Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #106
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
I am of course very dissapointed. A black camera with the brand name in white?
Now, that was just darn silly. Pentax should be in *red*!
Because of the wrong colour used for the brand name, the K-7 is doomed and won't sell.
That's a damn good idea. They all have the name in white- be a bit different, stand out, with the name in red. That's very Pentaxish.

05-20-2009, 09:44 PM   #107
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PiratStian Quote
I just wanted to complain about the specs, the price and the looks of the k-7..

The specs vs the introduction price is simply too good, now there is no way I can make up an excuse not to get this camera. And it looks way too cool.. They should have crippled it, made it way more expensive or simply made it butt-ugly if you ask me.

Also, without a grip it will be like my k-m, with the grip it will completely replace my k10d - effectively making both of my dslrs obsolete (except for taking pictures of the new k-7 - unless I can rig up some sort of mirror-system allowing it to take pictures of itself).

To sum up: it sucks.. that's all, thank you..

(*Runs off to stand in line waiting outside the store..*)

I have to agree. The K-7 packs a whole lotta bang for the buck especially combined with the new wr lenses. I'm tempted to ebay my white K-m. But I think I'll hold on to it since she's my first dslr . The K-7 will definitely be the envy of many. The sample pics posted on the Japanese site look great!

/drools over the K-7
05-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sure the camera is good to -10°C, but they forgot to include a de-icer!

What was Pentax thinking?
05-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #109
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Sure the camera is good to -10°C, but they forgot to include a de-icer!

What was Pentax thinking?
I agree! It is the same kind of short-sighted design that added moisture seals, but neglected to supply a built in wiper system.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-21-2009 at 08:40 AM.
05-21-2009, 03:35 AM   #110

QuoteOriginally posted by fearview Quote
no symbian OS and touch screen.

Ah, but can it run Linux ?

Also there's no WiFi. And it doesn't play MP3s.
And it seems that the selection of games is very poor.

I don't predict a bright future for this piece of kit.
05-21-2009, 03:39 AM   #111

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I want a tank full of them with laser beams on their pentaprisms. Is that too much to ask?
Sorry, we've only got mutated K-Ms.
05-21-2009, 03:42 AM   #112
Inactive Account

I don't see the point of that -10C capability. My K20D worked flawlessly in -20C for hours. Just switched it off between the shots and no problems. No keeping inside jacket - just in the bag or exposed to the cold. My old cannon P&S works nicely in -10 as well excluding battery problems.

05-21-2009, 05:48 AM   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I like to be able to support MOST of the camera's weight in my right hand, this looks trickier with the K-7, but I'll wait and see.
The Online Photographer thinks that the K-7 grip actually makes it easier to hold the camera with one hand only. Makes sense, as your hand will be nearer to the centre of gravity.

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
And I use bracketing often enough to be concerned about no dedicated button, but maybe they've thought of some other easy implementation we don't know about yet.
Perhaps the HDR mode will work for you (JPG only, though)?
And I agree, before one has used the camera, one doesn't really know how wrong something might be.

To the posters criticising this thread: You seem to underrate the "sacrificial anode" function this thread could have. All the whining goes here and the rest of the forum stays clean...

I'm a bit concerned about the new doors. Haven't operated them yet, but they look cheaper than those of the K20D and don't seem to do the rest of the appearance justice. Always been a great fan of proper doors and never understood how one can put rubber on anything else then the cheapest P&S.
05-21-2009, 05:58 AM   #114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
My only real gripe is the change to the AF point selection setup. It's going to be a PITA to have to hit okay every time before I can select a point.
EDIT: Originally I wrote this:
QuoteQuote:
You don't have to do it everytime. The camera will memorise your choice even when power-cycled. The OK button lets you switch between two modes: 1. direction buttons take you to the special functionw, and 2. direction buttons control the AF point. Once you select mode 2 once, you will stay in it.

I think this will work like a charm.
But since then I learned that the interface may actually work differently. Since the sources are conflicting, I won't comment before I've tried it myself.

Last edited by Class A; 05-28-2009 at 01:56 PM.
05-21-2009, 06:10 AM   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Because it occurs to me that the lenses that need the least CA adjustment are the DA lenses. It would be nice to have that available for the FA and 3-rd party lenses.
But to Pentax, the lenses that they are the least interested in receiving new magic features are "FA and 3-rd party lenses" and old, classic glass.

Same question: Why did they not include an aperture coupler?

Answer to both questions: Pentax needs to give people an incentive to buy their new glass.
05-21-2009, 06:57 AM   #116

I don't want to bash the K-7 at all, seems like a very cool camera.. but I do wonder about having nothing at all to the left of that pretty LCD in the back, I hold on to my cameras quite a bit there and wonder if it would feel strange to not having anything there any more.
05-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #117
jeffkpotter

QuoteOriginally posted by kathyk Quote
I don't want to bash the K-7 at all, seems like a very cool camera.. but I do wonder about having nothing at all to the left of that pretty LCD in the back, I hold on to my cameras quite a bit there and wonder if it would feel strange to not having anything there any more.
Me too! I'll really miss that. There is a thin bit of space to the left of the LCD but I bet we end up thumbing the LCD all the time. Not good.
05-21-2009, 08:33 AM   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Same question: Why did they not include an aperture coupler?

Answer to both questions: Pentax needs to give people an incentive to buy their new glass.
Too bad they did not instead give me the incentive to buy a new body.

That sort of short-sighted thinking is typical of the competition but I was hoping not of Pentax.
05-21-2009, 09:13 AM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by junyo Quote
My only real gripe is the change to the AF point selection setup. It's going to be a PITA to have to hit okay every time before I can select a point. Or maybe auto point selection will actually work worth a damn now.

That is all.
Really? I hope you're joking............
05-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #120
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Too bad they did not instead give me the incentive to buy a new body.

That sort of short-sighted thinking is typical of the competition but I was hoping not of Pentax.

Well, let's see what Mr Parmar wrote only 2 days a go:

K7, the "me too" camera... - Photo.net Pentax Forum

QuoteQuote:
Robin Parmar , May 19, 2009; 01:35 p.m.

QuoteQuote:
Miserere Mei wrote:

Robin: New concept is a camera with high-end features in a compact body.
Oh is that all? So all that hype about "soul" and a camera for photographers was just a smokescreen for a body not even as compact as previous Pentax models? That's not a new concept to me. Guess I was expecting Pentax to be different.

Ah well, I'm sure it'll be a nice camera just the same. Though with Pentax hiking their prices skyward I won't ever be able to buy one.
So, people it pretty obvious that Mr. Parmar is lacking interest in this shitty Pentax concept not because he's not able to buy it, NOOOOOO (sure ) and he has a bad case our sour grapes. No way! He just wants whats best for Hoya and that is to add a feature that under 1% of any target group will ever require (including him) and the rest of 99% will pay for (including me). Somehow I have a problem with that!

On the same note:
Q: What is the top of persuasion?
A: To be able to convince your girlfriend that you're impotent because you're too afraid that you'll hurt her by having sex.
I guess we have a pretty persuasive guy above!

Radu

P.S. It was about time that pro whiners turn their faces to the past (btw, where the f*&* is the M42 mount K-7 for my 2 SMC Taks, shitty Pentax??????? ) now that K-7 has about all the required features for the future. Of course minus the 1/250 X-sync that causes koluch insomnia or bad dreams.