bashing but may as well get all the naysayers a place to start, especially since it has already started.
It's not free. And it's too small for my big sweaty hairy paws. (begin flamebait)Also, it's not "pro".(end flamebait)

05-19-2009, 03:35 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
No
I'm still optimistic that the K-7 will deliver at least 1/500 and become the equivalent of the guy who broke the 4 minute mile. It can be done, even if no one knows it yet.
The Nikon D70 did that years ago, but even Nikon has since rolled it back to 1/250th. The latest Pocket Wizards supposedly allow up to 1/8000th flash sync in what they call "hypersync" mode so long as you're using a compatible TTL flash. I have no idea how they achieve that or how well it works. I'd have to spend over $1000 to get the PW's and a couple of compatible strobes; that's a bit out of my price range for something I wouldn't use all that often. I believe the new Radio Poppers also do something similar, but I haven't read up on them much. So far the PW's are only available for Canon TTL:
Wireless transmitters and receivers - Pocketwizard®

For high speed flash sync I personally think m4/3's is going to be the answer. Unlike the G1 I'm hoping Olympus doesn't use a mechanical shutter at all in there bodies. That should allow sync speeds all the way up to the cameras electronic shutter limit (1/200th on the Panasonic LX3 for example) with any one of my decade-old strobes.
05-19-2009, 04:29 PM   #81
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ILoveVerdi Quote
Magnesium is poisonous! What were Hoya thinking?!?!?!

Yeah but it makes a great fire starter.Might come in handy in a wilderness survival situation
05-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoldenWreckedAngle Quote
I don't think the AF540FGZ can quite put out a full power flash in 1/500th of a second. Its T.5 duration at full power is 1/1200th, and as a rule of thumb the T.1 duration is usually about three times that. So sticking to 1/250th as the fastest is probably safest.

(If anyone with a AF540FGZ and an oscilloscope wants to actually measure the pulse duration for me, that'd be really cool. Metz did just that when I asked for verified details about one of their flash units, but Pentax customer service can, sadly, only repeat that Pentax Japan doesn't tell them this stuff.)
05-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #83
Lens Buying Addict

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bash

Here's a real BASH the K-7 thread

Just another 'Me Too' Camera

05-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
The Nikon D70 did that years ago, but even Nikon has since rolled it back to 1/250th. The latest Pocket Wizards supposedly allow up to 1/8000th flash sync in what they call "hypersync" mode so long as you're using a compatible TTL flash. I have no idea how they achieve that or how well it works. I'd have to spend over $1000 to get the PW's and a couple of compatible strobes; that's a bit out of my price range for something I wouldn't use all that often. I believe the new Radio Poppers also do something similar, but I haven't read up on them much. So far the PW's are only available for Canon TTL:
Wireless transmitters and receivers - Pocketwizard®

For high speed flash sync I personally think m4/3's is going to be the answer. Unlike the G1 I'm hoping Olympus doesn't use a mechanical shutter at all in there bodies. That should allow sync speeds all the way up to the cameras electronic shutter limit (1/200th on the Panasonic LX3 for example) with any one of my decade-old strobes.
There have been several cameras with electronic shutters that could do it. Many are still on the market. To my knowledge no one has done it with a mechanical shutter but I should qualify that with the fact that my knowledge on most camera brands is pretty limited.

The latest gadgets from Radio Poppers and Pocket Wizards do promise high speed synch with Studio Strobes if you shoot one of the two main brands but it's got it's limitations too. The biggest one for me... not available for Pentax.
05-19-2009, 09:00 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I don't think the AF540FGZ can quite put out a full power flash in 1/500th of a second. Its T.5 duration at full power is 1/1200th, and as a rule of thumb the T.1 duration is usually about three times that. So sticking to 1/250th as the fastest is probably safest.

(If anyone with a AF540FGZ and an oscilloscope wants to actually measure the pulse duration for me, that'd be really cool. Metz did just that when I asked for verified details about one of their flash units, but Pentax customer service can, sadly, only repeat that Pentax Japan doesn't tell them this stuff.)
That may be but if it is it simply means that the solution involves a replacement flash as well. I don't want safe, I want fast!
05-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Make a K-5 just because I like the name and remove the video option and sell it for less, that's what I want.
05-19-2009, 09:39 PM   #87
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by F-Stop Quote
Make a K-5 just because I like the name and remove the video option and sell it for less, that's what I want.
How about KW?

LX upside down is K7...MX upside down is KW...

Steve
05-19-2009, 09:47 PM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
How about KW?

LX upside down is K7...MX upside down is KW...

Steve
You pay attention for sure, never saw that before, neat!

But no, needs a number, just like people don't like to buy products/software with a whole number eg. 10, 10.5 just sounds better
05-19-2009, 09:52 PM   #89
Inactive Account

Note to self: never bet stevebrot that he can't do a cryptic crossword...

Me? I'm quite pleased with the camera, at least the texture and echoes we're getting from it, pre-launch.

Bash the K7? I'll bash it and say that Pentax Imaging's website did not take into account those of us living in the future, on this side of the dateline.

I am mildly miffed at the video, but you're not gonna compete if you don't have it in your cam, sadly. It might cost a few sales, which Pentax needs.

I'm still puzzled about the EVF some people say they want. I've yet to see an EVF with the clarity, resolution and speed of a chunk of optical glass.

An overlay, though, of important scene data (eg, the exact area and strength covered by the centreweighted meter) would be most handy.

As long as you can turn it off.
05-19-2009, 11:15 PM   #90
Inactive Account

Not that excited about the K7. Still waiting for a camera that can take full advantage of my FA limiteds.